Gear Storage in Shed

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Voxman, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Voxman

Voxman Strat-Talker

I'd like some help in this regard from those with experience.

I have to store some gear in a shed, my main and monitor speakers, my PA head as well.

Being that it will be summer soon, and inside a shed can get much hotter, is it safe to store this gear in a hot shed?

It will hit 100 degrees plus (actually in a heat wave right now, today was 106).

Thanks

2. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Your foam speaker surrounds and cheap capacitors won't like being baked @ 200 degrees every day.

Maybe paint the shed white and put up a solar powered roof vent

dbb541 likes this.
  3. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

It depends on the shed. If it's well built, sturdy, watertight, well ventilated, and secure, maybe.

Some sheds are solar ovens, some are breeding grounds for mold and spiders. Most are easy targets for thieves. Metal kit sheds are often all of the above.

If heat is the main concern, stick a thermometer in there and check it between 1&3 p.m. on a hot, sunny day. So you know what temperature you are dealing with. If it's over 120f I wouldn't do it.

4. Voxman

Voxman Strat-Talker

Thanks for the replies.
    It is a wooden shed, already white, it is vented and rain doesn't get in, plus it rains so infrequently, I live in a dry desert so mold isn't an issue at all, just the heat.

I'll measure temp today in the afternoon and see where it's at.

5. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

I would try to find a climate controled space for the head. Foam, and capcitors can be replaced easily in a worse case scenario.

6. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Probably not really a good idea.

Voxman likes this.
  7. AdrianCD

AdrianCD New Member!

You do what you have to do sometimes.

I use my shed during summer months as a "band shack", great practicing guitar with the feeling of "outside". I put the amp I care about least in there, and a cheap but trusted tele knock off, a microphone and a sense of humour. One thing I learnt after the first summer: cut an air vent low to the ground and one as high as practical on the wall (near the roof apex) - with metal mesh on it to stop critters etc coming in. The top air vent lets the heat exit the roof area, the lower can help with a natural chimney effect, circulating the air in from the bottom the the heat out at the top. I have that on the far wall, on the entrance wall - the one with the door, I have another air vent as high as practical, that can encourage any cross breeze from the door wall to the far wall.

My other suggestion is mouse traps. You don't want the surprise of cables being chewed up, mess on your pedals or them taking a liking to your amps.

Good luck.

Voxman and jrbirdman like this.
  8. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

No

Sheds are for hoes :whistling: & shovels :D

Voxman, Groovey and bbarott like this.
  9. GitGeek

GitGeek Livin' After Midnight Gold Supporting Member

A closed shed like you describe, if it's in direct sun, even with venting, will be around 20-30 degrees above ambient.

To give a sense of how hot 120 is, that's about the temp you can hold your finger for just a second or two on something before you pull away going "dang, that's hot!".

I would not want my gear stored in 120+ degree heat for any length of time.

Voxman likes this.