Gary Moore Custom Shop Red Strat for 2016?

Neil.C

Most Honored Senior Member
Mar 3, 2012
Surrey, England
Just one in a line of GM sigs.

As has been mentioned he was mainly a Gibson player and has a couple of signature models already. He also owned and played the grail of Les Pauls - Peter Green's guitar.

I wonder what the specs of the Fender model will be?

bandmaster

Strat-Talker
Nov 7, 2015
Next to a Fender amp
Nothing special?

NOTHING SPECIAL!!!!!!!?

Everything to me!

;)

Same here Dude
Back in the 80's that was EVERYTHING to me
I used to have a Fullerton 62 reissue that looked just like it and have rue'd the day I sold it ever since.
I will be saving for one of these

There is no waiting for a slapboard '61 Stratocaster in Fiesta Red. One can have it through the time machine series in NOS, CC or Relic. Check the Fender CS website.

So what would be so special about a Gary Moore Strat? He didn't modify his Strat as far as I know. Just a stock '61 Strat.
I understand signature guitars if the artist works with Fender on the specs like Eric Johnson, Jimmie Vaughan, Knopfler, Clapton etc.

echoes71

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 15, 2013
USA
I'll add the "can't get on with the 7.25" radius, because my string bends keep choking out" comment frequently seen here.

Yeah that's the biggest load of BS that gets argued around here, 3+ decades of Strat players didn't have any problem with it, cracks me up.

Rockape

Oct 23, 2008
UK
There is no waiting for a slapboard '61 Stratocaster in Fiesta Red. One can have it through the time machine series in NOS, CC or Relic. Check the Fender CS website.

So what would be so special about a Gary Moore Strat? He didn't modify his Strat as far as I know. Just a stock '61 Strat.
I understand signature guitars if the artist works with Fender on the specs like Eric Johnson, Jimmie Vaughan, Knopfler, Clapton etc.

Fair point, but to say that combination is "nothing special" (all personal opinion I know, and I am speaking in a fun light hearted way).

I will be VERY interested if they release an American Vintage '59 rosewood neck in fiesta red though.

:)

Murphcaster

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 17, 2013
WV

That's true...but if it's the same model I'm thinking of, I'll always say no to jumbo frets and texas special pickups. For me that just doesn't mesh with an early 60s strat.

monwobobbo

Strat-O-Master
Aug 30, 2010
scottsville ny usa
if i was to buy a custom shop sig guitar this would be it. love gary and this strat is just awesome sounding. if the CS version can capture the same base tone then i think it would be great. not likely i'll be able to afford one but who knows. for those who say that gary mostly played Gibsons you obviously haven't heard his early 80s albums which were mostly recorded wit this strat. check out the WE Want Moore live album for some of the thickest, nastiest metal tones ever produced by a strat.

Neil.C

Mar 3, 2012
Surrey, England
^^^
But that's all down to the amp and his playing isn't it?

A simple guitar is not going to capture Gary's base tone any more than it will capture Jimi's.

We've all got Strats but we don't sound like Jeff Beck, Buddy Guy, Richie Blackmore etc do we?

bandmaster

Strat-Talker
Nov 7, 2015
Next to a Fender amp
That's true...but if it's the same model I'm thinking of, I'll always say no to jumbo frets and texas special pickups. For me that just doesn't mesh with an early 60s strat.

I hear you, I am not much of a Texas Special/ Jumbo frets fan either and really would prefer 7.25" radius.

Fair point, but to say that combination is "nothing special" (all personal opinion I know, and I am speaking in a fun light hearted way).

I will be VERY interested if they release an American Vintage '59 rosewood neck in fiesta red though.

:)

I didn't say the combination is not special, actually my first Masterbuilt order was a slapboard Fiesta Red Strat light relic made by John English. Beautiful instrument, but I never bonded with it. John talked me into quartersawn neck with Brazilian fingerboard, it was a very trebly/ harsh sounding guitar. Tried several different PU's, but didn't help and I ended up selling it.

