general discussion

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by highway jammin, May 2, 2006.

1. highway jammin

highway jammin Strat-Talk Member

I figure this is like an akward date,we need catalyst for some conversation. Let's go the whole nine yards.

Why do you play, what type of music do you play, who are your influences, do you have a band, what kind of strat (or otherwise) do you jam on, etc etc.

I am 19 years old, and started playing when I was 13. I was playing drums prior to that, I am from a heavily musicly influenced family and town. My dad bought me Jimi Hendrix's Are You Experienced to listen to Mitch Mitchell's drum work when I was about 11. I was quite impressed with the drums, but I was mesmerized by Jimi. I switched to guitar, sold my drums to buy a Fender Ultra Chorus amp, and had my dad teach my guitar.
    I play guitar for a band named HighwayJammin, and have been for about two years. I am the young pup of the group of four (by about 20 years) but we have fun. They are all just so talented that it makes me want to play my heart out. We are a big time jam band that roots with, of course The Grateful Dead, Phish, Dan Tyminski and Union Station. I model my guitar playing along with that Jimi Hendrix, and more recently, John Mayer's more rhythm approach to lead guitar.
    My main guitars are a MIJ 62 reissue in sunburst that my dad got me for my 14th birthday, and aMartin D-18V that I bought last September after saving and panhandling for nearly a year. Awesome guitars.

Wow, long post but maybe when the site opens official like, we can build on it.

2. claudel

claudel Strat-Talk Member

Great choice of influences.

When I was in high school some friends and I made a trip into the city because we heard that
    the light show at the local hippie pleasure palace was worth seeing.

The headliner for the show was an unknown to us at the time group "from England"

The Jimi Hendrix Experience.... ;)

I've never been quite the same since I was Experienced.

3. weelie

weelie Strat-Talk Member

I play for my own enjoyment, no bands or anything. Just never could find like minded players of similar skill level.

Hendrix was never an influence on me, nor Clapton. I don't actually know who it was that influenced me to get a strat. Many of the players I was a big fan of weren't really strat players. Of course I've really liked some strat players, for sure!

Outside Mark Knopfler on the first DS album, I'd say it must've been Buddy Holly that got me into strats. Not that I really would be a big fan. But he is the one I associate with the maple board 2-tone strat look, that I love. Robert Cray has one on the Strong persuasion album cover, so that could be another one. There are of course other local idols, but you wouldn't know of those (Esa Pulliainen, Dave Lindholm).

But the Fender Strat just always looked perfectly curvy and futuristic, even after 50 years.

4. Brian Blaut

Brian Blaut New Member!

I've always loved musical instruments. I play (played) guitar, piano, and trombone. I still play a little piano from time to time, but the guitar has one as my true love by far.

I play mostly rockabilly, some country (old stuff like Cash and some new like Paisley), and every once and a while, I turn up the gain and rock out.

My influences are mostly Setzer, Scotty Moore, Carl Perkins, James Burton, Junior Brown, Brad Paisley, Cash

I've never had a band. There have been times when I played some one off shows with friends before, but it was never anything super organized or lasting. I'm happy just playing at home as a hobby and every once and a while jaming with friends.

My strat is an 80's Epiphone copy. Its not my main guitar by a mile and it usualy doesn't leave the house, but I will get it out and play some blues from time to time. I also like to play up some Chris Isaak songs with it. 8)

5. BradKM

BradKM New Member!

I'm mainly a couch player. I noodle around with lots of different styles for my own enjoyment. Whatever strikes my fancy when I pick up the guitar, really.

I'm actually not much of a Strat guy. I prefer Teles, and a few other guitars above Strats, but enjoy building partsocasters and love the flexibility of a good Strat style body with a swimming pool route (can-o-worms, I know).

Currently I'm putting the finishing touches on my first real Strat clone...on my previous builds I've used the body style as a jumping off point, but this latest one is decked out with three low-output single coils, a vintage style bridge, and other old-school appointments.

It's surprisingly bright...much chimier than I thought it would be, and right now I'm thinking that's a good thing. The guitar has a very distinctive voice, which means it'll likely stay in the stable. I'll try to post some pics soon.

