Genuine fender or genuine fender partscasters

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Intune, Oct 12, 2021.

Factory fender or genuine fender partscasters

1. Factory fender

76 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. Genuine factory parts into a hybrid

16 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

Sorry to disappoint but your too honest to wear the title douchennozzle dishonest jerkoff crook. Best you could hope for is maybe dickhead but you'd have to really work hard at it. Good luck :thumb:

2. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

If I ever sell any guitar, partscaster, original, modded, whatever, I always disclose exactly what it is and what, if anything, has been done to it.

Then If the buyer and I can come to an agreeable price, the deal is done.

nickmsmith and Intune like this.
  3. davidrf

davidrf Strat-O-Master

I would build a partscaster to my taste but I probably would never buy a used partscaster. And I would never sell a partscaster hiding the fact it is not "original".

Chuck8436 and Intune like this.
  4. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

That’s exactly what I getting at here. There were a few guys in another thread thinking it’s all genuine fender bolt on parts who cares type of deal.

I thought maybe I was crazy to think it would almost be considered fraud to sell a bolt on none original factory fender to someone and not disclose this. It’s all fender parts right, just like Leo made, yeah I don’t think so.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  5. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I don't think it's crazy, because I agree with you.

IMO, if the neck and body did not leave the factory as a single unit, then it's a partscaster. Other things, like pickup or hardware swaps fall into the mod category, but I will still disclose everything that has ever been done to the guitar. Including fret jobs.

JMO/YMMV

Intune likes this.
  6. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

I have, in the past, had more than one strat at the same time and swapped the parts around to see what I like best, tried different pickups, bridges, and necks etc.

When I sold them, they were back in original configuration, probably. Maybe one had the other's bridge, or knobs, or backplate, maybe the trem claw wasn't the one from the factory, can't be sure really.

I advertised them as Fender strats. They had the original neck and body combinations. But even I couldn't tell if the rest was what came on the guitar from the factory. And it didn't make any difference to me or the people who bought them. They played great.

People are too precious these days. I stick to non-Fender guitars so I don't get bothered by tyrekickers worrying about original pickguard screws. It's obvious they aren't Fender - cos they're better :p

revtime likes this.
  7. Willmunny

Willmunny Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Intune likes this.
  8. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-O-Master

I would be willing to buy either a genuine Fender or a partscaster made with Fender parts if I liked the guitar. The only difference is if it's a partscaster the last step I would want to take before finalizing the sale is to look at the wiring to make sure it was done well.

Intune likes this.
  9. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Senior Stratmaster

I'm a dude who turns all Fender guitars into Partscasters. Several are 100% of Fender parts but they are still Partscasters.

Do I think a seller should say if a guitar is a Partscaster even if it's all 100% Fender? Absolutely!!!!

Do I think the value of a Partscaster should be less than a factory Fender? It really depends.

I've never owned a Fender guitar that I thought was perfect from the factory. Certainly none have been the way of like them. By now I've disassembled and reassembled a countless number of Fenders and my skill at assembling, soldering and setting up guitars is likely fairly close to Fenders. But I don't have any legit credentials. The money I may lose in creating a Partscaster is paid for by having a guitar the way I want it.

Who knows about the next guy though?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    BuddyHollywood and Intune like this.
  10. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

• Body and neck married from the factory + the original parts...genuine fender

• Body and neck married from the factory but any number of different other parts...genuine fender that is modded

• Either body or neck different from that factory marriage then its a partscaster.

As long as its clearly stated by the seller what is what....either of those three options is great cause it ll have the correct price tag attached to it.

Ebidis, Mr_10awg, dirocyn and 2 others like this.
  11. Intune

Finally we can agree on something :)

12. Intune

You still don’t seem to understand. We’re not talking screws or pickups. All that can be changed back to original if needed. I’m talking a neck or body that supposed to match together.

I wouldn’t call someone a tire kicker, being too picky or strange because they want something original. Not your box of parts you advertised as a fender Stratocaster. How is this so hard to grasp? Oh wait I’m being to critical of the little details.

13. Chipss36

Chipss36 Strat-O-Master

I gut every guitar I own, it just does not make sense for me to buy a new fender only to gut it anyway.

so I buy fender parts, neck and body, usually from stratosphere, or such, selected by weight and looks and build from that.

