Genuine fender or genuine fender partscasters

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Intune, Oct 12, 2021.

Factory fender or genuine fender partscasters

1. Factory fender

76 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. Genuine factory parts into a hybrid

16 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Don’t be so hard on yourself, you can think or do whatever you want with any guitar you own.

Just wanted to add to your master luthier comment though. I took a chance a few years ago on a prototype telecaster supposedly, made by Chris Fleming from the custom shop.

No serial numbers, no COA, just his signature at the neck heel and initials in the bridge pickup cavity. I traded a Eric Clapton twinolux amp for it. It’s truly one of kind. To me it is superior to any of the 8 or so teles I’ve owned. I don’t even look at teles anymore because of this one.

I recently got a email from Chris Fleming stating it’s legit. He made it for himself in 2001 as a prototype. He said he made a few. I post this on the tele site. Was offered $6k for its. No thanks it’s not for sale.

No point to this but to me it truly is superior not even knowing it was legit I felt the same. I just knew whoever built it did a phenomenal job.

dscottyg likes this.
  2. espyhop

espyhop Strat-Talker

“Fender Genuine Parts” is Fender’s trade name for their aftermarket line, so when people list it as Genuine, that’s telling prospective buyers that it’s not an Allparts/Warmoth/WD partscaster, but a guitar that was made with Fender Genuine Parts.

The problem is that Fender makes similarly themed guitars at various price points in various countries using various grades of components. At the lower to mid level, Fender makes serviceable guitars that can be upgraded.

Players who take the time to upgrade or put an instrument together using all Fender parts usually have an idea of what they want to accomplish and research what they’re putting into a guitar, and it’s usually based on a specific Fender theme.

Taking my ‘50s parts Tele as an example, the body, neck, and hardware are the same as what was in the MIM Classic Series ‘50s Tele variants, but the pickups, electronics, and tuners are what’s usually found in MIA ‘50s Tele variants. It’s absolutely a better guitar than the old stock MIM ‘50s Classic Series Teles. It was what I wanted from a ‘50s style Tele, nothing random about it.

Players have been using aftermarket pickups, electronics, and hardware and have been swapping necks for decades. As for the validity or viability of partscasters, just ask Eric Clapton or Keith Richards.

Again, the only real issue I see is if someone fraudulently presents a modified/partscaster as stock.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    Intune and nutball73 like this.
  3. LawFlow

LawFlow Strat-Talker

It's not whether the instrument being sold is superior or inferior. It's about disclosure.

4. Intune

I have no problem with what anyone does with their guitars.

Here’s my question to you about your home built fender partscaster.

Is it a genuine fender telecaster, yes or no?

If the answer is yes that’s my point to this thread. I wanted to know how many people think like this.

5. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

My take is, yes, it's a genuine Fender telecaster. It's not factory original, but hardly anyone uses that term.

Parksie likes this.
  6. espyhop

espyhop Strat-Talker

It sure as hell ain’t an Ibanez!

If the neck, body, pickups, and hardware are made by Fender and sold by Fender and has the same components Fender uses, what other kind of guitar would it be? If/when I sell it, I’ll note that it’s not a stock guitar and list the individual components, but it’s absolutely a real Fender.

And, please stop saying “home built.” I didn’t build anything. I just picked which Fender-made ‘50s Tele variant components I wanted and had my tech slap it together. The same tech who has previously repaired shoddy wiring from the factory or cleaned pots on my stock Fenders.

Hey, I have a 70th Anniversary Broadcaster. It came with a resistor for blend wiring. If/when I convert it over, would it be considered stock?

Parksie likes this.
  7. Intune

No need to get upset, you answered my question. You can call it whatever you want. I call all my partscasters fender Stratocaster just the same as you.

Change whatever you want on your broadcaster other then the neck or body. It will still be broadcast. I’m not stupid so don’t act stupid.

8. Intune

Another BS comment. No one uses the term anymore. Really. Except on every single guitar player out there. When looking at guitars all you here is “original”. Original in reference too factory original.

There’s no such thing as a factory original partscasters. No matter hard you want to believe it.

Colnago1 likes this.
  9. Five Aces

Five Aces Strat-Talk Member

Tangled web of words & definitions. Today, everyone wants it spelled out in a clear black & white scenario, but nobody wants to come to any common.agreement.

I have a homebuilt Tele, built with all genuine Factory Fender parts. By my perspective, it's a genuine Fender. BUT No, it wasn't a Factory built original.. If I sold it, I would say as I stated above. But it's the buyers definition that counts. And, as usual, YMMV.
    If it wasn't for the monetary concerns, I don't think anyone would be as concerned with the details as much. Or is it the bragging rights? ...just askin' ...
    GC replaced my "Genuine Factory Fender" strings because too many rock stars tried it out and broke a few... I guess it's no longer genuine or should be classified as a partscaster, right? Disclosure needed? I give up! It'll never end.

Parksie and Intune like this.
  10. Intune

Yes it’s a partscaster if the strings have been changed. Now you guys are just getting silly.

I don’t want to burst anyone’s bubble or cause emotional stress but if you have to list parts in a for sale ad it’s a partscaster.

For sale: 2018 fender American original 60’s strat, mint condition

Not a list of parts that might make up something close to that guitar. That’s call a partscaster. Simple.

11. espyhop

espyhop Strat-Talker

“Factory original” and “Genuine” are not synonymous terms.

A partscaster might not be a factory original, but it can still be genuine.

nutball73, Parksie and Intune like this.
  12. Intune

Sure it can be made up of genuine parts. Sold as a partscaster or a giant list of parts. Not my concern.

My concern is with the people that think they’re all partscasters anyway so why do I need to list a host of parts if it’s made up of fender parts. That logic is what I’m questioning here.

It’s just so twisted up in partscasters BS that I’m totally confused at what I’m even saying anymore. I give really. I don’t give a damn anymore. I’m not gonna get burned here I know what I’m looking at. It’s the rookies that get burned, have at it.

13. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

You're just spinnin' your wheels at this point. Some people will never get it. Just give up while you still have what's left of your sanity. ;)

Antstrat and Intune like this.
  14. espyhop

espyhop Strat-Talker

That would be blatant fraud and I think most people would agree with you on that. Sellers should always be upfront about what they’re selling. But, again, that has nothing to do with whether or not it’s a Genuine Fender.

Intune likes this.
  15. Intune

If they think it’s genuine fender they sure think it’s right. :)

Anyway you get it now.

Holy moly, it’s my sanity alright. 20 quotes today. I may just turn my phone off and really I’m ever going to get scammed so why do I care!

SonOfLerome likes this.
  16. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

The whole thread is a ping pong ball on a stairwell at the Empire State Building. :D

17. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Strat-Talk Member

If I am paying good money for a Factory Fender, it had better be one. Never had a Partscaster, but I sure don't look down my nose at them. I've seen some pretty nice ones and would have no issues owning one.

Intune likes this.
  18. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

Anyone with a genuine Fender partscaster would be crazy trying to sell it as anything other than what it is anyway because they’re more valuable in pieces

Intune likes this.
  19. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

I bought this USA Fender neck for 50.00 and threw the rest together with all genuine fender parts. Custom shop pickups, CTS pots etc.
    Most parts I had laying around.

I would never sell it like it is but chop it up first and sell parts separately. If I did sell it as a whole I would call it a partscasters.

I refer to it as the POS guitar. It plays awesome and sounds great but so do most of my other guitars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. revtime

revtime Strat-Talker

None of my partcasters have any fender parts on them. Wait one is the original body.
    Only my HB fusion all Harley Benton. But it was made in indonesia not Thomann in Germany.
    Yeah I give up.