6. OSdave

OSdave Strat-Talk Member

Let's see - I've been playing for about 22 years. I can't really remember why I started playing. I guess my main influences would be SRV, Rossington/Collins, and Gibbons...

I mainly play open mics in my area. The rest of the time I hang out in my garage and jam either by myself or with a couple friends.

My first strat (and still my no. 1) was a 1994 Strat Special (HSS with coil tap instead of 2nd tone knob). I've since switched the pickups to two 57/62's and a Duncan JB Humbucker. I also have a 96 partscaster I built. Besides that, I have a Nashville Power Tele, Dean MLX and a Martin SP000C-16E.

7. totallyfrozen

totallyfrozen Strat-Talk Member

My mother was a jazz singer in the '50s & '60s. She always encouraged my sister and I musically. My sister is a very talented and in-demand Blues singer on the local scene. My cousin on my mother's side is a successful studio session guitarist in LA. I am withholding his name for his sake (his privacy). Otherwise, he's played with Chicago, Stevie Wonder, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, and the list goes on. So, my family has been musically influencing on me from the start.

I took up saxophone at 17, drums at 18, piano/keyboard at 19...eventually got into the bass then learned guitar--actually--to make me a better bass player! I have performed on all of these instruments. Some of the funnest times were when I played keyboards in a few bands, the last 2 groups were Plan-B and a short-lived group called 907. I'm sure you've never heard of them...we were just on the local scene. I have gigged as a lead guitarist (as a guest--not part of the band). I'm not currently in a band...but will look to get into one in the near future (when some other things settle down).

When I play for my own pleasure, my favorite style is Jazz. My favorite influences there are Norman Brown, Peter White, George Benson, Wes Montgomery (to name a few). I also love the Blues (Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimi Hendrix, B.B King, Jonny Lang, etc.). My bands/gigs were just good ol' rock & roll (Tom Petty, John Mellencamp, Alice in Chains, etc.) with some Punk thrown in. Otherwise, when I play a gig, I play whatever pays. Only have one Strat at the moment. A '93 American Standard modified with Seymour Duncan humbuckers. I have the SD Cool Rails in the neck, Hot Rails in the middle, and JB Jr. in the bridge.

8. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Strat-Talk Member

i'm 47 and have played, off and on, since i was 14. about the only time i have ever played with other musician's is when i was a teenager.

after being (in more or less chronological order) a black sabbath fan, a rolling stones freak, a springsteen fanatic, a punk rocker/new waver, i have come home to the blues. it's a form of music that is totally honest and real and you can be 47 or 77 and play it without lookin ridiculous.

i recently realized that most of the music i love deeply has "Black" roots: blues, RnB, Motown, Stax, Gospel. this isn't something i set out for, i don't love this music for any patronizing reason, it just hits the SWEET spot in my heart the most.

a couple of years ago, i met a couple of guys around my age who told me they wanted to start a band with me, a drummer and a bass player. it took them the better part of a year to get their equipment. when we finally got together to work up material, the 1 st thing they did was start laying out the country (not real country either, modern-day FAKE country) songs they wanted to work up. this was after a year of them and me trading back and forth tapes of music we loved and wanted to play. on those tapes there were exactly ZERO country songs. i humoured them and learned a dwight yoakum song, which to my ears was more rock and roll tham country, then they wanted to to do a toby keith song. i didn't know anything about T keith, so i researched and found out that he's basically the rush limbaugh of nashville. and everything i was into, they started all of a sudden turning up their nose and saying, "Well, anybody could play that..." and yuk yada. When i laid some SRV i wanted to work up in front of them, they pratically turned green. So i told them to find themselves another guitar player.

so anyhow, i just play in the bedroom, mostly.

