1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

GAS has beaten me yet again... NAD!

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Cold Shot, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Strat-O-Master

So I have a few amps lurking around; A Fender HR DeVille 410, a Marshall DSL40C (Not CR), a Peavey Ultra 112, Classic 30, and Classic 50 212 combo, as well as my Gen 1 Line 6 Spyder 50W. I can nail just about any tone I want, but there was something missing. I couldn't figure out if it was a Vox-ish clean/dirty sound I was missing, or a truer Marshall Plexi-ish sound I was missing. I YouTube-d the crap out of AC15C1, AC10C1, Marshall Class 5 combo, and Marshall Origin 50C videos.

I like combo amps, so I was trying to keep heads and external cabs out of the equation. I hit GC Used every single day trying to find the right deal on the right amp, meanwhile narrowing down my focus onto either an AC15C1 or a Class 5 combo. GC has a Class 5 combo for $319.99 plus shipping and tax, which is pretty good, but I've always liked higher wattage amps, with my Classic 30 being my lowest at... well... 30 watts. However, I have heard that the AC15C1 is a blisteringly loud amp for its size (totally giggable) and I can't afford nor need the weight of an AC30C2. I love the looks of the Class 5 combo, but it, although exceptionally loud for it's size, doesn't have much clean headroom. I prefer 12 inch speakers in most combos (I realize the AC10C1 and Class 5 both have 10's, but I was willing to make an exception.), so the only Origin amp I would want is the 50C (Also, the 20C has a fixed bias and I prefer to adjust my bias manually.), and the CHEAPEST one I found was $469 (+ shipping and tax), which is just a bit too much.

A deal came out on an AC15C1 last night on GC Used for $399 in Great condition and I almost jumped on it, but I stopped and listened to some really good AC15C1 videos again and I realized something. The Vox clean isn't what I was looking for. The OD tones are fantastic, but the Vox cleans are just a bit too chimey for me. I like my cleans to be equal parts treble-y and mid-y. And my Hot Rod DeVille does that in spades. And when I A-B'd the Vox dirty tone and the Marshall Plexi-ish dirty tone, I preferred the Marshall. Well, this morning, the GAS gods smiled upon me. I typed in "Origin 50c" in the search bar just for kicks and found THAT deal I was looking for. Y'all know the one. The one that makes you go "HOLY ****!!" The GC in Chattanooga, TN was selling a Great condition Origin 50c WITH the footswitch for $349.99 (Again, +shipping and tax) and I couldn't order it fast enough. I called the GC to make sure it was still there and not claimed yet and he told me there's a minor ding on the left side. I realize it's not an English made Marshall, but neither is my DSL40C and it RIPS. I'm hoping for my shipping confirmation in the next couple of days and I hope to be jamming on it early to mid next week sometime. I can't WAIT! Only picture I have is the one provided by GC, but I'll get some real pics once I bring it home. download (1).png

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  2. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

Yeah...I'd take that deal any day of the week. Congrats!

3. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Strat-O-Master

It's actually the second time I came across this deal. Another Origin 50C was dropped to $350 about a month ago and I ordered it, but had to cancel it immediately because I needed the money elsewhere for more important matters at the time and it slipped my mind. Not the case this time. This one's MINE.

4. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

Great deal, CONGRATS!

3bolt79, Blackmore Fan and Cold Shot like this.
  5. fretter

fretter Strat-O-Master

Thanks, I just bid on some gear. o_O

3bolt79 and Cold Shot like this.
  6. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-Talker

Can't have too many amps.

3bolt79, Cold Shot and dante1963 like this.
  7. Jesse414

Jesse414 Senior Stratmaster

Cool amp your getting. I like those origins alot better then the dsl line they just sound much better to me. Congrats :)

8. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Strat-O-Master

Happy to help!

fretter and 3bolt79 like this.
  9. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Strat-O-Master

My amp GAS has been absurd lately. I'm on a mission. LOL

Collin D Plonker and 3bolt79 like this.
  10. wjsb316

wjsb316 Strat-Talker

I personally feel like I'm at the ceiling of gear. Ive got a jp2c, a vh4, a George allasandro super reverb, and a bludotone Mordecai (on order, arrival Sep. '21)

My wife feels id light a stack of cash on fire if i thought it would sound good.

Jesse414, 3bolt79 and Cold Shot like this.
  11. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Congrats on your purchase, Hope you enjoy it!

12. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Strat-O-Master

I'd like to get an HX Effects after this Marshall, but honestly, I think I'd rather just build an actual pedalboard. I've already got the delay, chorus, and a good OD. If I had a compressor, an octave pedal; a fuzz, a phaser, a boost, and a good reverb pedal, I'd be set. My old Digitech RP155 is doing a fine job holding me over in the meantime.

3bolt79 likes this.
  13. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

Congrats on finding your “precious”. HNAD!

Cold Shot, Stonetone and Jesse414 like this.
  14. stormsedge

stormsedge Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

I actually think I saw that amp when I was in GC Chatt last week. It looked nice. I was too enamored with a really beat up Super Twin to give it a close look...finally deciding I could buy something new and better suited for me than what it would take to buff that one up (truth be told, I have plenty of loud amps :rolleyes:).

HNAD!

Cold Shot likes this.
  15. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Strat-O-Master

LOL!!! I see what you did there.

Small world!

16. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

A lot of people slam the Marshall origin for some reason (not sure why).
    Honestly I have never played one, so I only have YouTube demos to go on....
    They sound like a Marshall to me.
    Like a jtm.... kind of clean and round.
    They can crunch up pretty nice, but not dsl territory.
    To me.... the cleaner Marshall sound is more desirable than the high gain Marshall sound. I like the old Marshall with a tube screamer in front type of vibe, or just an old Marshall cranked full tilt (when possible).

I think the origin series tries to Capture that. Should be a good amp purchase.

Cold Shot likes this.
  17. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Strat-O-Master

The boys at the Marshall Forum praise it... mostly. You always have those one or two guys in every crowd that have to find something wrong with it. I have heard that it's not a plug and play amp and that I'll need to tweak it, but I do that anyways. And, because it's essentially a Plexi style amp, it needs to be cranked up to sound its best. Works for me!

rocknrollrich likes this.
  18. SoulSurfer

SoulSurfer Strat-Talker

Oh my, the Peavey Classic 30, and Classic 50 212! They were the "ones who got away". Actually preferred them over all my previous amps. Dang that 50/212 weighed a T-O-N! I had to put casters on it.

Now my KPA (Kemper Profiling Amp) gives me all that without the weight LOL.

Cold Shot likes this.
  19. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Strat-Talker

Congrats, hope you enjoy it when it arrives. Sounds like a heck of a deal.

Cold Shot likes this.
  20. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Strat-O-Master

The Classic 30 was bought from a good friend for $150 and it is in stunning condition for its age and the Classic 50 was received in a trade for my Peavey 212-6 cabinet. I liked the cabinet quite a bit, but I just prefer combos. I wanted to run the cabinet with my DSL40C at the same time, but the resistances just didn't agree with each other and I'm not a fan of blowing stuff up out of ignorance. They're both 90's amps and both, because of that, Meridian made. Funny thing is, I got them literally a week from each other. What are the odds?

I have no doubt I will. My expectations of this amp are right where they need to be. Old school 60s and 70s Marshall cleans and grit. A lot of people who hate the Origins have the idiotic expectation that just because it's a Marshall, it's supposed to be able to play metal.

It's like buying a Silverado and expecting it to perform like a Camaro or Corvette just because they both say Chevrolet. I'm buying a Silverado because I need a truck, if you catch my drift. :D