Genuine fender or genuine fender partscasters

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Intune, Oct 12, 2021.

Factory fender or genuine fender partscasters

1. Factory fender

76 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. Genuine factory parts into a hybrid

16 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Exactly, buyer beware. Do your homework!! No serial, no COA, red flags.

My point was the guy that posted it for sale may see it as a legit Strat and probably a few members on here see it that way too. Since they’re all fender parts. My whole reason for this thread.

What it all comes down to since everyone seems to think differently on the matter is do your homework.

2. espyhop

espyhop Strat-Talker

In terms of the OP, I'd call it a Genuine Fender parts Strat.

I have what I call a 2018 Genuine Fender Classic Series '50s parts Tele. It has a 2018 ash Baja body, a 2018 Classic Series '50s replacement neck, Fender Nocaster pickups, and Genuine Fender hardware and pickguard. It even has '50s style blend wiring. Like the American vintage Teles, this has Gotoh SD91 vintage style tuners, a CRL switch, CTS pots, and a Switchcraft jack. The only non-vintage features are Gotoh In-Tune brass saddles and an Electrosocket, but those simply make it more reliable.

So, the components for this Tele are based on a cohesive concept, namely an affordable '50s style all Fender Telecaster with upgraded hardware and electronics.

The problem with most partscasters is that they speak to the owner's eccentricities than a cohesive concept.

D11E4872-39BA-4584-B0AE-885F1C64870E.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    Intune likes this.
  3. Intune

Looks great!! You’re right. A partscasters that’s a hard sell is usually something that too custom or personalized which makes it very limited to certain buyers.

All my partscasters that I’ve sold were all based of almost exact specs as custom shop instruments. I had no problem at all selling any of the at top dollar, fairly quick too.

It’s just I sold them as partscasters. With this thread I was trying to get thoughts on right or wrong when it comes to fender partscasters. Lots of people in the world seem to think if it’s genuine fender parts there’s no difference between your home brew and store bought when comes time to sell.

So every fender out there now, any slight red flag you better have it authenticated.

erobillard and espyhop like this.
  4. espyhop

espyhop Strat-Talker

Completely agree. My original plan was to sell it after it was finished, so I made sure to take pictures of the stripped body with the bar code and whatnot and of the hardware and pickguard in their original packaging. The Fender necks all have SNs and the bridge pickup has the Fender custom shop sticker on it.

The problem is it turned out too good and I like it too much to sell! That said, if I did sell it, I think I could get what I have in it, given the Fender's price increase and discontinuation of ash in affordably priced Teles.

5. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

No they certainly dont and the price they are willing to pay for them reflects it....

6. Intune

I should have added I’m not talking about a actual sale or whatever they get for it.

I’m referring to someone thinking since it’s authentic home brew parts it’s the same as a authentic store bought. Then list it as that.

Tell you the truth I really don’t know what this thread is about anymore. I should have been super clear in my initial posts. It’s like I’m a anti-partscaster guy and trying to fight crime and get all the fake guitars off the streets.

I couldn’t care less about scammers, shady dudes, partscasters values(no offence), anything I buy I know it’s legit. That’s not my issue.

Just wanted to see if I was the only crazy one who thought a genuine fender parts build home brew is NOT the same as a store bought fender. Both technically partscasters but ones in a database and ones not. That’s all I wanted to know. I got my answer and it turns out I’m only slightly crazy

7. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

Not quite sure I agree that you can't do anything about it. As @fezz parka pointed out, "doing your homework" before you buy a used guitar goes a long way.
    1. If you know the specs well, there will always be something popping out: that second string tree that shouldn't be there, the fact that the cover of the swapped out pickups doesn't match spec, … (both real-life examples BTW).
    2. Even if nothing strikes you as a clear red flag, there are maintenance schematics of Fender guitars everywhere and parts ## are stamped all over the guitar… check the parts ## and you're a long way in.
    2. As for major swaps… if you're buying modern Fender, their serial ## database tells you exactly what body that neck should be coupled to from factory (or vice-versa). And their customer service is quick in replying if you send pictures of a guitar you'd wanna buy.

Vintage is a whole 'nuther bag o' chips and I won't go there. But there's ways to avoid being scammed on a modern-production Fender.

Just to be clear: it does not make it less dishonest on the part of the seller who's selling a parts guitar as a "mint" this or that…

Intune likes this.
  8. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

Can I just add that I will not allow just anyone to disassemble one of my guitars "to check if it's genuine or not". Too many idiots out there.

I tell then what it is, allow them to hold it, look at it and play it, and if they buy it that's the end of it - no returns, warranties or any other crap.

I once sold a genuine original Fender neck and had the buyer contacting me to say "the truss rod is broken", "I'm gonna return it", "you're a cheat", and two hours later "Oh sorry I was using the wrong size allen key"...

And the relief had been set perfectly for the gauge of strings he was using before I shipped it anyway.

Thrup'ny Bit and Intune like this.
  9. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Well its all about the markets perception...function wise it can be the same,even better or a lot better but in the eyes of the market its always an unknown inferior product put together by a nobody and should be PRICED AS SUCH....in the end its all about the pricetag.Thats why we even talk about this stuff cause the brand carries a lot of weight and switcheroos like that destroy that illusion.

