Gibson’s crappy plastic

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by 3bolt79, Dec 2, 2020.

1. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

‘I could have taken it to my friend who is a Gibson and Fender, etc warranty luthier. But I will enjoy doing the work myself. I already filed the nut to my liking and I will enjoy fitting the new rings. I do quality work if I do say so myself. I am going to teach a fellow forum member how to do this job, and how to set up an LP. She likes to learn and a I have been doing work on her guitars for her.

CB91710, PCollen and Bob the builder like this.
  2. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

3bolt79 likes this.
  3. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Interesting. I made an incorrect assumption. Thanks!

3bolt79 and CB91710 like this.
  4. Esg877

Esg877 Strat-Talker

Couldn't agree more.

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. vortexx

vortexx Strat-Talk Member

Those were very likely overtightened at some point. Gibson pickup surrounds are never fitted with a curved bottom. They are soft and conform to the top. This is what happens when someone decides to make it as tight as possible. User error at some point. Also if the rings were replaced, you would end up using the same screws because most come with none, and the others would look bad and be chrome.

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. VinStrat

VinStrat Strat-Talk Member

Me too

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. siegeld

siegeld Strat-Talk Member

I had a plastic PU ring bend like that on a PRS and easily bent it back into shape with pressure from my fingers. Most use plastic there. No biggie.

8. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talker

This isn't crap plastic; it's crap installation. These rings are flat on the bottom and meant to be fitted (shaped) to a curved top.

StewMac has a video that shows how it should be done, but I think I've only seen two or three techs take the time to do the job right, and Gibson doesn't employ any of those. Having them send you new ones will give you a chance to find someone who knows how to fit them, but it's just another of the reasons I don't buy new Gibsons more than once a decade these days. The process of getting them set up to play as well as the under-$500 imports is expensive and off-putting.

https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-i...a-les-paul-pickup-ring-to-the-curved-top.html

9. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talker

I'm sure this has been asked and answered elsewhere in this thread, but why aren't the screws holding the pickup rings to the guitar gold?

Quality Control Inspector #9 has some 'splainin' to do.

10. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talker

Gibson doesn't make the tops the same each time. So...no.

Whatever defect you make note of to Gibson, they'll inevitably reply that it's "traditional." Crap finish, bad fretwork, bent pickup rings, cracked plastic input jacks, badly cut nuts, yada yada. They'll tell you that's how they did it Back In The Day and it all contributes to that Great Gibson Sound.

11. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talker

And that's why you're a Strat-O-Master?

12. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talker

Not always.

My old L5S has gold pickup ring screws, as do several of my old archtop electrics.
    But those are, as we say, old.

My much newer Axcess Custom came with gold hardware and gold pickup ring screws.

Maybe it's just the Studios?

13. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

That bridge pickup must be really hot to deform the plastic ring like that.

14. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Gibson design.
    For some reason, they use black screws on guitars with gold hardware on most models... even the Les Paul Custom.
    Not saying that your L5 wasn't original, but that's how they do it on the Les Paul and most other solidbodies.
    This is something that the counterfeiters nearly always get wrong and is one of the first things to look for.
    I was surprised, and pleased, that Epiphone actually did it correctly on the Joe Bonamassa LP Custom, because Epiphone also uses gold screws on regular production models.

JB_Body1.jpg

15. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talker

The L5S and the Axcess Custom are originals without question and both have gold screws in the ring corners. My old LP Customs are mid-50's P90 guitars, so no rings. The old archtops never had pickups replaced (for in the days when I bought them, there *were* no alternative pickup winders) and the screws are gold. Obviously Gibson is using some different color screws on some gold hardware models now and again, but I doubt that their level of consistency is enough to identify counterfeits.

CB91710 likes this.
  16. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

I bought some Gibson vintage correct pickup rings a few years ago to replace the ones on my Less+ and they fit perfectly, and were pre-shaped for the body.

20201202_101254.jpg