Gen 4 Noiseless Pickup Output Problems

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by ChipStevens, Jun 6, 2020.

1. ChipStevens

ChipStevens New Member!

Hi there, I recently picked up a new set of the Gen.4 Noiseless pickups for my strat. After installing them, I checked the setup with the old screwdriver tapping method to make sure it all worked. The neck pickup is much louder than the middle and bridge. I even put the pickguard on the guitar and strung it up to verify and the neck is very loud and the middle and bridge are barely there.

I've done guitar electronics for a long time and never had any issues like this, but this is also my first set of noiseless pickups. Am I missing something stupid, or did I maybe get a messed up set of pickups? Since it's my first noiseless set I followed the supplied wiring diagram and used all new pots (250k like the diagram) and switch. I even reflowed the solder on the wires coming from the little pcbs on the bottom of the pickups but no luck.

I would appreciate any help!

2. donm1104

donm1104 New Member!

Easier to help if you post pics of wiring you did

3. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

This probably sounds dumb but does lowering the loud pickup help at all?

Bob the builder likes this.
  4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Senior Stratmaster

Assuming you've tried balancing techniques, and verified the wiring, you might check to see if the middle pickup is authentic. Somebody might have returned them with a substitution.

5. ChipStevens

ChipStevens New Member!

I can post some pics. This isn't a balancing problem as I tested this outside of the guitar by tapping with a screwdriver and it does the same thing. I doubt they're fakes, I bought them new sealed in the box from a reputable store and they still had the little bits of wire insulation ready to be pulled off on the ends so you can get right to soldering.

6. ChipStevens

ChipStevens New Member!

7. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Senior Stratmaster

Fender has all three listed as 10.3k DC resistance. Did you check all three?

8. ChipStevens

ChipStevens New Member!

Good point. Just checked and the neck is reading around 10k but I'm not getting anything from the hot wires of the middle and bridge. I guess I got some DOA pickups? Wonder if I pull them apart abit if I can find the culprit. Maybe a wire that came loose on the inside or something. If that's no good I'll have to see about getting my money back, but not sure how that goes on pickups since I've already soldered on them.

9. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

I had a set of Gen4 they were very nice it maybe one is defective, warranty ?

fenderkev likes this.
  10. ChipStevens

ChipStevens New Member!

No warranty that I know of but I just sent a message to the seller to see what we can do. If they can't do anything then I'll try Fender, maybe they'll replace them.

11. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Good to try for sure

12. oldguy17

oldguy17 New Member!

Hey excuse my dumb question, but looking at the codes on your pot, as I’m wondering if these are 25K or 250K .pots.. the code best I can make out is 25K254 which might be either way.. 25k or 25 followed by 4 zeros, 250000.. the older CTS pots used to be marked 250K, 500K or 1M.. Just an idea..

13. oldguy17

oldguy17 New Member!

Ok I went on a little hunt, and found these pots on Amazon, and the code is 450GT25K254A2, which I believe to be 250K with a special A2 (audio) taper. These are stated as being special for guitar.. I take another look at the pictures and see if I see anything out of the ordinary..

I have these pickups and had to fiddle with the height adjustment as my neck and middle seemed a little louder than my bridge. I used the initial Fender recommended settings of bass @ 1/8” and treble @ 3/32” (fretted at the last fret) I brought up the bridge two turns on both sides (1/16”) and it seemed more balanced.. I really like these pickups..

14. oldguy17

oldguy17 New Member!

One thing I did notice is some of your solder joints look a little “cold”. Notice the joints on your capacitor look nice and shiny, with a good amount of solder. If the joint Is cold it can make poor connections which can affect your tone and volume.

15. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sounds like defective pups once again. Fender seem to have issues with their Noiseless pups some times.