Here is a picture of John and my guitar the day I picked it up at the custom shop in 1998

MB'60Strat 1.jpeg

monwobobbo

Strat-O-Master
Aug 30, 2010
scottsville ny usa
^^^
But that's all down to the amp and his playing isn't it?

A simple guitar is not going to capture Gary's base tone any more than it will capture Jimi's.

We've all got Strats but we don't sound like Jeff Beck, Buddy Guy, Richie Blackmore etc do we?

yeah i understand that but if the guitar at least can duplicate the basic sound that gary's strat has then that is a step in the right direction. this most likely would ahve more to do with getting the pickups to sound as similar as possible. sure i know that even if i had gary's strat that i wouldn't automatically sound like him. hasn't stopped me from trying though as his strat tone on the song Cold Hearted (studio version from Corridors Of Power) is what i'm shooting for.

Neil.C

Mar 3, 2012
Surrey, England
^^^
AFAIK there wasn't any magic stuff about Gary's red Strat just an early 60's stock guitar maybe a bit of a partscaster like Eric's Blackie?

I daresay the new CS model will just be a relic'ed red '60's Strat with CS '60's pickups.

slowesthand

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 23, 2011
NY
Yeah that's the biggest load of BS that gets argued around here, 3+ decades of Strat players didn't have any problem with it, cracks me up.

That is not entirely true that 3+ decades of Strat players didn't have a problem with 7.25". A LOT of famous players guitars had the fingerboard flattened.
In Dan Erlewines book , " How to make your electric guitar play great" he measured the specs on many famous players guitars, over 90% had a flatter radius than 7.25". It was very common to flatten during a refret, and many players also went with bigger Gibson frets.

Rockape

Oct 23, 2008
UK
That is not entirely true that 3+ decades of Strat players didn't have a problem with 7.25". A LOT of famous players guitars had the fingerboard flattened.
In Dan Erlewines book , " How to make your electric guitar play great" he measured the specs on many famous players guitars, over 90% had a flatter radius than 7.25". It was very common to flatten during a refret, and many players also went with bigger Gibson frets.

A LOT of famous players?

Surely not MOST famous players?

I would think that a large proportion played them without that mod; just my guess.

Last edited:

echoes71

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 15, 2013
USA

I would further argue that they only became flatted from fretwork as time went on, not on purpose.

slowesthand

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 23, 2011
NY
I would further argue that they only became flatted from fretwork as time went on, not on purpose.

But why wouldn't the luthier just restore the original radius while refretting?

Seems strange so many guitars ended up with a flatter radius.

When you look at Fender signature models very few players specify 7.25".

Murphcaster

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 17, 2013
WV
But why wouldn't the luthier just restore the original radius while refretting?

Seems strange so many guitars ended up with a flatter radius.

When you look at Fender signature models very few players specify 7.25".

Not sure sure about a 1 piece maple neck, but a two piece (either a maple cap or slab of rosewood) only has so much material to work with when re-fretting. If you decide to re-radius a two piece neck to 7.25 you'd likely be removing a lot more material than is necessary, not to mention cutting down on the lifespan on the neck. Just wouldn't seem logical to re-radius a neck to 7.25 after a re-fret.

I'm no expert, but I believe saying "so many guitars ended up with a flatter radius" might be a bit of hyperbole. Just my opinion but I find it hard to believe guitar players, or at least Fender players, of old had anal retentive concerns about radius, fret size, etc. that prompted them to have their tech immediately take a sanding block to a new guitar just to get a flatter radius. Like our friend Ron Kirn and others have said before...they just played the things.

Mekhem

Strat-Talk Member
Oct 23, 2010
Minneapolis
What I heard was this:

A CS Master Builder got to handle the actual 61 strat in question and got to make all of the measurements of the guitar, body, and pickups, wiring etc.. So not a stock CS 60's strat painted Fiesta Red.

However - if its a 9.5 with 6105's I am not sure people will complain.

FiestaRedStrat

Strat-Talk Member
Jan 5, 2010
Michigan
Hmmm....the plot thickens: The above was removed from the Fender Custom Shop website yesterday, and today the link to it has been removed from the official Gary Moore website.