Most of the market anyway is people that cant even really play competently their guitar or string their instruments properly so they set the stage for everyone else cause they are the majority of the customers...and even if we are both knowledgable and you sell me your genuine parts guitar that i can clearly see its of serious quality, iam gonna use the majoritys standards to take it from you for mere peanuts cause...i can.

You can get all the original parts a mac computer has assemble it and thats still not a mac...ill pay 200 for it but not 2000...Since the marketing sold to the masses that the logo is magic and deserves crazy amounts of dough ill go with that even if iam fully aware that what you offer is great and what the logo implies is bull****....its all about the consensus.

If i find out that you sold me an EJ strat as original but the neck was from another EJ strat of the same model, ill hunt you down and slap you around with a tuna fish that was out of fridge for days until you give me the extra money you stole from me by selling me...authenticity....thats about it.Everything is fair when the money is fair.

Intune likes this.
  10. gmann

gmann Strat-Talker

They’re all partscasters to one degree or another but I get the factory assembled aspect of it. I wouldn’t mind either one if it was what I was lookin’ for but if non factory assembled I would want that disclosed and I would do the same upon resale. Of course factory assembled will carry a higher price tag and that’s to be expected.

Intune likes this.
  11. revtime

revtime Strat-Talker

I find it amusing that some of you think tito is a master luthier simply cuz he works at the fender factory.
    Just because the partscaster was assembled there does not make it superior.

12. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

Which is all well and good. Except that you wouldn't find out, because it's impossible.

:thumb:

Thrup'ny Bit, revtime and Intune like this.
  13. dscottyg

dscottyg Strat-O-Master

I have seen people selling used guitars, where they just listed as “black fender Stratocaster” or “2010 fender Stratocaster” I always ask what is the model, and sometimes they don’t even know. If a model number is named such as American standard, or American vintage re-issue 52, etc. it should definitely have been made at the factory and any changes should be specified in the listing.

Intune likes this.
  14. randallk5

randallk5 New Member!

The Cork Sniffers will whine about this issue....Yes it is still all Fender probably as good or better than a "stock" guitar one would buy at your local FMIC Dealer...This would be considered a "One OFF" or a partscaster which is no matter to Fender because the are selling their parts for over 100% over an assembled "Factory" guitars cost. However you don't have a warranty of any kind and the dealers are paranoid to sell or buy such guitars because it can revoke their Fender sales agreement....The "Franken Strat made of Authorized Fender Parts are of the same genome but this has been an abused privledge and is frowned upon selling as a Fender when all the parts may or may not be Fender authorized or Authentic..you see a lot of these on Ebay & Craigslist etc..so to answer your question "Is it a Genuine Fender" It was not made or assembled by Fender Factory then, No, it is not a "Genuine" Fender assembled product

Intune likes this.
  15. thegrasshopper

thegrasshopper Strat-Talker

A Fender partcaster can definetely sound better than a factory Fender (Eric Clatpon knows it) but if someone is selling it, he/she has to say it is a partcaster and not a factory built

gmann and Intune like this.
  16. kjatexas

kjatexas Strat-Talker

I guess a purist would say, that if it's not as it came from the factory, its a parts caster, even if all Fender parts. But, these are instruments, and players will modify them to their tastes. I bought a used AS Strat, with a gorgeous '60s style 3 color sunburst, off of reverb. It still had the original pickups, but pots didn't look like they were original. Put in new CTS pots, an orange drop cap, Xotic RV-60 pickups, and new wiring. To my thinking, that made the guitar better not downgraded it. If I ever sell it, (not likely), I kept the original AS pickups, which I would include in the sale. If you're going to play it, and keep it for years, even an all original guitar is going to end up with parts replaced. It's the obligation of the seller though, to describe the changes to the buyer.

Intune likes this.
  17. SonOfLerome

SonOfLerome Senior Stratmaster

I meant stop people from doing it, not stop people from buying.
    Fair points all around though.

Intune and RadioFM74 like this.
  18. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

I'm so OCD about pure Fenderness, I ship all my Strats to Fender to be tuned by genuine "Fender people".

nutball73 and revtime like this.
  19. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

This post displays such a complete misunderstanding of the whole thread it's actually funny.

Ok, let's make it simpler: in any contractual transaction, misleading the other party by offering false representation of the wares you're selling is a breach of trust and may lead to contract resolution, refund plus a claim for damages and legal expenses. Selling your beautiful-sounding partscaster for a "Fender original" guitar is just an instance of this. Do it at your peril.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    LawFlow, Intune and bluejazzoid like this.
  20. 392gasrat

392gasrat New Member!

Nothing from any Fender facility even touches a well crafted clone from an indie for 1/3 the price. As a wise man once said- both Fender and Gibson are also just making clones of guitars from their glory days. Different factories, craftsmen, tooling, management, ideals, etc. Except now, they also have unimaginable mountains of overhead- advertising budgets, HR departments, legal departments, facilities maintenance, corporate boards, etc. as well as NASA-level bean counters trimming away constantly which translates to sinking quality and soaring prices (you can't even get a one-piece body from the CS without spec order and the excuse for this from Fender is 100% bull$h!t). If you want a guitar for it's tone, feel, quality and mojo, and not the label....

I personally build my own stuff but there are thousands of small indie guys out there crafting stuff that will make you smile wider than could imagine.

revtime likes this.