Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Gibson j15 or..

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by StrugglingStrum, Oct 2, 2017.

1. StrugglingStrum

StrugglingStrum Strat-Talk Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Ft worth texas
    I'm considering a new acoustic. The j15 is a beauty and is like to get one but I really have never played a Gibson I liked. At first I hated the slumped shoulder look, but it's grown on me so much I'm about to pull the trigger. I'd go try a new one at GC but my local GC is full of a bunch of burn out jerks who follow you around and hound you the minute you walk through the door.

I'm wanting a warmer/less bright acoustic. I like Taylor's but they're on the bright side. Never tried the gpc4a but it was on my list too. If anyone has suggestions or experience with the j15 it'd be great to hear your thoughts. Also, the walnut back and maple neck are just gorgeous. Thanks!

2. kbraker

kbraker Strat-Talker

Dec 9, 2006
    findlay ohio
    I have played 3 or 4 different ones and liked them all
    Also, the Martin 15 series is worth looking at. Same for the DRS1 and OOORS1

3. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

Nov 11, 2012
    New York
    I went through an acoustic phase last year and looked at the j15. Very nice but it seemed like you were paying for the Gibson name and could get comparable features in othe guitars. I'd check out offerings from Breedlove and maybe Martin and larivee in the j15 price range. Larivee, being the least well known, will probably be the most bang for the buck. They sound amazing but of course, it might not be the precise sound you're looking for.

4. nungesser

nungesser I ain't askin' for much..Lord take me downtown... Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2014
    Ireland
    ever try a Seagull?
    not a real looker they have a small headstock that to say the least is odd, but they definitely fall in the warm category, and for the $350-$650 range they have a lot of sound for the money

5. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dark and thumpy? Gotta go with Gibson.

6. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    Takamine pro series of some sort would.ve a good choice....

7. ToneFidelity

ToneFidelity Strat-Talk Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Quebec, Canada
    Had a J15 for a few months. At the same time, I had a J35 and two J45 (Standard and ''Vintage Series'' from 1997). The J15 sounded boxy to me. Loud guitar but lack of definition.

If you are on a budget and absolutely want a Gibson, try the J35. Much more projection and definition than the J15. Goes really well with a male singing voice, too.

There's a lot of really clean one at low prices on the used market.

For instance:
    https://reverb.com/item/6859597-gibson-j-35-j35-acoustic-electric-guitar-w-ohsc-2017-natural