Garageband/Clapton

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by jpmist, Aug 27, 2020.

1. jpmist

jpmist Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

Anyone willing to offer me their Garageband settings for a reasonably close Clapton tone? Am thinking "Born Under a Bad Sign" but anything in the ballpark would be much great.

I suck at amp settings and the more options Garageband offers including pedals the more dismal my results. I record straight to my DAW with a USB box and what I usually come up with lacks depth. I like a bit of sustain to lengthen notes but the tone really thins out for me. I currently have it set to a Small Tweed amp with 1X10 Tweed speaker, but I can never get the gain & master right.

Any suggestions much appreciated, thx.

2. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

The compressor can help with that.

Threshold: Low enough to get -4 to -8db gain reduction. If your input gain is set at -12 to -18db then threshold of -24db.
    Ratio: 4:1
    Attack: Close to 0 as you can get
    Knee: Hard
    Make up gain: to taste, +4db should do it.

The compressor should be inserted AFTER the Amp.

jpmist likes this.
  3. jpmist

jpmist Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

Thanks so much! Sounds much much better! Much appreciated. I'm mostly an acoustic guy who records with as few tweaks as necessary so I remain ignorant about amps and pedals

If you're a Garageband guy I have another question. I reuse GB files where I have say, 6 tracks preset for acoustic and vocal overdubs but with my Strat track, after using the same file for a couple of weeks, the Mix knob on my USB box gives me a dry signal only and not the processed signal. I'm assuming that's an document glitch, because immediately after I can set up a new document and add an electric guitar instrument and the mix knob works as it should. Has this happened to you?

4. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

I'm sorry, I don't use GB at all.