Join Strat-Talk Today

Getting Desperate then BOOM - New Amp Day X 2

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by dreamingstrat, Nov 10, 2019 at 6:14 PM.

1. dreamingstrat

dreamingstrat Strat-Talker

So I did ask the pros about amps for gigs, and solid state for cleans.. (First post in the thread below and you'll get the idea)

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/anybody-gig-with-solid-state-amps-or-lower-watt-tube-amps-that-doesnt-break-up.985147/

So I FINALLY decided to get a Solid State amp. It was the only thing I can afford. I went out and was ready to spend some serious money, so I loaded my wallet with a 100 dollar bill.

First stop was my favorite Pawnshop, (where I found my Avri62 - thread here - https://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-62-avri-custom-telecaster-pawnshop-find.908114/

I always see Peaveys there, Envoys, Studio Pros, Bandits, Roland Cubes, etc etc... I wanted to get at least a Red Stripe Studio Pro or a Bandit. If I see one of these, I can go home happy. If there’s none, I’m going to the nearest Fender dealer store and try out the new Fender Champion 50XL and Fender Champion 40.

But there were no Peavey’s to be found!!! No decent solid state amps. But there were expensive tube amps, like a Marshall head, an Orange rockerverb 50 and a few obscure Australian tube amps from the 60’s, and a few Solid state Crates, a GT Mustang III and a few other amps. They’re all priced higher than what I want to spend so I didnt bother.

Heart broken and desperate, I need to come home with an amp, my gig is on the 17th. i began to scour every inch of the pawnshop and saw this, hidden in one of the shelves, covered by a boss multieffects pedal, dusty but in excellent condition. You wont actually see it if you didnt really look for it. An AC4TV.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the price was, guess... 100USD (150AUD) i couldnt believe it. I have a tube amp but not in the output watts that id want for cleans, but for the money I have, I’ll take it home and try it maybe and see if I can use it and get some useable cleans since we’re gonna be MIC’ed up anyway. It might probably sound good with my set up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went home, cleaned it up and played it 30 mins straight, trying to find what is wrong with it. None. But well, what do you know.... The tone is just warm, loud, vibrant, in short, AMAZING. I love it! Its not my first time to use a tube amp, but its my first time to own a tube amp and that added to the excitement of playing and listening to the tones this little box produces. Love the tones with the volume at noon! Cleanish with a hint of gain! All i have are teles with low output 60’s pickups so the little amp was not pushed to break up, but i have never cranked a tube amp, so with a smirk, i cranked it. I think volume dimed is where this amp is at!! Too loud for home use though!!!

35mins in, I knew i wont be able to get the clean tone I want from this amp, but i feel like, maybe I can try and gig with it, just not use my heavier dirty pedals in front of it and I think i might be able to gig with it.

Stratbats, The-Kid, hornpiper and 2 others like this.
  2. dreamingstrat

I was about to set up my pedals and rock with a complete rig to see how it will sound with my gain stages when I received an alert from a local classifieds website on new listings that contained “Peavey” in the ad. I still wanted a loud Solid State Peavey to gig with so I’m still eager to buy another amp.

I checked it, and got surprised that a Peavey Classic 30 was listed for 200 USD (300AUD). You have to understand, Valve tube amps here in Australia costs an arm, leg and a liver. A used Peavey Classic 30 goes for 350-400 USD (500-600 AUD), so imagine my surprise! I cannot afford the cheaper tube amps like a used Super Champ XD/X2, and Pro Juniors, let alone a Peavey Classic 30! In the Australian market a used BJr III goes for around 400-500 USD (600-700AUD), which costs more than the Peavey Classic 30.

[​IMG]

The tubes were changed to JJ EL84’s and JJ 12AX7’s by a well renowned amp tech/maker here in Melbourne, Lucas Miles (seriously check out his amps in youtube), as the owner wants to get a smoother dirt channel and the seller has the invoices of the work done around 2015. Its been 4 years since then, do you think its due for another re-tubing and servicing???

[​IMG]

So I called him right away and he told me there’s someone who got to him first but havent responded yet and he gave him until 6pm to respond and if he didnt, its mine. The seller is a senior and seem to be a good man. So I told him, to update me if it didnt push through.

Later that day, seller got back to me and told me the amp is mine and he can deliver to me. I was genuinely surprised about everything. I said yes, sent him half of the price as a deposit and to take the ad down and I’ll pay him the remainder of the cash when he gets to me. At this point I was thinking of moving it on for the same price if I dont like it, i can easily get my money back and continue the search. But its tubes for the price of a higher end solid state!!! I already know I’m gonna keep it LOL!

