Genuine fender or genuine fender partscasters

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Intune, Oct 12, 2021.

Factory fender or genuine fender partscasters

1. Factory fender

76 vote(s)
    81.7%
  2. Genuine factory parts into a hybrid

17 vote(s)
    18.3%
  1. Five Aces

Five Aces Strat-Talk Member

...and what happens when you purchase a guitar directly from Fender, and the assembler swapped the neck because he nicked it, but forgot to record the change in the data base he's responsible for recording? You all put a lot of faith that just because the s/n is recorded, it's written in stone? I can't say for the guitar industry, but I worked for 30+ years in military electronics and accutate records were required! Yet it boils down to if the individual feels it's worth the bother to record or correct a data entry..... it ain't gonna matter to him/her! ....seriously, nobody knows until someone gets caught, and only if it's affecting quality or liability!

Now.... go home and play you guitar!

2. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Custom Title Silver Member

This is a discussion forum. For discussions. If playing your guitar is what's important to you, maybe you should'nt be at the discussion forum? We like to discuss things on the forum dedicated to those things. Telling people to stop talking about stuff and to go play their guitars on a discussion forum seems kind of backwards to me.

dscottyg, RadioFM74 and Intune like this.
  3. l88vette

l88vette Strat-O-Master

IMG_3363.JPG In 2008 I bought an Olympic White standard Strat with maple neck at Guitar Center new. Plastic on the pickguard with all stickers and hang tags. It's a great guitar but I decided several years after owning it just to run the serial number. It came back as a Roland Ready Strat with black body. I don't know why the number doesn't agree with my guitar but it doesn't. I guess someone at GC could have swaped the neck or someone at Fender input the wrong data. I still love that guitar either way.

revtime, RadioFM74 and Intune like this.
  4. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

You and a small number other members are the only ones to get this.

I should have edited my original post to point this out. It’s hilarious how this turned into a thread were a partscaster is worthless and not a real fender.

I don’t even have a clue what this thread is about anymore. I’m the anti-Christ of partscasters.

Now there’s 12 people who think it’s ok to sell a all fender partscaster as original. No disclosure just simply in their brain they think because it’s fender parts it’s a legit fender Stratocaster. Ok cool until you sell to the wrong guy and well he’s not so happy and you end up meeting him in a back alley for the refund.

SonOfLerome, revtime and RadioFM74 like this.
  5. Intune

Perfect example. Great guitar either way so play it and enjoy it. The only time you will care is when trying to sell it if that time ever comes. Someone else runs the serial # and will see the same thing. No what? You sell it as original, dudes runs the serial after and you get a phone call or you sell it for less than you paid.

All because it’s possible some dweeb at GC swapped parts around to make a sale for someone else. You ended up with the donor guitar. Not real cool.

That’s my point to this whole thread for the 90th time. Great guitar, looks great plays even better but are you ok with this now misleading and now you’ll have to “explain” the guitar if ever sold.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  6. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talker

I think it's all right for a random dude to build whatever he likes.
    I'm not buying it, however.

There are exceptions to every rule, but "It's all Fender parts, right?" doesn't make it a genuine Fender. At all.

I never know how far out of rig a guitar may be after mods until I have it in hand. I've had guitars that were touted as "all original" but that were reassembled after mods were removed, and they required time and expense to fix. Pickup leads were shortened, soldering was haphazard and pickups were even shorted out. Switches were on upside down, etc.

With a real Fender, I can complain to Fender. With an "assembly" by some random dude, you never know what kind of hashed-up mess you'll get.

RadioFM74 and Intune like this.
  7. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

Anytime someone is selling a "genuine Fender" Strat (or Tele) it should be assumed it was assembled as-is at the Fender factory..... but only if it is new, and only if it is being sold by an authorized Fender dealer (in good standing).

Otherwise you'll need the Partscaster Police to examine it first.

Lol... every time I see "JWPL" it reads (in my mind) "Jack Wagon Propulsion Lab".

archetype and Intune like this.
  8. Five Aces

My apology if my closing comment was overstated. it definately wasn't intended to be counterproductive to the discussion, but more of a reference to the fact that it seems the thread has dragged on way over the initial intent.
    If someone cares that much of Genuine Fender vs partscaster vs whatever (usually for monitary value concerns) then it's really up to the individual to check & verify ALL details from the get-go! Check the database BEFORE actually purchasing the guitar weather it's from an individual, GC, or Factory direct from Fender. But as I said earlier, even the database was only as accurate as the person in charge at Fender, on any specific day.

As for myself, I buy the guitar because I like the fit, feel, and looks and because I want to play it. In today's world especially, I wouldn't recommend anyone buying/investing in a guitar hoping it pays for you childs college tuition in the future. Just like the stock market, present market conditions does not guarantee future performance! ....just saying!

I myself, have a few Fender Strats I bought new, and have no concern other than I expected genuine Fender parts on it and it met my expectations of playability and preferences. As for used, I assume no expectations unless I verified them myself.

Wound_Up and l88vette like this.
  9. Intune

Yup it’s the sad reality of it. My post proves that some guys no matter what thing their fender partscaster or random fender parts is still a legit fender product. In today’s world, if it doesn’t show up or match fenders database sadly it isn’t genuine. I don’t make the rules, fender did years ago.

So does the market really.

