Garageband/Clapton

jpmist

Strat-O-Master
Mar 26, 2010
Decatur
Anyone willing to offer me their Garageband settings for a reasonably close Clapton tone? Am thinking "Born Under a Bad Sign" but anything in the ballpark would be much great.

I suck at amp settings and the more options Garageband offers including pedals the more dismal my results. I record straight to my DAW with a USB box and what I usually come up with lacks depth. I like a bit of sustain to lengthen notes but the tone really thins out for me. I currently have it set to a Small Tweed amp with 1X10 Tweed speaker, but I can never get the gain & master right.

Any suggestions much appreciated, thx.

misterwogan

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 5, 2011
London
I like a bit of sustain to lengthen notes

The compressor can help with that.

Threshold: Low enough to get -4 to -8db gain reduction. If your input gain is set at -12 to -18db then threshold of -24db.
Ratio: 4:1
Attack: Close to 0 as you can get
Knee: Hard
Make up gain: to taste, +4db should do it.

The compressor should be inserted AFTER the Amp.

jpmist

Strat-O-Master
Mar 26, 2010
Decatur
Thanks so much! Sounds much much better! Much appreciated. I'm mostly an acoustic guy who records with as few tweaks as necessary so I remain ignorant about amps and pedals

If you're a Garageband guy I have another question. I reuse GB files where I have say, 6 tracks preset for acoustic and vocal overdubs but with my Strat track, after using the same file for a couple of weeks, the Mix knob on my USB box gives me a dry signal only and not the processed signal. I'm assuming that's an document glitch, because immediately after I can set up a new document and add an electric guitar instrument and the mix knob works as it should. Has this happened to you?

misterwogan

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 5, 2011
London
Thanks so much! Sounds much much better! Much appreciated. I'm mostly an acoustic guy who records with as few tweaks as necessary so I remain ignorant about amps and pedals

If you're a Garageband guy I have another question. I reuse GB files where I have say, 6 tracks preset for acoustic and vocal overdubs but with my Strat track, after using the same file for a couple of weeks, the Mix knob on my USB box gives me a dry signal only and not the processed signal. I'm assuming that's an document glitch, because immediately after I can set up a new document and add an electric guitar instrument and the mix knob works as it should. Has this happened to you?

I'm sorry, I don't use GB at all.