G&L Legacy Tribute thoughts

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by l88vette, Nov 24, 2020.

1. l88vette

l88vette Strat-Talker

I am considering buying my son-in-law a new guitar for Christmas. I had pretty much settled on a Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat. I've owned a couple of CV's and know they are excellent. Talking with one of my friends he said to give serious consideration to the G&L Legacy Tribute special edition. I see that they are the same price $399 at Sweetwater. None of our local stores stock G&L. Not having played one I am seeking opinions on how they compare to the Classic Vibe. Sweetwater offers an Olympic White and Black with maple board G&L at $399 which is the same price as the Squier. Thanks for your input.

2. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

G&L makes great guitars.

3. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I had a Tribute bass. Other than it being heavy it was an incredible bass. Solid, massive hardware.

Here's today's Stupid Deal of the Day. $299 for a Tribute Tele. Can't beat that. https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid

That would make a great 1st guitar.

soulman969 and l88vette like this.
  4. l88vette

l88vette Strat-Talker

That Tribute Tele looks like a great deal. I think he has his heart set on a Strat style guitar but I may consider that.

5. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Strat-O-Master

I'd choose the G&L over the Squier in that scenario, hands down.

ts808, l88vette, jrbirdman and 3 others like this.
  6. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Strat-O-Master

The G&L is probably a better instrument for the money. I own both G&L and Fender guitars. But mine are both U.S built.

7. 2010cb

2010cb Strat-Talk Member

I wouldn’t hesitate to suggest a G&L. While my experience is with the USA line, I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Tributes.

And some folks don’t like the “Squier” name on the headstock, whereas G&L still calls it a “G&L”, albeit a Tribute. Headstock names never bothered me.

Nice father-in-law . . .

ts808, l88vette and soulman969 like this.
  8. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

+1

And unlike the Fullerton G&Ls, I think the Tribute series holds its value better than Squier.

9. Lewbypls

Lewbypls Strat-O-Master

Honestly, I probably wouldn't go with the g&l in this situation since you are referring to the tribute legacy special. The special models are spec slightly worse than the regular tributes. The regular tributes come with USA made pickups vs the specials come with g&l designed overseas pickups. There was a thread on reddit earlier in the year which I can look up for you. I have played the regular tribute legacys and I thought those were great.

l88vette and soulman969 like this.
  10. lbpesq

lbpesq Strat-O-Master

I had a G&L Tribute Telecaster for a little while that I bought to check out the Evertune bridge the seller had installed. Very nice guitar. Excellent build quality and it sounded and played very well. A lot of bang for the buck.

Bill, tgo

l88vette and StratSounds like this.
  11. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

After agreeing with all of the above I can add that the G&L Legacy was Leo's improvement on his original Strat.

Some of the improvements are the dual fulcrum trem, the PTB passive treble/bass tone controls (both major improvements IMHO) and better finishes than base level Fenders and Squiers.

I've owned many Fender and Squier guitars and basses over the years but over the past few years have become a G&L convert. I feel the value is just that much greater in comparison is all.

But it should also be mentioned that these Special Edition or Limited Edition Tributes may not be identical to a standard Tribute in all respects. They are much like the FSR models Fender produced for certain dealers, made to dealer specs, and shipped directly to the dealers for inspection and any needed adjustment.

The basic guitar is not so much different as possibly the attention to some of the details like fret work and set up and it's likely the rejection rate is lower in order to allow Cort to hit the desired price point which can be $100-$200 less than the retail cost of a standard Tribute. I would not avoid them just know one may require a bit of work to deal with minor issues.

Cedarburger, l88vette and Lewbypls like this.
  12. Lewbypls

Lewbypls Strat-O-Master

You said it better than I could.

Cedarburger, l88vette and soulman969 like this.
  13. soulman969

Same heads up as I mentioned.

Since these models are not inspected in Fullerton prior to shipment a buyer should be prepared for the possibility of some minor issues which need correcting or if you end up with one that's unacceptable to simply do an exchange with the dealer.

Since the same issue also exists with Fenders and Squiers I would not avoid the SE or LE model Tributes but rather be aware that they are produced to meet a lower price point than standard Tributes so as a buyer you're prepared for any issues.

l88vette and Lewbypls like this.
  14. soulman969

Nah, we both offered the same caution and as a G&L fan I believe it's an honest one. The SE and LE models are perfectly good guitars that may only lack a bit of fine finishing compared to other Tributes.

As long as a buyer is aware of this and prepared to deal with it in one way or another they shouldn't hesitate to buy one. They're very sound well playing guitars made by Cort who also builds some very high end models for other companies as well as their own models.

I would rank them above the current Squier CV line most of which sell for $100-$150 more and I would rate the standard Tributes above the Fender Players Series base models as well. I've owned five now and all are excellent guitars and basses in every respect.

l88vette and Lewbypls like this.
  15. Lewbypls

Lewbypls Strat-O-Master

Completely agree. That person might end up liking the SE or LE model since it has a satin neck vs the regular one which has gloss. Hope they keep us updated :D

l88vette and soulman969 like this.
  16. Lewbypls

Lewbypls Strat-O-Master

In terms of enjoyment, I thought tribute legacy > vintage modified 70s strat > classic vibe 50/60/70s 2019 strat

soulman969 likes this.
  17. LTigh

LTigh Strat-Talk Member

In terms of quality, I would say that the Tributes are as good and sometimes better than their Squier and MIM counterparts.

That being said, in my experience G&Ls are more of a "Stratocaster-shaped guitar" rather than a Stratocaster, or rather, they're a different animal that just happens to look similar to a Fender. There are some differences (neck shape, pickup voicing, that PB circuit, the trem) that make it distinct enough that long-time Fender Strat players may notice a difference (I sure did. It's unfortunate, since they were well-made guitars and normally I'd pick them up in a heart-beat as you can get an Option Order American G&L for quite a bit less than a Fender Mod Shop if you don't go too crazy on the options. That, and they're usually a nice bit less than a corresponding Fender).

Dunno if the SiL would notice, or maybe he would and decides that he likes it better than a Fender.

The_Whale, soulman969 and l88vette like this.
  18. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

I’ve had a good experience with my G&L tribute tele that I bought new. Had to bust out the fret file for a few sharp ends, but other than that, it’s been a great player out of the box. I agree with others that say it’s a lot of guitar for the money, neck is really nice, metal flake paint job is flawless, and the pickups sound great.

19. systolsys

systolsys Strat-O-Master

If he's likely to want to pull it apart and swap bits... like when he pulls the body off and repaints it with the logo of his favourite band then a year later falls in with a different group of friends and needs a completely different image... then the Squier is going to have more stuff floating around used.

If he's going to sit and play it... get the G&L. They're great.

20. l88vette

l88vette Strat-Talker

Thanks for all your input and based on that I plan to order the G&L. Not having played one I was leaning a little more to the Classic Vibe. I know he would be happy with either guitar however the G&L seems like it may offer a little more value. Sweetwater says they are expecting another shipment soon so getting it by Christmas shouldn't be a problem. Thanks again.

Lewbypls and soulman969 like this.