Getting started

Nocevets

Strat-Talk Member
May 19, 2019
Scotland
Apologies if a similar thread has previously been posted on this topic I'm new to the forum and a bit crap at navigating the menus.

I'd like to start some basic home recording just for fun and limited outlay and looking for some opinions on options. Should I go down the software route ( presonus audiobox with studio one artist) or hardware ( tascam DP 006/8 , Roland BR 80) would probably be my options but I'll gladly take advice thanks.

Nocevets

Strat-Talk Member
May 19, 2019
Scotland
It's windows 10 there is a couple of Mac books in the house but I'm not a fan of Apple even though I know their considered best for this kind of stuff, besides I wouldn't be allowed anywhere near them :D.I see I can trial reaper free for 60 days which is pretty decent, means I can see how my machine copes with it.

Nocevets

Strat-Talk Member
May 19, 2019
Scotland
Ok couple more questions I assume the scarlet solo interface will be ample for my needs it comes with pro tools which I assume is the free version is that a decent DAW? In comparison to the person is audio box is it a significantly better interface? Just ask cos it also has midi in/out which maybe useful at some point.

simoncroft

Still playing. Still learning!
Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
Ok couple more questions I assume the scarlet solo interface will be ample for my needs it comes with pro tools which I assume is the free version is that a decent DAW? In comparison to the person is audio box is it a significantly better interface? Just ask cos it also has midi in/out which maybe useful at some point.

Is your question about the Presonus audio interface? I've not used one, but I've owned three Focusrite units now, and the audio quality is very good. (Only jumping ship to get more inputs, not because there was anything wrong.) Personally, I wouldn't rush to use Pro Tools|First, because it's a cut-down version of a fully featured DAW. Reaper, on the other hand, actually is a fully featured DAW.

Nocevets

Strat-Talk Member
May 19, 2019
Scotland
Thanks to everyone for your advice, that's a big vote of confidence for the scarlet interface so I'll probably go down that route. I have to say I'm still tempted by the presonus audiobox purely from the increased connectivity has anyone any experience using one?

Cerb

Anti conformist reformist
Jan 22, 2016
Sweden
Thanks to everyone for your advice, that's a big vote of confidence for the scarlet interface so I'll probably go down that route. I have to say I'm still tempted by the presonus audiobox purely from the increased connectivity has anyone any experience using one?
I use the Presonus Studio 26 and it works great, I'm very happy. I sold my M-Audio because I wasn't happy with that one.

simoncroft

Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
On Windows, either Reaper or Audacity works, whichever you prefer.

Audacity is sufficienty different to other DAWs that it won't leave a user who jumps ship with as many transferable skills as Reaper. Also, it doesn't support VST3 or VST instruments, last time I looked. Although there's nothing 'wrong' with Audacity, I'm not sure why most people would choose it. It's something of a dead end in some respects.

Seamus OReally

Fading away
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2019
Santa Rosa, CA
Audacity is sufficienty different to other DAWs that it won't leave a user who jumps ship with as many transferable skills as Reaper. Also, it doesn't support VST3 or VST instruments, last time I looked. Although there's nothing 'wrong' with Audacity, I'm not sure why most people would choose it. It's something of a dead end in some respects.

It's free, and most ST'ers aren't interested in full production: they just want to record their guitar over a backing track. If they later DO get into audio production, they'll find a better DAW than either Reaper of Audacity.

Nocevets

Strat-Talk Member
May 19, 2019
Scotland
Everyone makes valid points and I'm begining to realise just how personal and subjective the topic is. Thanks for everyone's input i value everything thats been said and I've considered all the opinions done some reading up checked the bank balance and considered what I'm likely to attempt with this. It might not be the best decision in terms of quality or features but it's within my budget, I've opted for the audio box itwo which comes bundled with studio one artist which has more functionality than a basic DAW ( althought there are restricions) for me and appears less complicated than reaper for beginners, although I may still get the trial. But it gives me an interface and decent DAW for the same price as the scarlett. However I have been known to make bad decisions in the past:cool:

ajb1965

Old Enough to Know Better
Gold Supporting Member
Silver Member
Cakewalk by Bandlab is going to be one of the best free DAW software options. It used to cost $600 then Gibson dumped the 30 year old company into the trash. A Taiwanese company grabbed them and distributed the software for free. There's still a very large user base and some very helpful forums to answer any questions you might have. There's also a ton of free VST software for drums, bass, keyboards out there to go with it if you want to do more.

