Genuine fender or genuine fender partscasters

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Intune, Oct 12, 2021.

Factory fender or genuine fender partscasters

1. Factory fender

76 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. Genuine factory parts into a hybrid

16 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

I started a poll here because there seems to be a debate on the matter.

When buying a fender Strat do you guys prefer or require the guitar to be genuine fender factory built or can it be fender parts built to make up a fender Strat and still be sold as a genuine fender.

I had to edit this to make more sense.

So who thinks it’s ok for a random dude that swapped out a neck, body or built a genuine fender partscasters and selling it as a genuine fender Stratocaster is ok? It’s all fender parts right?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    ResidentRen and randallk5 like this.
  2. Willmunny

Willmunny Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I prefer to buy my guitars from people that bought them and never touched them for 60% of retail

Doc538, Guitdog44, dscottyg and 19 others like this.
  3. Intune

No doubt, that’s my preference too

drp146 likes this.
  4. arct

arct Strat-O-Master

I use Fenders, have my whole life. I'll take whatever Fender calls a Strat or a Tele, thank you.

rct

mone and Intune like this.
  5. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

I'm fine with partscasters. I have a couple of them.

But if I'm buying a whole guitar, I wanna know exactly what it is. So I'm much more likely to buy whole guitars new but parts used.

6. CattleDog73

CattleDog73 Strat-Talker

It may be Fender parts, it may even be better than the original, but it’s not a genuine Fender. If it were advertised as such it would end up as a ‘is this fake’ thread here.

So I would buy either, as long as the partscaster was priced accordingly and I could test it because who knows who put it together.

7. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

I prefer to assemble my own with OE parts from similar eras.

mone, BigJoe, TheDireStrat and 4 others like this.
  8. Intune

Sure 100%, I love my home built partscasters. Just would you if ever sold off tell the buyer it’s a genuine fender? That’s kinda why I started this poll. Some members here think if it’s genuine parts or none original to leaving the holy grail factory it’s A ok.

9. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

IMHO that would be a Fender partscaster and as I buyer I would appreciate it being describe that way.

Let the buyer decide if they want to buy it with full disclosure.

The end product may even be superior to a factory original. Again let the buyer decide if that is in their opinion worth buying.

10. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

I *might* consider a fender parts built to make up a fender Strat ONLY if it's from someone I know well. Otherwise 100% factory for me.

"swapped out a neck, body or built a genuine fender partscasters and selling it as a genuine fender Stratocaster is ok?"

No, not ok without full disclosure. No disclosure = douchenozzle dishonest jerkoff crook.

drp146, Mr_10awg, dirocyn and 6 others like this.
  11. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

I feel pretty much the same as ido1957. Whatever combo of things it is, sell it as it is honestly.

drp146, Mr_10awg, Nate D and 2 others like this.
  12. Intune

Yes exactly full disclosure. Not denying, pointing fingers or judging anyone that has a sweet fender partscasters or hybrid. I have a few and can’t get over how good they are.

Just if I decide to sell off one the ad will have full disclosure, why because it’s not really a genuine fender. Sure the parts are but it didn’t come new from GC, well maybe. Depending on location I guess.

BuddyHollywood and Antstrat like this.
  13. Kestrel

Kestrel Strat-Talker Silver Member

One of the greatest points when Leo started making Guitars was that you could swap parts to suit your needs or when they just worn out, of course in those days you could only get Fender parts to fit your Fenders, now you have a multitude of company's to buy from, I love my original Fenders but I equally love the ones I have built myself, if I were buying a Genuine Strat I would make sure it was 100% right, then I would alter it to suit me but would keep all the parts just in case I wanted to pass it on.

14. Rickety

Rickety Strat-Talk Member

I would be okay with building a partscaster for myself, but buying one without someone saying that's what it is?... I mean would you like it if someone sold you a 'genuine Lamborghini' only to find out later that they had built it themselves out of Lamborghini parts and it wasn't factory made? That's a no from me dawg.

I would prefer to just buy my strats from the source.

Intune likes this.
  15. helliger

helliger Strat-Talker

Whenever I sell a guitar I just mention everything about it and let the buyer decide how they want to categorize it. If I didn't change a thing I'd say it's stock and if I changed anything I'd just mention what I changed.

drp146, jvin248 and Intune like this.
  16. msbrech

msbrech Strat-Talk Member

I'd say, putting aside any debate over the quality of a partscaster and whether it's a worthy instrument or not, if it's a guitar that I assembled myself using all Fender original parts, procured from Fender directly, and I was going to sell it, I would not call it a genuine Fender. I'd call it a partscaster made with all OEM Fender parts, and price it accordingly. And hopefully I had all the paperwork to back that up.

Likewise if I bought a Fender strat let's say from a store and did some mods (say for example I got a Fender Player and dropped in Seymour Duncans in place of the original pickups), I'd make note of that as well.

drp146, BuddyHollywood and Intune like this.
  17. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

`
    I suppose if someone were to buy, say, three identical Fender Strats (same year, model, features and color) and for some unknown reason they swapped parts between them (and then forgot which parts were original to each of them) I would think that selling them as genuine Fenders is not too controversial.

But, if swapping a rosewood fretboard neck on a Strat that started off as maple and calling it "original" would definitely be considered deceptive

If something is original "to the best of their knowledge" (where even an expert can't tell), then I wouldn't see how it would matter. But if it's a flat out "partscaster" and a person tries to knowingly pass it off as something else? Well, that's just plain wrong.

Perhaps there's some room for a "grey area" but if it's "night and day" then the answer is clear.

Just trying to play the devil's advocate...

`

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  18. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

As long as the price is right, and I can verify the parts are of the right origin.. IDGAF.

nothing I have is going to be worth a ton anyway.

19. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I build lots of Partscasters and always do it for the sake of "liking to do it" and for the opportunity to have colors, neck types, pickup/electronics and sound characteristics that you cannot get "off the shelf". If I sell them, I always give complete descriptions that explain exactly what is in the guitar, usually referring to them "Strat-Type Partscaster". But if could get called a "douchennozzle dishonest jerkoff crook" by not being so honest, it might actually give me inspiration to live up to the title!! :sneaky::sneaky:

20. Intune

Yes swapping parts around on 3 identical guitars for some odd reason and putting them together, sending a few back as original. Not real cool but really it may not be a issue. Technically speaking but I’m sure the store owner would want to know.

Yes a 60’s neck on a 50’s body for example that’s not original to fender and shouldn’t be sold as original.

drp146 and AxemanVR like this.