Gibson Garage

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by SurfsUp, Jun 10, 2021 at 4:59 PM.

1. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

Anyone else been following the hype?

Had a quick view online, neat interactive website, 3D tour ect ect.

Personally, I'd love to go. Never been to Nashville, it's on my bucket list, and I'm 48 now. My wife said for my 50th "let's go ~ have a tour of the Garage and Gibby's plant and pick one out and bring it home".

We need to open the borders!!!!

2. Caedarn

Caedarn Strat-Talker

Nashville is awesome. Definitely go. Some of the tightest bands I've seen were playing in the bars on Main street, and you can just walk in and listen to them. And if you make the trip, hit Memphis too for Beale Street (and Elvis, if you're into that)

Roca81, abnormaltoy, space and 3 others like this.
  3. SurfsUp

Oh I'll be hitting Beale Street up for sure! My workmate was recently in Nashville, he said it's one of the greatest places he's been and as a music lover he's surprised I've never been myself.

abnormaltoy, dante1963 and Caedarn like this.
  4. dante1963

dante1963 Senior Stratmaster

It really is kind of awesome. (And I'm not a fan of country music.)

A while back, I did a corporate hypnosis show in the upstairs area of the Margaritaville on Broadway in the "Honky Tonk District", and after the show, I went across the street to get some ribs in some random bar.

At 10:00 PM on a Thursday night, the whole street was packed with people having fun. The bar (which had killer ribs), had some band playing.

I was stunned at the quality of the band. They were obviously incredibly good. I wondered what they were doing there, since I heard that all the bar gigs were "Pay To Play." In between sets, they passed the hat for tips. I've since been told pretty much every bar along that street has that kind of talent pretty much every night.

And Hatch Prints is completely awesome.

Whenever I can finally get back to Nashville, I am definitely going to Gibson. I kick myself that I never got around to visiting their factory the half-dozen or so times I was in Memphis. I kept saying "...next time." And then they shut it down.

abnormaltoy and SurfsUp like this.
  5. Caedarn

Caedarn Strat-Talker

Yes! I really want to do a road trip to Nova Scotia, so I'm all for the border opening also!

6. Caedarn

Caedarn Strat-Talker

You described my reaction exactly. I've never seen anything like it. The best bands you can imagine (musically) playing for tips...

abnormaltoy and dante1963 like this.
  7. SurfsUp

Been there once, breathtaking. Go, and take it all in.

As for the music in Nashville, from what my work mate was telling me, it's not at all country and western. In fact, he popped into a bar and a band was doing an entire acoustic set of 80's music......growing up in the 80's he loved it. But didn't stay too long at $9US for a beer. Next door, $2.50 a can, lol.....

I'm going dammit. And Gibby is coming home with me. And being my 50th, may just be a special model too....:cool:

8. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Mr. Serious Gold Supporting Member

I was so impressed with the quality of musicians playing for tips down there, I wrote a song about how red-hot those Broadway cats are.

Driftwood and dante1963 like this.
  9. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

10. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

I can see her supporting the trip, the tour and the guitar, but she's gotta be some kinda special lady to let you bring home a model too!:whistling:

SurfsUp likes this.
  11. SurfsUp

How long ya been sittin' on that one? Scroll on...

hahaha. Now that, is witty. Good catch.

abnormaltoy and Caedarn like this.
  12. Driftwood

Driftwood Strat-Talker

Nashville is a cool place. Most friendly large city I ever lived in. Most smoking guitarists you will ever find. The dude who tells you "I'm just a couch picker" is the most dangerous guy. He changes your oil and then later you see him at the jam where he proceeds to eat your lunch. Best player you ever saw. Then you see another guy, the other best player you ever saw. It's actually like that there. Music store to music store, mind blowing ability.

I learned how to play some real guitar while living there. Miss it sometimes but the gigs are few, pay absolute crap, and guys who are local institutions pretty much own the regular gigs. I remember overhearing two dudes in a GC parking lot saying "the gig pays real good, 150". I had to butt in and ask and they confirmed that was decent money for the area. I sought greener pastures after I boosted my skills. Might return one day though for further studies. The printers alley jam has a special spot in my heart.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  13. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

I like the way she thinks..!

abnormaltoy likes this.
  14. Censport

Censport Strat-Talker Platinum Supporting Member

I grew up in Nashville, so you can imagine my surprise when I moved elsewhere and found out that not everybody is a musician. Got invited to join bands and tour all the time, made a decent living at it. Then moved back to Nashville to take care of the folks and have only sat in at a few jam sessions since. Just not going to play the "game". Still, I recommend a visit for anyone who loves music. While you're here, check out the Lane Motor Museum if you're into cars, motorcycles, airplanes, or bicycles. They've got stuff I guarantee you've never seen before.

As for Gibson Garage, I stopped in yesterday afternoon. It's very nice. I'd like that conveyor in my living room, hahaha. They didn't have any Deluxes in stock (I asked one of the regional reps), as I'd like to replace the '79 I foolishly traded off at Corner Music back in the late 80s. Still, I saw Tak Matsumoto walking through in the crowd. Wish I had taken the initiative to stop him and say hi. Been a fan for years.

abnormaltoy and Driftwood like this.
  15. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox

Breathtaking indeed! I moved to Nova Scotia from California twenty-some years ago, and only ever regret the decision some frigid mornings in February.

This is a great road trip spot. The Cabot Trail in Cape Breton rivals anything on the Pacific coast. Too many other amazing spots to mention, you just can’t go wrong. Tons of old inns to crash at, wonderful seafood, interesting accents, stories and traditions and cultures and music.

This is definitely a place with tremendous potential and opportunity, a place where you can build a great life, but understand that nobody is going to hand it to you, you gotta make it. But hey, maybe that anywhere you go.

Just don’t come here expecting great pizza or Mexican food.

16. Driftwood

Driftwood Strat-Talker

Not sure if it's still that way but back about '05-'06 Murfreesboro road late night made for quite the urban adventure. Not for the faint of heart but your local street urchins and ladies of the night will be found. Lock doors. Stay in center lane. Blow the red light if anyone approaches your vehicle.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  17. Sixstringer107

Sixstringer107 Strat-Talker

My only experience with Nashville is delivering a load of something in a truck, I can't even remember what it was, and I sat on I-40 west for 9 hours in a snowstorm getting there.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  18. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

Sorry, you asked if anyone was following the hype. IMO that's what it is. Nashville is a cool place, I've been there several times, but I am not excited about anything Gibson does any more than I'm excited about any corporate hype from any corporation.

Stonetone and abnormaltoy like this.
  19. Floopty Doo

Floopty Doo Strat-Talk Member

I went to Nashville before Covid to see Iron Maiden and check out the town for a few days. Very cool! I even bought my first Gibson while there. There can be a "Vegas Lite" atmosphere in some places, but lots of music. If you don't dig what's being played, just stroll down the street until you hear something you like.

20. Roca81

Roca81 Strat-Talker

Beale street is a lot of fun. Been in memphis since September and have been a couple times myself. Hopefully we can Make it to Nashville before my son is discharged from St Judes. He is a cancer survivor and just finished his bone marrow transplant.