9. jaybee

jaybee Strat-Talk Member

47 year old, playing guitar since I was 13 (also had brief encounters with trumpet and sax). I started because I liked guitar AND because I thought girls liked guitar players :rolleyes: 8)

influences? every guitar player I ever heard, on record or live, be it in known groups or in local bands, I tend to pick up something (to try and play myself OR to make sure NEVER to try and play myself :eek: ) every time I hear another guitar player

I've been in more bands than I can remember, currently it's "Blue Z" - yes, a blues band ;) , I have also played rock, pop and (a little bit of) jazz

10. ch0pz

ch0pz Strat-Talk Member

I play coz i love it. I play rock, blues and rockabilly. My influences are Jimi Hendrix, Angus Young, SRV, Eric Clapton, BB King and Chris Cheney. I play lead guitar in a 4 piece band called Electric Innocence. My one and only strat at the moment is a Squier Californian Series, which come standard with a humbucker in the bridge i think but ive put a fender noiseless in there and its awesome!!

11. Lapelcelery

Lapelcelery Strat-Talk Member

I'm 18, been playing for two years, and have never been in a band. Used to play keyboards, and was really into Roy Orbison, until I picked up dads guitar one day, it just felt right. My first and Strongest electric guitar influences were David Gilmour Mark Knopfler, and George Harrison in that order. To be honest, I just don't like Eric Clapton's playing. More Recently I have been listening to Mike Oldfield, and learning the guitars and piano for Tubular Bells (I still play keyboards a little), but still nothing beats a gilmour or knopfler lick for me. I have recently upgraded from a mexican strat to a Candy-apple red '57 reissue. Fantastic Guitar.

12. stevo58

stevo58 Strat-Talker

Well, I'm 50, started guitar when I was 13, played clarinette before that. I started guitar because my big brother played - simple as that, it was brother-hero-worship.

When I was a teenager and practicing a lot I was listening to Robbie Robertson and Lowell George, mostly. When I finally bought an electric, I bought a Tele, because that was what Robbie played (when he played the way I liked him to play). I suppose I had most of the same influences everyone who grew up in the '70s had, excepting Jimmy Page, who I to this day still cannot listen to. Later Jimmy Vaughan, then I backtracked to Steve Cropper and Jimmy Nolan. In the 90's I discovered jazz, but after five frustrating years went back to blues and r&b.

I had two active phases; during College I played with a number of bands, often with names like 'Les Vincent and the Tree Toads' or 'Adolph Duck and the Blue Collar Liberation Front.' Then again in the last few years, when I found a good blues/r&b band that needed a guitar player. I sure do like playing out.

After 35 years of playing I finally bought my first Strat and am really digging it. I'm sure in two months I'll go back to Tele, like I always do, but for now the Strat is fun. I build my own amps; I've built a 5e3, a 1974, a 5e5-a, a 5f2, and a 5f11 with subminiature tubes. And a few others, those are just the ones I actually use.

I've owned and sold more guitars and amps than I like to think about (wish I still had all of them) but at the moment, I've got my old '76 Tele, a '58 ES125T, and the new ('96) Hank Marvin Strat.

steven

13. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member!

Well, I've been playing for 30 years and currently own a Fender Strat and a Gibson Les Paul Studio in the electric arena and have Ovation and Takamine acoustics. My influences for playing are the likes of America, Bread, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Eagles, Jimi Hendrix, etc. In other words, classic rock. After a 10 year lay off, our classic rock band got back together and we are reahearsing steadily and already have gigs lined up. It's good to be back. BTW- Stevo58, why can't you listen to Jimmy Page? I admit that LZ never did sound like the recordings live, but then again, what power trio could? He's still a legend in my eyes. I'm a couple of years older than you so we grew up listening to the same music.

14. Bangbang

Bangbang Senior Stratmaster

I Play for my own enjoyment and love the blues. I just lent out my Sg and an amp to a friend to play with till he can decide what he wants when he gets his tax return. Then I will have someone to play with. I started playing 15 months ago and am already teaching two of my grand kids as I learn and its goi real well. My influences are SRV,Hendrix,Smokin Joe Kubek, Muddy Waters,Buddy Guy,and John Leee Hooker.. Never really liked Clapton.

15. imwjl

imwjl Strat-Talker

It's all about personal fun and pleasure for me. I did not play with any commitment for about 20+ years but have been at it again for 2 years. Acoustic came first. I used to do some public bluegrass jamming, but don't have time currently and have more interest in other styles of music.

;)