yes it would... say it with me... SLINKY

I'll do even better than that.

THIS is a SLINKY......:p

il_570xN.493381299_8p0p.jpg

Guy Named Sue

Censored
Feb 11, 2015
Terra Incognita
John D'addario addresses this in part of an interview...but adds to the confusion.

John sez to use the common nursery rhyme phrase "Hi-Ho-The-Derry-O" to get the name right. It is thus pronounced "duh-Derry-O". However, even he softens the entry "duh" to where you can hardly tell it is there. At the end of the video, he sounds like he's saying "Derry-O".

I'll make sure to next time I'm buying new string tell the girl behind the counter, "Hi-Ho-The-Derry-O 10-48s, do you have those in stock? "

archetype

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 26, 2016
Western NY, USA
The larger point here is that reviewers/critics need to get it right...or their review/critique is immediately faulted.

I gotta disagree. Sure, inept pronunciation is simply laziness. That wouldn't negate a thoughtful review, for me.

A great player might be sitting in front of me, playing a D'Aquisto, mispronouncing it, and then starting to describe its attributes, but I wouldn't say "Hold it right there... I don't trust anything you say after that word."

myredstrat

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 3, 2020
close to the edge
So what the F is Y'all?;)
Where is this review of which you speak? Is the reviewers first language English?
need proof!
DR Blues on my strat, Ernie Ball on my LP

JDug

Strat-O-Master
Sep 18, 2020
New Jersey USA
In my town growing up, there was a kid who had the same last name, he pronounced it “de uh dair ee oh”, but yes, proper Italian pronunciation is “ Da darr-yo” . Kind of like D’Aquisto. I’ve heard people say “dee a qwisto” when its really “ da- keesto”.
I understand what you’re saying but as long as people are communicating and understand each other it seems ok to me unless we’re in Italy!

I wouldn’t dismiss the reviewer unless he was talking about a fine wine! lol

People don’t want to be ignorant, but sometimes when someone properly pronounces something from a foreign language, it can sometimes sound pretentious.

Dibbs

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 8, 2020
North Central Florida
Consult the outrage experts on Twatter and Instagripe. The can help you sort it out.

I'm far more concerned with the reviewer's objectivity. Is a fair comparison of strings made ? Is it comprehensive? Does it cover many styles of play? Is the critique fair, and even-handed ? Was the in depth research done? Personally, I don't care if he pronounced D'Addario "Monkey's Uncle", if he did his primary job right.