Genuine fender or genuine fender partscasters

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Intune, Oct 12, 2021.

Factory fender or genuine fender partscasters

1. Factory fender

76 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. Genuine factory parts into a hybrid

16 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. soulman969

soulman969 Most Honored Senior Member

I don't see it as being any less genuine if the work has been professionally done. As to it's market value that's a matter to be decided between the buyer and the seller.

2. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

There are a lot of "vintage" guitars being sold right now that weren't assembled in Orange County. ;)

Thrup'ny Bit and revtime like this.
  3. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

It's only 45 for me, as I haven't been here as long as you. My JWPL keeps things serene for me. Until...

fezz parka likes this.
  4. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Great opinions here guys. Going off track with your home brew partscasters being great guitars, vintage restoration projects, a Gilmore strats and selling of vintage guitar not built by Leo’s workers. All kinds of grey area on the topic, I see that.

I’m talking about a employee at GC taking 2 strats apart off the wall to give you say a rosewood board neck. Putting the maple neck back on a guitar that didn’t come stock with that neck ever. That gets sold off to the next guy.

Would you guys be ok with that? Would you buy that at full retail. If you would that’s great.

As far as vintage gear being swapped parts or partscasters. Great. I bet there’s a skilled appraiser or whoever going over that big purchase with a fine tooth comb. Is it worth money, sure is. Is it worth the same as a original, not likely. Is it Gilmours Strat, doubtful.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  5. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

If the guy at GC is swapping anything on a factory guitar, the difference between right and wrong is in the disclosure.

Whether the modded guitar is better or worse, whether it is prettier or matches better, whether the customer likes it better, whether it looses value or not, etc.... all that stuff is of zero ethical consequence. The only right thing is that the guy at GC is forthcoming about the mods, and that the customer is paying for what he thinks he is getting.

RadioFM74 and LawFlow like this.
  6. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

In the disclosure in both directions- telling the customer what he’s actually getting, and telling fender, hey, we’re mixing and matching to make our own guitars here- you cool with that?

StratMike10 likes this.
  7. Intune

Yes I agree. Tell someone what it is and maybe get a better deal. The question though or point I’m asking, is this still considered original? Would this employee even be aloud to do that without risking is job?

We’ll see when the next “help I’ding start parts” thread pops up.

I’m not saying whoever believes something is original if it’s all fender parts put together your local tech is right or wrong. Believe whatever you want.

We just refer to things in the guitar world as original or fakes. Deep down being all partscasters why do we need to help spot fakes, comparing to original if original are partscasters in some of your views. I’m talking fender parts here. Not aftermarket.

If you guys think they all partscasters made up of fender parts why do we have these threads then.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  8. Intune

You can say the exact same thing about partscasters too. People are still being fooled all the same.

Paying top dollar for vintage and it turns out to be vintage parts. Someone’s restoration project at $16k. No big deal I guess.

9. SonOfLerome

SonOfLerome Senior Stratmaster

I think that what you’re trying to say, and what most people agree with is that it’s not right to sell partscasters as original factory-assembled guitars, but the question is, what can you do about it? It’s already illegal, so those who are looking to deceive will always be able to do so. It doesn’t matter how they play, you didn’t get what you paid for. I guess really you just have to ask to take off the neck with any purchase, and go way more in-depth on the vintage end of things. Doesn’t help that there’s tonnes of websites that’ll sell you fender style bodies with accurate router marks and nail holes lol.

Intune likes this.
  10. LawFlow

LawFlow Strat-Talker

What about the person who comes in after you and is duped into buying the non-original Fender partscaster? The Fender database will reveal this. The SN on that neck belongs to the body it left the factory with. The issue is revealing the truth about what is being sold.

Intune likes this.
  11. Intune

Yes exactly! I’m not looking to out the guys doing this. It’s been going on for years!! I was asking who thinks it’s all the same since they are just partscasters anyway.

All this BS is because of one dude on another thread arguing this. Basically saying if they’re made up of fender parts what’s the difference between me making in or fender.

That is the simple point to this. Who thinks its ok to sell genuine fender parts guitar and list it as genuine.

SonOfLerome likes this.
  12. revtime

revtime Strat-Talker

You know we wouldnt be having this debate if Leo hadnt made his guitars modular.
    ;)

13. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

It really doesn't come down to an opinion or philosophy. A serial number lookup on the Fender Web site describes and shows the specific, genuine guitar that Fender shipped.

StratMike10, Intune and revtime like this.
  14. Intune

This is very true. People are kinda saying it’s all parts so what’s the difference. Like it’s my opinion on the matter. It’s not my opinion really it’s just as you said. You can look up on a website for yourself and see what it should have been sold as. It’s either genuine or not. So right or wrong.

15. SIngles Forever

SIngles Forever Strat-O-Master

Neither. Genuine Fender with 3rd party pickups and a Callaham bridge block.

Intune likes this.
  16. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Intune likes this.
  17. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

I have no doubt that the agreement between fender and it’s authorized retailers prohibits the retailers from making partscasters out of shipped guitars.

18. revtime

revtime Strat-Talker

What about Fender authorized products?
    Warmoth makes necks authorized by Fender. They had to know some of these necks would end up on Fender Holy Ground bodies. So why do it? Because they dont care. And if they dont care why are u so twisted up about it?
    Money. Not that its a great guitar.
    Not that its a beautiful guitar.
    Not that its exactly what you wanted.
    Its about money.
    I think thats sad.:(

Intune likes this.
  19. Intune

In the end it’s all about money you’re right. Guitars aren’t investments however they can hold value and sometimes they could sell for more.

It’s also about right and wrong. You seem to not get the concept. Go look at anything on antiques roadshow. What’s worth money, original unmolested stuff. We think our graves will be filled with our guitars.

Somewhere down the line some family member will be selling off great grand daddy’s 62 strat. He’s been telling little Timmy for years it will be his college education. That day comes and it’s worth 1/3 of what it should be.

How is that, he bought it from @revtime You robbed little Timmy of his future.

It’s is sad though. I get have nice guitars and just playing them. Believe me I have a few. It’s just with nice things costing a lot of money these days I’m not looking to through it away. It would be sweet to buy something and years later it’s worth the same or more. Not the other way around.

To add or prove this point, the guy that bought the partscaster, was told it’s at AO 60’s Strat at $1100, beautiful guitar.

Now speed up 80 years. Take that partscaster and a genuine AO 60’s to the road show. Someone’s gonna be bummed out.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  20. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

...how about my strat? :D

Exhead likes this.