Genuine fender or genuine fender partscasters

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Intune, Oct 12, 2021.

Factory fender or genuine fender partscasters

1. Factory fender

76 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. Genuine factory parts into a hybrid

16 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. Ongo Gablogian

Ongo Gablogian Strat-Talker

I think that's kinda the worst-case scenario, not the rule. Who's to say the employee won't tell exactly what it is? Why would someone buy a guitar they were suspicious of? I do think your example is possible but unlikely. However, I also think fender should supply parts to major guitars shops for this very purpose. If someone wants a maple board strat they should have a few extra necks in the back. Honestly, I think fender could make that a huge selling point and possibly take a chuck out of the used market if more people could get what they want new.

revtime likes this.
  2. Ongo Gablogian

I would never pay USA prices period because partscasters exist. I could see someone paying full price if they were asking for it to be made up. Less so for the guitar made with the leftover parts. On the other thread, someone was talking about worrying that taking the neck on and off was somehow depreciating the guitar's value. I think if a setup was included with the build it's basically the same thing. Most good techs are gonna pop the neck the first time they setup your guitar. I also think this is why fender should supply some of the bigger shops with extra parts. So, if someone wants a black am std with a rosewood board the tech can go in the back and pull a new neck rather than swap from an existing guitar. At that point, I really can't imagine it mattering as fender would have designated either neck a match for that guitar.

revtime likes this.
  3. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

This is exactly what @revtime said he could get his guy at GC to do. I said there’s no way that could happen, the guy would get fired. He said something to me like play the system don’t let the system play me? Huh?

Either way I’ll be waiting for his reply when he gets off work as he said.

revtime likes this.
  4. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

"Genuine Fender?" It's either a Fender guitar or it isn't. A partscaster of 100% Fender parts is still a partscaster. I'd never state "genuine Fender" with a partscaster.

Intune likes this.
  5. Ongo Gablogian

I mean that sounds unlikely to me as well. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable even asking for something like that. Feels wrong to me. However, if it has happened for him, I would guess its a one in a million occurrence and not the kind of thing to have your antenna up for.

Intune likes this.
  6. Intune

That’s what started this thread, that comment of this happening. If any salesperson was willing to do that to make a sale I certainly would not be buying that guitar or shopping at the guitar store.

7. Intune

Yet this is still considered a debated topic. Guys don’t care until they get burned buying at “genuine” Strat that was made up of several different fender parts. Oh at genuine USA prices.

8. Ongo Gablogian

It would certainly make me more suspicious of that store's inventory. Although, as I said before it comes down to each individual guitar and I would probably still buy a parts guitar off the GC wall if it spoke to me.

Intune likes this.
  9. Intune

Oh I’d grab the parts guitar too especially if priced accordingly.

10. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Fender isn’t going to do that. They put out limited color combos. When you can’t find what you want they want you to pay for mod shop or custom shop.

11. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

None. Except for when they want to be obtuse and give you a hard time. Hey man, it’s a bolt on neck, they’re all partscasters!

revtime and Intune like this.
  12. Intune

Well that’s why I started this thread. A few people don’t really care which if priced right I wouldn’t either. Seems to be a lot more people wouldn’t buy that off the wall salesperson creation Strat though.

13. Nokie

Nokie Strat-Talker

I was shocked to see the overwhelming number of votes going to the genuine selection. Shocked because I read of so many folks on Strat-Talk glowing about their latest builds. I also voted for genuine but I do have one partscaster that I love. Some kid put together an excellent Ingwie Strat about 10 years ago and sold it on eBay for about 500 clams. It was made from a mighty might scalloped neck, licensed I guess 'cause it was the right shape, he slapped on a Fender Strat decal, the body was a Squire that he did a good job with a medium relic finish. I don't know what the pickups are but they're good. Anywho, it's a fun Strat but I don't need anymore partscasters - I prefer the real deal.

14. Intune

I wouldn’t be shocked at the number of people who voted that a partscaster shouldn’t be classified and sold as a genuine fender.

I know what you meant though. This isn’t about how good or bad a partscaster is.

It’s about selling one as a genuine fender being made up of random fender parts and who would be ok saying it’s genuine. Selling it as genuine because deep down they believe it’s all parts anyway.

Nokie likes this.
  15. revtime

revtime Strat-Talker

Ok for the sake of arguement here is the scene.
    I walk into guitar store and I see 2 guitars, 2021 Am Standards or whatever they call em now. One is red with rosewood board, one is 3TSB with maple neck. I chat up the salesperson and ask if they have a 3TSB with rosewood neck. They do not have one on hand. Oh man I really like that burst but I love rosewood boards. I will buy it retail price today if you swap that rosewood neck off that red one. The tech does the swap likity split and I am a happy customer.
    I do not see a problem with this.
    The next scenario is they politely refuse.
    I say ok I will take both guitars. I take em home swap the necks myself and return the one I dont want. GC policy is I can return the git for any reason. Because I love irony I will say the reason is I dont like the neck on it.
    I got the guitar I wanted and paid my hard earned money for. Customer is always right, right?
    Now lets take a trip to the past. I walk into Leo Fenders shop. Leo is behind the counter and asks if he can help me. Gee I sure hope so you see I love that 3TSB there but alas I really want a rosewood board. Leo perks up and grabs the SB and says " be right back" he returns in 10 minutes or so with the SB now sporting a rosewood board. Customer gushes and raves what great customer service. Pays for his new guitar and happiness ensues.
    Leo is smiling and thinking I just sold a guitar because mine come apart like I designed them to do. Yay me.

16. Intune

Thing is with your scenario of yesteryear is that you could easily find a 3tsb Strat anywhere after 1959. You wouldn’t need Leo to put one together for you.

Speed up to reality(2021 to be clear) there’s 5000 strat models and all are specific to colour, necks, pickups, etc and all documented to a certain point.

You, paying a employee to do you up a guitar because the customer is always right doesn’t make any sense. It’s a dream and I don’t think would ever happen ever in today’s world. The guy would loose his job or kick you out.

Then you being the shady dude buy both and swap necks yourself and then return the other one just make you a dishonest person. Who cares right it’s just parts.

17. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

As a seller, the only parts I swap without telling a prospective buyer are strings (tubes if it's an amp, and this does not apply if it's a vintage amp). All the rest has to be declared, be it a replaced screw to hold the pickguard.

Put differently: if somebody tries to sell to me their partscaster made of Fender parts as a stock Fender, they're trying to scam me. It happened to me, twice, and luckily enough I did not fall for it.

As for personal preference as a buyer, @Willmunny said it best:

… up to 70% if I really want it bad and it's rare on the market ;D

Willmunny likes this.
  18. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I buy new from a shop with a guarantee, I don't buy other people's problems. I don't mod guitars or sell them.

19. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

You know, no-one is saying it's prohibited by law. It's just dishonest not to disclose the fact that what you're selling is a neck swap. "It plays wonderfully, looks wonderful, and to achieve the magic we have swapped the neck". It's acceptable that you wax lyrical with "carefully selected" and "perfectly matched" but if you just keep the fact that it's a neck swap for yourself, you're just a scammer.

In your example, the guy that walks away with his "custom" guitar from GC is leaving behind a mongrel of sorts. We've seen one not long ago on the forum: a beautiful red AVRI 62 with a maple neck. If GC advertises it as such, and finds a buyer for full retail price, hey-ho everyone's happy. Or they can offer it at a discount. Whatever, it's a free market and a free world. Just be honest about what you're selling.

The Leo example is spurious: you're leveraging our emotional attachment to Leo, and mixing together two entirely different situations. If a swap is done at Fender it's "factory" by definition, right? If it's a model that does not otherwise exist, it's a one-off…

LawFlow likes this.
  20. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Just stop with this non sense.
    These techs are being dishonest to the next buyer and should be fired.