Genesis & Phil Collins $300m

Boubou

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2009
Montreal
This, to me, makes absolutely sense for the artists… however, I’m not so sure on the buyer side. How long would it take to recover the 300M$ from the royalties ? Or so it just a case of ownership pride ?
Yeah, I was just wondering how much money per day Genesis brings in royalties. I assume that someone who spend $300 has seen the numbers. Unless like you say pride such has owning David Gilmour’s black strat, but I doubt it’s that

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
Yeah, I was just wondering how much money per day Genesis brings in royalties. I assume that someone who spend $300 has seen the numbers. Unless like you say pride such has owning David Gilmour’s black strat, but I doubt it’s that
Then what came to mind is how long does the royalties last ? After a quick search I found this:

“For artists in the US, the copyright protection of a song lasts for the lifetime of the copyright holder and an additional 70 years after their demise. This law applies to all bodies of works that have been published since 1978. The payment on these royalties also lasts for the duration of the copyright protection.”

So now I’m wondering how do you define the lifetime of the copyright holder when it’s an edge fund ?

We need a copyright lawyer… lmao 🤣

Boubou

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2009
Montreal
Does this mean that if after 69 years I sell the rights to you we start all over again and you have them for 70 years, a bit weird?
Or is it copyright owner at the time of creation.
But I don’t really care if my $300 millions will turn into $400 millions in 70 years, I won’t be here to spend it.
Oh I reread your posts it’s 70 years after the demise, of probably whoever owned the rights originally.
Anyways, I like me some Genesis, but I have the records I listen to, I won’t be buying anything or streaming. Going to be a while before profits come in.
On the other hand, glad the artists can do that these days , makes for a nice retirement fund

Handsome McClane

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Sep 6, 2020
Sacramento
Wonder if Phil’s health has improved. He had to perform seated on their last tour, and I guess the divorce was or is a nasty one.
Pretty sure he said he's done playing in public now; whatever it is it's not something you get over.

Definite bummer. I was a huge Genesis fan; went through a phase where they were all I listened to for about two years of my life.

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
They have their classic hits, Mama, In the Air Tonight, just a couple. At this point in his life, Phil Collins might be too lat to sell it off to really enjoy it, considering his health issues. I figure he lived life quite comfortably along the way. $ 300M probably isn't life altering for him from a perspective that he never wanted at a certain point of fame & fortune. That's the thing with health, one moment it's solid, then next moment, the decline starts & it may not be very long. As it stands, I understand he's quite brittle, lost sensations for his hands & feet at least. It's spinal cord related. At what point would he be confined to a wheel chair. I think he cashed out more for the family than a family business to continue.