General Question About Discontinued Fenders?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by stevierayfan91, Aug 12, 2021.

1. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, buddies

is there a general method that Fender uses to determine whether a model of Strat is discontinued?

i wondered because the Vintera Roadworn Strats went up in price then were marked for discontinued status.

2. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

I would assume it’s sales.

cranky likes this.
  3. joesatch

joesatch Strat-Talker

Fender's business model is to continuously release new models. This is because the majority of buyers are repeat customers wanting the "new model"

4. stevierayfan91

Hi, buddies

is an EJ. Sig. A consistent model sales wise that likely would still be available next year ?

5. Black59

Black59 Strat-Talker

Hmm hard to call without the numbers in front of me (e.g. quantities sold, margins, etc.).

IMO the Standard Maple EJ is a staple in the Artist line-up (like the SRV or Clapton) and I personally believe they'll stick around.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if the Rosewood and Virginia models get dropped sometime in the future. Since they already dropped Dakota Red and Palomino for the RW and this new 'Stories' collection for Virginia doesn't seem to be getting a lot of traction?

Keeping in mind, that the RW model is one of the few production strats that have a bound rosewood board (labour intensive). With the recent increases to the price of lumber and the overall cost of labour increasing as well, it's not uncommon for international corporations to discontinue low margin products.

edit: spelling

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  6. train

train Worlds largest private army Silver Member

If ej went the Mayer route,prs. Thats one way it would end.

7. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Near as I can tell they do it however would be most confusing for the consumer and allow them to raise prices.

MGW-AB and Intune like this.
  8. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

A couple of things going on here:
    1. The Vintera Road Worns were always considered a "Limited Edition". With Fender in some cases that means they produce a specific quantity of instruments (say 500 in each available color) and in other cases it means it can be ordered for a limited time (a "start date" and an "end date" on the calendar) and they produce enough to fulfill all the orders. I am 90% sure the Vintera Road Worns were the latter - they were available for order from a starting date until an ending date that was probably a couple of months ago.
    2. When a model is discontinued Fender will keep it on their website until there are no more available in their warehouse (or in production queue that are not already "pre-sold" to a dealer) to sell to/ship out to dealers - when they reach that point the model comes off the Fender website but they may still be shown on dealer websites until the individual dealer is sold out. Fender may actually take them down when there are still a few in the warehouse - Fender might have a minimum quantity (for example call it 20 available) and when stock gets below the minimum quantity (in my example all it 19 or less) they are removed.
    3. The Vintera Road Worns have been quite successful; I suspect that a new series of them will be issued at some point in the future - but given Fender's current backorder status and supply chain issues that would probably be some time in 2022. I would be pleasantly surprised if the drop the next series in the mid-to-late fall.
    4. On the issue of the Eric Johnson Strat(s) - as @Black59 says as long as EJ is a Fender endorser they should be keeping the maple neck EJ Signature in production. They might cut the quantity, but they will be around. Fender might continue to cut both the colors and the production quantity of the rosewood board EJs; the only one I could easily see going is the Virginia model; I'm not sure if it was supposed to be continuous production or if it was a limited run guitar.
    5. That being said - all production is likely going to be reduced for a while longer due to disruptions in the supply chain (some of which may still be ongoing and will be ongoing for some materials/components).

FrieAsABird, circles and Black59 like this.
  9. stevierayfan91

Hi, @John C and @Black59

that makes sense . Thank you!

I think what I will do is
    1.keep working on playing better while save my $ together
    2. and then see what nitro model Strats are in stock at store.

John C and Black59 like this.
  10. Black59

Black59 Strat-Talker

Anytime! Wish I could give you a better answer, but it's always tough to know what Fender's up to.

Best of luck on your search for your nitro strat! That's my game plan as well :thumb: