G&L USA Legacy

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Lewbypls, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Strat-Talker

I love usa G&L guitars. I have had three. Still have one. They make high quality, custom shop type guitars for little $$. I have never had that model, but love my Asat semihollow Z-3. I wouldn't hesitate.

Miotch, soulman969 and Lewbypls like this.
  2. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Mine aren't that heavy compared to others I've also owned. No more than most Les Pauls or my mahogany body ASAT which weighs nearly 9lbs.

The L2500 goes 9 1/2lbs which is pretty average for an ash body "fiver". It's the heaviest. The M2000 is just under 9lbs (8lbs 13oz) and the Kiloton is 8 1/2 lbs. They're all ash bodies with maple necks.

My PBass goes 9 lbs 4 ozs and a Jazz Bass I sold a year ago was 9 lbs 2 ozs both with Basswood bodies. Most basses run 8 1/2 to 10lbs on average and in the '70s many Fender basses and Gibson guitars were well over 10lbs. I had a PBass and Les Paul that weighed 12lbs.

If you really need something light G&L will build US models from Empress and many of those will go 7-7 1/2 lbs and less. Empress is very resonant which can be either good or bad depending on your point of view. The other issue with extremely light bass bodies is coping with some neck dive.

One other option I can suggest is G&L's short scale Fallout model. They have a smaller body, are lighter, use the same MFD pickups and electronics, and are quite popular with guitarists or those who record at home as opposed to playing live gigs where 34" and 35" scale basses are more commonplace.

Lewbypls likes this.
  3. Lewbypls

Lewbypls Strat-Talker

Yeah I saw a legacy hss with empress wood and it was listed for like 6 lbs which is really light. But I didn't want black since I am pretty tired of the finish.

soulman969 likes this.
  4. soulman969

G&L will build you an Option Order empress wood Legacy in any finish you like and they do have a very nice selection of solid, transparent, and sparkle finishes to choose from. You might pay a little more but you get a one of a kind made to order instrument for far less than most custom shops charge.

StummerJoe, Grux and CB91710 like this.
  5. Lewbypls

Lewbypls Strat-Talker

Just another update, I finally got the guitar after several "attempts" from fedex. I won't make a separate thread for ngd so I will just use this one. First impressions are that lpb is really vibrant and pops way more than other lbp I have seen in person. The guitar feels pretty light at 7lbs 8oz. Came in a hardshell case, a small ziplock with 2 picks and hand sanitizer. It has a gloss neck but doesn't feel like the classic 50s strat that I have.

StummerJoe, soulman969 and CB91710 like this.
  6. Lewbypls

Lewbypls Strat-Talker

Here are some pics of it since there is a rule that if there's no pics, then it didn't happen lol

Attached Files:

7. Lewbypls

Lewbypls Strat-Talker

I would love to hear a comanche in person. I thought that the anniversary line with crimson finish looked great. I wasn't a big of how bare the headstock is since it only has g&l on it and nothing more.

soulman969 likes this.
  8. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

Great guitar......I bet the hard case is heavier than the guitar.....I have more than a few G&L's and those cases weigh a ton....

Congrats and enjoy....

soulman969 and Lewbypls like this.
  9. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Nice. And I like that case much better than the molded plastic case my Legacy came with. But either way, I'm starting to like the foam semi-hardshell Gator case more than any of my hardshells these days.

I love my Legacy. Absolutely great playing, sounding and looking guitar.

soulman969 and Lewbypls like this.
  10. Lewbypls

Lewbypls Strat-Talker

I definitely will enjoy it :D :D :D

Glad I made a awesome choice :D

soulman969 likes this.
  11. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

You got a great guitar, congrats!

StummerJoe and soulman969 like this.
  12. soulman969

That's no lie. I bought lighter weight hard side gig bags for transporting my basses in my own car saving the hard case for when they actually need more protection which is seldom. Like most bolt on neck designs G&Ls are very sturdy.

Lewbypls and crawdaddy like this.
  13. soulman969

I've found the typical G&L "C" profile to be a little beefier than a Fender modern "C". More of a large '60s "C" much like the one on my Robt. Cray.

And happy NGD. The LPB does look great. As I posted before G&Ls finishes are second to none. They have a lot of depth to them that brings out the color and they're highly polished.

:thumb:

Grux and Lewbypls like this.
  14. soulman969

Headstock decals are another buyer spec'd option on US models. G&L has several different ones to choose from.

Here's the current Tribute version that has my attention. It's only available in Oly White but has a mahogany body like my ASAT. The MFD pickups seem to like a mahogany body much the same way P90s do.

https://glguitars.com/product/comanche-2/

[​IMG]

StummerJoe and Lewbypls like this.
  15. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

That's a nice one; congrats!

Lewbypls likes this.
  16. Lewbypls

Lewbypls Strat-Talker

Yeah that is definitely one thing I noticed for sure. The neck on the tribute and this usa legacy are fatter than the modern c that is on a lot of fender models. I love it a lot. The only thing I would do is change the pickguard to tort shell and maybe add a mini switch to add the neck to positions 1 and 2. But as is, I am content and I really don't need another strat

soulman969 likes this.
  17. soulman969

The Commanche and S500 models actually employ a push/pull switch to add the bridge pickup to the neck and any other pickup selection.

The Tribute Legacy doesn't have this option stock but as you say it can be very easily added one of several ways. It can also be ordered as an option on US models. Same mod I installed on my Robt. Cray Strat and well worth the effort. :thumb:

Lewbypls likes this.
  18. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

I didn't know they had changed to a push/pull switch on the S-500s and Comanches; they used to have a mini-toggle for that. Nice; that makes it a cleaner look than the mini-toggle.

19. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

It's still a toggle on the Fullerton models.

Lewbypls likes this.
  20. soulman969

That could well be true CB. I'm personally more familiar with the Tributes since those are what a local dealer tends to stock more of. Also the G&L site hasn't been working well for the last few days so it was tougher for me to verify specs on the differences between Tributes and Fullerton built models.

But safe to say the ability to have a neck/bridge combination or all three pickups active is a feature both Commanche and S-500 models share.

Lewbypls likes this.