GC called regarding my lessons

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Antstrat, Apr 6, 2020.

1. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

Every lesson would end in appreciation of "Gangstas Paradise" by Coolio :D.

2. rgbedard

rgbedard non-compliant Strat-Talk Supporter

I do lessons via video with my buddy on the other side of the planet. The lag causes some challenges, (can't play together in real time) but overall, I prefer my buddy to other instructors I have tried.

Antstrat likes this.
  3. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Senior Stratmaster

I’ve been doing them with my instructor- they’re not so bad. Better than nothing.

Antstrat likes this.
  4. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Most Honored Senior Member

My kids have been continuing their instrument lessons (viola and clarinet) via video chat and it has been working really well. They continue to make good progress.

It's also a way of supporting the music teachers. Imagine if all of their students quit all at once.

Antstrat and ZlurkCorzDog like this.
  5. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Most Honored Senior Member

Now that you have an idea of what a lesson consists of, maybe you can pick a subject (skill) you'd like to work on, and do it on your own. It won't substitute for the teacher, but it can keep you improving, and when you do get back with the teacher he can help you fine tune what you've learned.

Antstrat likes this.
  6. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Senior Stratmaster

I received the same call from my local GC but my instructor is not participating in that program just yet. I don't want to use someone else so I am practicing on my own. But if you can get with your instructor do it anyway. It will maintain discipline, put a few bucks in his economy and you might find you like it.

NC

Antstrat and joe_cpwe like this.
  7. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

My friend had to change giving lessons to online. He's using Skype and Zoom, depending on the student. He's had to make some adjustments but he's two weeks into this now.

Antstrat likes this.
  8. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

My wife is a part-time music teacher at a small Catholic school (Grade K5-8th) She normally gives private piano lessons to about 10 kids per week and 8 have stayed on, using ZOOM.

My daughter (voice major in college) gives a few voice lesson per week using ZOOM now also. She doesn't like it as much. She's a real people person. Although we encouraged her at this time to try and get some more students online she's keeping it as-is and will build it up when things re-open.

I have yet another daughter that is still taking her piano lessons, via ZOOM.

All the lessons I've been able to overhear seem very productive. Maybe not 100%, but still very valuable. Productivity of lessons are usually determined by the hunger and work ethic of a student anyway, regardless of how interaction with the teacher is done.

So, people have different comfort levels and approaches.

As a side note, my daughter (voice major) finally embraced the idea to quite her regular job at assisted living home about a month before the virus crap hit. We're grateful she's following her passion, grateful she's not exposed to more pressure & death because of the virus, although I'm sure she would have been a great comfort to them. Anyway, she has almost no income because of the timing.

rgbedard and Antstrat like this.
  9. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Most Honored Senior Member

I would say that even if the productivity was 70-80%, it's still worthwhile just for the continuity. Where it really falls apart is for an ensemble. My son's orchestra teacher had them practicing a piece and it sounded like a howling cat...pure utter noise between feedback, latency, etc.

joe_cpwe and Antstrat like this.
  10. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

That's about right. The camera/mic situation is good then it works good for just the student or teacher playing. When it's playing together, like accompanying a singer, then things fall apart w/out using one of those music collaboration sites.

11. nuculer terrist

nuculer terrist Senior Stratmaster

If you can interact with a teacher you already know and like their style of teaching, why not try video/Skype lessons with him. Go back to in person lessons after this coronavirus

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Numbercruncher and Antstrat like this.
  12. jwj1701

jwj1701 Strat-Talker

I got the same message. Tallahassee closed a little over a week ago. I’ll wait and go back when it’s over myself