So now, I have a tube amp with the headroom I want to get the cleans I want. I cant believe it! I may have been quite lucky to get two amps, for less than the price of a used BJr.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This amp is LOUD!!! when mic’ed, I may not be able to turn the volume past 3-4! Which will give me a good headroom for my overdrive pedals.

Now I cant decide which one I like better!! Seriously though, and i know y’all are not going to agree, but I can only keep one. Money is tight at the moment and I know that its just small money but a 100 is still a 100 and can buy my family some groceries and nappies for my bub. So I will sell the Vox AC4TV, despite being a fun amp, I need the headroom of the Peavey Classic 30. I havent had any time to bond with the AC4 so I cant really say I have grew attached to it, so I’m moving it on before that happens! LOL

And now I finally I have my first (or maybe second) tube amp!! After playing countless years with SS amps, while occasionally borrowing tube amps, I thought I will never be able to own or afford my own tube amp. Its not Fender blackface cleans, or not a Fender Twin, but beggars cant be choosers and I think the cleans are great, and enough for what I want to use it for. Selling the AC4 will recoup about half of what I spent for both, and for that money, I can only buy a used Fender Frontman 65R or a Boss Katana 50 in my local classifieds, and Im even hesitant to part with that money for those amps!

[​IMG]

I’ll use this and see how I like it, hear how it sounds in my gigs while saving money on the side so when I decide to sell this, I’ll have money on top to get a Fender tube amp. Or maybe I’ll keep it forever! Who knows!

How did I do good sirs?

3. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Nice either way. Enjoy your final choice!

4. dreamingstrat

thank you! Yes I will!

circles likes this.
  5. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

6. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

You did great. Both of those amps are just wonderful.

Is the Classic 30 a 1x15? I had one back in the day and it was absolutely fabulous.

7. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

Congratulations. Great day. I think that you did really, really well all around.

8. dreamingstrat

Yes sir indeed..

Bob the builder likes this.
  9. dreamingstrat

Classic 30 is a 1x12.. I think its the Peavey Delta Blues that has the same circuit but 1x15.. I would be interested to hear it too..

Thank you sir..

hornpiper and Nate D like this.
  10. dreamingstrat

Thank you sir!

Im planning to flip the Vox though,. I just needed the cash.. Money is a bit tight nowadays.. and I need the clean headroom for gigs anyway, so the money from the sale can be converted to more groceries or nappies for the bub.

hornpiper likes this.
  11. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nice man.

Classic 30s are amazing and sound amazing I use to have one until I blew it up overheating it....my fault different story . but I loved it and regret everyday being a Dumbtard for not treating it well.

My friends in a pretty succesful Sublime local coverband always loved to use it on their gigs. Now the guitarist uses a Mesa but the Peavey was their first foray into a real tube amp.

Started my first band with one of these too. They found me cuz I was crancking it and they thought I sounded amazing and heard me from half a bloco away and chased me down because of this amp lol

Congrats man enjoy.

12. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

Good to be happy! Beautiful guitars too!

13. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Bet that Peavey sounds great! If you only keep one I’d go with the Peavey - bigger amp and can do more.

Really dig those Teles!

14. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

You got a steal on both amps !! As you've figured out, the Peavey is going to the best for gigging, especially if you want clean headroom. However, I recently played with a one-watt Marshall that was mic'ed through the PA. Kind of nice because the amp worked great as a stage monitor for me. But you don't always have availability to mic an amp in a gig. And sometimes even when you do, the PA system can just get too muddy with too much going through it.

I'd guess you can turn a bit of profit by flipping the AC. Great finds and good luck !!

15. dreamingstrat

this is my first time using a Peavey Classic 30. I havent been able to go past one actually because we have a 1 y/o bub and I can only practice at night when everyone’s sleeping! Thats when the ac4 comes handy!

I will finally get to hear it when I do my gig in the 17th! Hopefully it will work with my rig and work well in the band mix.

16. dreamingstrat

Thank you sir!

17. dreamingstrat

this is what I think too!

I bought the ac4 because of the price and to get rid of “what if”. Because if it works, im just out small money and I dont have to buy more expensive amps, but it dont work. It doesnt have clean headroom so ill sell it and put the money towards the Peavey

18. dreamingstrat

yes sir. I really want a clean headroom. I figured on my gig, it wont be anywhere past 4, so i got plenty of room for my overdrives and have my gain stages to work properly.

thank you sir.

Miotch likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.