GASing for BASS

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Dreadge, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Dreadge

Dreadge Strat-O-Master

Guys, I've never experienced any GAS for that much of guitar stuff, than I'm GASsing for a bass guitar, right now.
    Donno what it is?! Maybe it comes with age...
    Anyway, because I've been collecting guitars all my life, now I've come to conclusion that I need a bass guitar and maybe change a direction a bit.
    This is the problem... there are too many "lead" guitar "players" in my town and no one wants to take a role in a rhythm playing. Bass players are no where to be seen...
    Since my band fell apart last year I've decided that maybe I should take a bass guitar and start playing somewhere where the other 90 % of them are guitarists. I don't have a problem with that. I'm just sad there aren't many bands and there isn't much love for music right now.

Now I've been on the urge to get a decent bass for all gigs. Nothing special, considering I have a expensive guitar taste. Just something to get me running.
    I'm looking for a P-bass or Jazz or in between like PJ. Nothing eye stabbing! I'm an old fashion guy.
    But these Sire Marcus Miller basses look they do much for the money.

Sooo, what's your opinions about this that can help me decide what bass should get.

P.S. Since there is a talkbass forum, and there are a lot of well established bass players that know it all, I need a opinion from a guitarist that, maybe, has been in a similar position as I am no.

Thanks!

circles, Rastus and Mansonienne like this.
  2. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

A Fender Jazz bass can do it all, and has a nice slim guitarist friendly neck.

Having said that, I just sold my Jazz bass and got a Thunderbird.....similar slim neck, shorter scale length, awesome sound.

Dougeryb, Mansonienne and Dreadge like this.
  3. Dreadge

Dreadge Strat-O-Master

Jazz if what I'm getting myself into, but a P bass or a PJ is that kinda sound I'm going for.
    It really has a mean sound when it needs to be mean. And with that pickup combination I think I can cover pretty much all.
    Thanks!

stratobiker likes this.
  4. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Silver Member

Admin Post
    I don’t have any shopping advice for you (apart from the usual go try a few and see what feels and sounds right), but I can say I’m very glad I took up bass, as it’s allowed me to play much more with others than I would have been able to otherwise. And bass is fun! I’m sure you won’t regret it.
    Happy shopping (I’m totally GASsing for a Fender bass...)!

Rastus and Dreadge like this.
  5. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Yo,

It's the hardest job in the band, ( next to singing perhaps ), so don't for a minute think that your life will be easier lol !

Every other instrument in the band can stumble here & there, but when a bass stumbles, the whole band falls over...

All the best with your new chosen instrument ! It has the most important job, but with often the least recognition or appreciation.

Have fun, lots of success, & all the best,

Rastus

NB. The bass I use for recordings is essentially a Fender Jazz-bass copy, but kitted-out with both a hum-bucker & single coil pick-up. This is IMO a very desirable combination for a sonic variety of musical styles, from jazz to metal.

stratobiker likes this.
  6. Dreadge

Dreadge Strat-O-Master

I'm a Fender guy all the way. Even If some of tho
    Thank you for the reply. Every word is in it's place. It's always harder to be a part of something when it's your first try. But I will try because, I'm looking for something fresh for my music.

Considering that Jazz and P type is my main goal, I would like to hear some brands that are good for the buck.

Rastus, stratobiker and Mansonienne like this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Most Honored Senior Member

Several good options for the buck that I've owned at various times.

-Washburn XB-100
    -Yamaha
    -Greg Bennett
    -Rogue (sold by Fender I believe)

I have gotten two Washburn XB-100s over time and paid $40 for one and $35 for the other. I converted the first one into JPJ and a 5-way Strat switch, the neck pickup is located up where a Strat neck pickup is located so I get really low bass when I want it plus some funky fun tones. This is the one I've kept. Greg Bennett and Washburn are ghost built by Samick. Not sure who is making the Rogue for Fender.

You can do this with an octave-up pedal (I think that's what I remember they use) and a bass.

8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

Both Washburn and Yamaha will give you a lot of bass for short money, especially in the used market. The PJ setup will give you ton of versatility, too.

Dreadge and Rastus like this.
  9. Mansonienne

10. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

Dreadge and Mansonienne like this.
  11. Mr. Lumbergh

My first bass was an Ibby and I played that thin neck for 10 years not knowing any better, great bass for the money, but once I discovered thicker necks there was no going back for me.
    So, OP, definitely play it first and see how it works for you.

Dreadge and Mansonienne like this.
  12. johnnymg

The neck on my Ibanez isn't thin.

13. Mr. Lumbergh

I’ve never played the Talman, just the Soundgear. The Soundgear models I’ve tried all seem to have the thinner neck.

14. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox

PJ is awesome. I got a J tweaked into my 1978 P bass. I also have one of those Squier Jaguar Bass Specials with PJ with the 9 volt batt in the back, heck of a nice instrument for the price. I ended up pulling swapping the neck on it for a fretless J. I still want to get one of those short scale mustangs with the PJ, now that looks like fun.

billybuck, Dreadge and Mansonienne like this.
  15. johnnymg

I’ll measure the Talman neck when I get home in a little bit.

What #’s do you consider as thin and thick for bass necks?

Edit:
    Neck thickness measured right behind the fret:
    1st fret: 0.860"
    12th fret: 0.970"

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    Dreadge likes this.
  16. Mr. Lumbergh

My Ibby’s in storage in NorCal so I can’t measure it, but I can check my Schecter tonight.

Dreadge likes this.
  17. Dreadge

Dreadge Strat-O-Master

You

You know, I've just seen today this model of Squier. But it was in sunburst.
    I think it's great that they make 2 versions of it with a regular scale and short scale.
    So for what I'm thinking now, it may be the perfect choice for me.
    Thx Mansonienne!

Mansonienne likes this.
  18. Dreadge

Dreadge Strat-O-Master

Thank You, would mean much to know the specs first hand. :)

19. Mansonienne

Admin Post
    This Fender Player series is a new line (not available everywhere yet - maybe it’ll be officially launched at NAMM?) so I guess one has a choice between Fender Player short scale and Fender Std long scale - or Squier, of course.
    The Player also exists in red and pau ferro and a yummy sage green metallic and pau ferro...
    http://www.pourlesmusiciens.com/fender-player-jaguar-bass-mex-pf-sage-green-metallic.html
    Guess I’ll wait until they’re in stock and go try them out. I love the look of the tidepool and maple but may prefer the feel of a pau ferro fretboard....sigh. Now I just need to find 750€...:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  20. Mansonienne

Dreadge likes this.