10. Intune

Yes thank you, this has dragged on far to long. Do you homework yes, every time, partscasters are great, this thread has turned into a partscaster vs genuine thread. Cool. It’s wasn’t supposed to be but hey people don’t read, just assume.

Just for the sake of argument. The new off the wall strats you bought, would you be ok if the neck was from another model on either of those? The sales guy didn’t mention it to you, you paid full retail however it plays great so what’s the difference? Is this something you’d be ok with since new off the wall it’s expected to be original. That’s the point to this thread. Would you be ok with that? Probably not.

11. revtime

revtime Strat-O-Master

I know its been played out.
    Its just so much fun. I have anticipation of the replies and I look forward to see if I have a counter point. I know I need to get a life.
    My point is a good guitar is a good guitar it does not need to be Fender or expensive. And I do not believe Fender is somehow better just because the name on headstock.
    Buyer beware you never know when I got hold of something and made it better. :sneaky:

12. Five Aces

In general (think GC as an example), as long as it's not a return, not previously used, and it's not being misrepresented as a specific/special model (signature model, or Limited Edition of sorts), I'm OK with a neck/body swapped model. I see it, I like it, & I buy it! It's expected to be a new Fender guitar.
    (with all the paranormal guitars on the wall, everything seems legit! LOL!)

Unfortunately, places like GC that have liberal return policies, makes every hanging guitar questionable (swapped parts, etc)! So you have to ask the right questions and voice concerns to your satisfaction, or walk away.
    Just as we question the accuracy (or honesty) of the retailer and its employees, we have no assurance that the Fender factory is necessarily any more accurate in it's description (for marketing purposes) vs what the factory really built. How many times have you seen the disclaimer "specifications subject to change without notice" . Is that a sufficient enough comment to cover all bases? again.... just sayin'

13. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster

I think it’s sort of a tricky question. If someone is selling a partscaster and does not disclose the details, then that’s very wrong. If they do, sure, that’s fine. So I consider it “Fender”. Yes, because it is. Is it an “ all original Fender“? No. Would I buy it? If I like it and the price is right, Hell yes

14. Intune

Oh man I hear you. I want this to be done in a way but I have 13 new quotes this morning. Exciting!

We’ve become fast friends, buddies, you even wrote a jingle about me. I appreciate it. :)

This whole thread started because of you and your way of thinking. Your not alone, there’s 12 other people that gave the thumbs up.

If you think going into your local GC, getting your boys to make you the ultimate Strat from a few different strat models and putting the rest of those now partscasters back on the wall is fine. You saying they’re all partscasters anyway is correct. Leo built modular guitars. Yes he did.

If I walked into that store and expecting to buy a original Strat and grab one of the now partscasters I would have no reason to do my homework as it’s hanging on the wall new right? This is my problem with the parts is parts logic.

In the end there’s 12 other people that think is ok and the reason so many people get scammed. “I bought it from a dealer” you still have to do your homework if buying from a GC in @revtime hometown.

revtime likes this.
  15. Intune

Wow, this is just sad. I’m clueless or maybe dense. If this crap really does happen at your local GC and they don’t seem to care than I really feel bad for the new beginners out there.

I’m in Canada so we have Long & Mcquade’s. I would say similar to a Guitar Center but not even close.

If I bought 2 guitars, brought them home, swapped necks and returned the other one I’d be banned from the store.

Employees would be fired for even doing that crap in house. I’ve heard stories of guys renting gear and returning it “modified” or not as it left the store. They were charged with theft and banned.

Just gotta say this is really sad. Good luck GC you guys are winners.

16. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

If fools could be blasted into orbit, that's what it should be called. :sneaky: Right now, it's merely a parking lot with numbered spaces.

revtime and Intune like this.
  17. l88vette

l88vette Strat-O-Master

As you can see from my earlier post I bought a guitar from Guitar Center that doesn't match the data base. However I don't think people take them home and swap necks etc. and can return without being caught. The serial number is on the sales receipt and if someone returns a guitar it better match. They do check. As far as the guitar I bought I really believe the guitar had not been tampered with. I still have the original receipt with the serial number on it. Why it's different in the data base is a mystery to me. In fact the salesman I bought the guitar from is someone I had bought several things from and trust. I guess I'll never know but I don't love the guitar any less.

18. espyhop

espyhop Strat-Talker

The problem is with the terminology in this thread. This debate is really about stock vs modified/partscaster. If a modified/partscaster is presented as a stock guitar, then that’s fraud.

However, if a guitar has a Fender neck, a Fender body, Fender pickups, and Fender hardware, then there’s nothing wrong with calling it a Genuine Fender, so long as it’s made clear that it’s not a stock guitar.

Colnago1, Parksie and l88vette like this.
  19. Intune

That’s close to what I thought I was getting at in my original post. It’s gone on to a battle about full disclosure, partscasters are not good quality guitars, vintage stuff, etc. Which is nothing really about this thread.

It’s about who thinks a guitar hanging on a wall made of random fender parts is genuine. That’s it. They list it as genuine because they truly believe that all fenders are partscasters so what’s the difference between store bought fender Strat or a home brew all fender parts Strat.

Nothing about being honest, doing any home work, getting ripped off. Just simply who believes a home brew fender Strat is the same as factory made fender pair employee version.

I wanted so bad to edit my initial post but it was too late. I tried to say this several times but it just turns into my partscasters are great.

20. revtime

revtime Strat-O-Master

Whats my space number again? I hope its close to the front door. Bad hip n all. Thanks.