I think being honest and having integrity when selling something is really what this is about, if I sold one I would morally have to disclose how this guitar came into being. And what it is.
    I think the work I do, is actually better than what fender can crank out, I have more time to get things ocd perfect, fender does not. I get the most I can out of every guitar I own.
    This may or may not be of value to a customer, and only they can make that call, and I must be truthful about it. And when I sell, I know I loose a ton of money. It’s just the way that works.

the problem is many today flat out will call a guitar or an amp or anything for that matter something it’s not.
    In order to make more money.
    Or fill a fender with every rejected part they own, and pass it off to someone else…we see that in threads here a lot.

I look at this thread and think, do you have integrity or not?

I also don’t think factory fender is not in anyway superior, as long as mods are done tastefully and correct , with high quality parts.

that is another problem, hacked up mods. Using lessor parts, bad wiring with an underpowered solder iron. Makes a mess, we have all seen a bunch of that.

if you lift one of my pick guards, you know it’s not stock, but in a good way! Or at least I think!

Attached Files:

14. Intune

Who knows about the next guy is the issue. I’m all for modding and building partscasters. It just has to come down to each seller to be honest of what it is.

We see it here daily when guys buy a legit fender Stratocaster, torn apart it’s random fender parts and the guy thinks he got burned. Well he did. Sure it’s a nice guitar and probably plays well but I can’t see many people being excited about the situation.

Imagine spending $4k on a custom shop come to find out you have a parted out stratosphere special. Sure it’s all legit CS parts even with a floor traveller and COA! Read into it farther and find out the floor traveller says 60’s C shape, Indian rosewood board and you’re holding a 50’s style maple neck. What the hell? I’d probably puke.

Looked legit though and hey it’s only $4k, no big deal right.

15. ibdrkn1

I agree with everything you're saying here but I may be reading between the lines though as well.

Are you suggesting that no one should make Partscasters because somewhere down the line in that Partscaster's life a seller may not be truthful?

Cheaters and liars are going to cheat and lie. I can't control other people.

If somehow a day came where I were not allowed to put together a Fender Partscaster, that would be the same day I'd stop buying Fender stuff at all. For me, there'd be no point anymore.

nutball73 and Intune like this.
  16. Intune

Well I do love a good partscaster. Building them or not there’s always that seller out there that is shady. Genuine fender or not, it’s just the way of life for some people. If they can fool someone and get away with it, it will happen.

This thread was not really intended to be about the partscasters specifically. Just who thinks it’s right to put genuine fender parts together and think of all fenders as partscasters and sell it as a genuine fender.

A example of what I mean. You walk into a guitar shop, they don’t have what you’re specifically looking for. You wanted a maple neck but with a surf green body.

The sales guys says “give me a minute I can make that happen”. Grabs a few strats and makes that happen, slaps the neck from one to the other. Are you or any of you guys going to hand over $1599 for that Strat? Not likely.

That’s kind of the point to this thread. Not so much about partscasters themselves but that neck switcharoo thread got into a debate over this.

17. ibdrkn1

I think my measuring stick is pretty much the same as most on this one.

Anything that isn't a factory paired body and neck is a Partscaster. Until that factory pair is separated everything else is mods.

GeetarPwayer and Intune like this.
  18. Exhead

Exhead Strat-Tinkerer Gold Supporting Member

I try and keep the neck with the body. Full disclosure always and try and keep parts details and original parts too.

Bought this from a dude locally last night, plastic still on it, no picks marks.... Now what to put it on...

IMG_9657.JPG

920D Custom Seymour Duncan Fat Everything Axe Loaded HSS

Intune likes this.
  19. stratelespaul

stratelespaul Strat-O-Master

There's this old dude named Eric something or other that made a Strat out of parts and it's now one of Fenders most popular models....Blackie or something like that lol.

Yes, it's technically a partscaster.
    Buy Fender parts, necks, bodies, pups, bridges, etc. Put 'em together and you've got a Fender guitar/bass.
    If you're handy with a screwdriver and a soldering iron, you basically put your own custom Fender together...
    You're just not on salary at the custom shop.
    IMHO

paul Waters and Intune like this.
  20. Intune

Oh yeah that Strat. Well I’ll tell you if I originally owned that guitar in its partscaster state with no famous ties to it and sold it as original I’d be charged for fraud. Sure any collector spending that kind of money knows what their looking at.

If that guitar ended up on reverb and sold as genuine someone would be giving some money back. Again with no famous ties to the guitar.

stratelespaul likes this.