A Focusrite Scarlett V2 or Solo V2 are great options for a small home studio that won't set you back too much.

simoncroft

Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
Everyone makes valid points and I'm begining to realise just how personal and subjective the topic is. Thanks for everyone's input i value everything thats been said and I've considered all the opinions done some reading up checked the bank balance and considered what I'm likely to attempt with this. It might not be the best decision in terms of quality or features but it's within my budget, I've opted for the audio box itwo which comes bundled with studio one artist which has more functionality than a basic DAW ( althought there are restricions) for me and appears less complicated than reaper for beginners, although I may still get the trial. But it gives me an interface and decent DAW for the same price as the scarlett. However I have been known to make bad decisions in the past:cool:

The well respected magazine for home recording fans, Sound On Sound, gives your choice a healthy review: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/presonus-audiobox-ione-itwo

What's probably more important is you've stuck your toe in the water and decided to swim. All these computer-based tools are incredibly powerful compared to the little 4-track Portastudio I started out with, but that didn't stop me getting on with the business of creating my own music.

Please post back if you have any questions about the installation or use of your new set-up. Although I haven't used this particular hardware/software combination, I'm quite happy to download the manuals and try to help you find the answers.

You're right though: the 'best' DAW or audio interface is a little like the best guitar. There is a strong element of personal preference. ;)

It's free, and most ST'ers aren't interested in full production: they just want to record their guitar over a backing track. If they later DO get into audio production, they'll find a better DAW than either Reaper of Audacity.

I respect that perspective, and mine was just a personal opinion. It's just that if you jump to Cubase, Logic Pro, Pro Tools, or Reason from Audacity, it's going to be a strange new world.

JaxStratGuy

Strat-Talker
Feb 26, 2019
Florida
I get you've made your decision, but let me throw this out for thought. I quickly became of the mind to buy more than you think you need. Maybe I'm an edge case but I doubt it. When I started recording, I bought an iRig. Wow. Quickly outgrew one input. I currently run a Scarlett 2i4. It's a great device, but nowhere near enough inputs for a lazy guy like me. In the room right now, I have a bass head/cab and two guitar amps. There are four basses, two Strats, and an acoustic/electric. I like to mic the cabs and/or use the DI out of the amp. I really hate swapping cables in and out of the interface and I'm on the cusp of picking up a Scarlett 18i8 or 18i20.

Even if you don't want to go that crazy, what if you want to run instruments and vocals? Or throw in a drum machine, Beat Buddy, etc? imho, 2 inputs isn't enough. I'd go with the Scarlett 6i6 at a minimum.

And while Reaper has a learning curve, it's an incredible piece of software with a huge community.

ajb1965

Gold Supporting Member
Silver Member
I get you've made your decision, but let me throw this out for thought. I quickly became of the mind to buy more than you think you need. Maybe I'm an edge case but I doubt it. When I started recording, I bought an iRig. Wow. Quickly outgrew one input. I currently run a Scarlett 2i4. It's a great device, but nowhere near enough inputs for a lazy guy like me. In the room right now, I have a bass head/cab and two guitar amps. There are four basses, two Strats, and an acoustic/electric. I like to mic the cabs and/or use the DI out of the amp. I really hate swapping cables in and out of the interface and I'm on the cusp of picking up a Scarlett 18i8 or 18i20.

Even if you don't want to go that crazy, what if you want to run instruments and vocals? Or throw in a drum machine, Beat Buddy, etc? imho, 2 inputs isn't enough. I'd go with the Scarlett 6i6 at a minimum.

And while Reaper has a learning curve, it's an incredible piece of software with a huge community.

Good point. Home recording has spawned more GAS than any music related thing I've done. Oooh, Waves is having a sale. I NEED STUFFFF!! Oh, Toontrack is having a sale, I NEED STUFFFF!! lol

simoncroft

Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
Good point. Home recording has spawned more GAS than any music related thing I've done. Oooh, Waves is having a sale. I NEED STUFFFF!! Oh, Toontrack is having a sale, I NEED STUFFFF!! lol

Er... yeah. I have more plug-ins than I care to admit, and Waves accounts for most of them. :oops: There's always a Waves sale on!

This is my advice: Keep your money in your pocket until you really know how to get the best from the software you've already got. Too often, I bought software because a really experienced engineer made it sound great in a demo. Later on, I realised I could get a very similar result from a plug-in I already had, if I set the parameters to similar values.

Once you know what you really need, those discount offers are a great opportunity to buy in at a good price. :thumb:

ajb1965

Gold Supporting Member
Silver Member
Er... yeah. I have more plug-ins than I care to admit, and Waves accounts for most of them. :oops: There's always a Waves sale on!

This is my advice: Keep your money in your pocket until you really know how to get the best from the software you've already got. Too often, I bought software because a really experienced engineer made it sound great in a demo. Later on, I realised I could get a very similar result from a plug-in I already had, if I set the parameters to similar values.

Once you know what you really need, those discount offers are a great opportunity to buy in at a good price. :thumb:
^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^
This x infinity!!!!!