Join Strat-Talk Today

Gibson LP vs prs single cut

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by guitarface, May 6, 2019.

1. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Who has a Gibson or epiphone les paul and a prs single cut lp style? Which do you prefer and why?

CephasG likes this.
  2. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

I have several Les Pauls, and while I've played plenty of PRS's the only one I own these days is a PRS SE EG (Stratty type guitar). In general PRS are beautifully built guitars, but I don't seem to be able to bond with them. They just seem a bit too "high fidelity" for me, but maybe that's why I generally like Teles over strats too - the Tele is more rough and ready.

Same with Gibson vs PRS - the Gibsons get under your skin more; they may not be as refined, but they make you feel more "rocky".

I realise what I've just written is a load of subjective balls, but I dunno how else to put it!

simoncroft, Jesse414, Nate D and 5 others like this.
  3. arithon

arithon Strat-O-Master

I'd agree with Nutball....

PRS guitars are really pretty and well-made instruments....but the ones I've tried just felt lacking in personality.....Lps have a je ne sais quoi to them that PRS imho lack.

But don't listen to us...play them both and pick what you like best!

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  4. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I can honestly say I have never had the pleasure of trying either one except for a Gold Top I played when I was in the service in the early 80s but I had no clue what to do with it. If I had the money to purchase one it would be PRS.

simoncroft likes this.
  5. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

I haven't played a PRS single cut, though I own a CE24 and had a Cu24 S2 for a month.

When I first tried PRS (the Cu24 S2 I only had for a month) I concluded that they were sterile sounding and lacked the mojo of a Les Paul. Years later, I tried a CE24 and really liked it. I thought at one point that the CE24 could replace my LPs. They can't.

For whatever reason, everybody (myself included) seems to want the PRS to sound like something else...an LP or otherwise. They have their own voice and some would consider that a lack of mojo. After going back and forth between my LPs and my CE24 these past few years, my conclusion is that the PRS just has it's own brand of mojo if you are willing to open yourself up to it. I played it at my last gig and I was really happy with my tone. It's a very comfortable guitar to play.

6. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

I'm pretty sure that that is what Paul counts on.
    I am friends with a PRS SC goldtop player and I have been his guitar tech for it's entire life. The construction is second to none and the finish is lovely. The guitar always feels cold to me. Because of that extremely subjective reaction, I find it impossible to play for more than a few minutes at a time. I have several Gibson and Epiphone LPs that do not elicit that reaction and are infinitely more appealing to me.

7. guitarface

It so happens that I started seeing the allman brothers band in the days when dickey and warren were both playing prs so between going to stores and seeing how beautiful they were and then seeing that kind of validation on stage, they've always been extremely desirable for me.

simoncroft and circles like this.
  8. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

I was in Sam Ash this weekend all set to buy the new Standard 60's LP. I sold my 2018 LP traditional because it sounded too muddy and blah to me. I figured the new 60's would be better since it has the 61 pickups vs. the BB 1 and 2 like the Traditional had and the new Standard 50's have. The standard 60's sounded just as muddy and dull to me as the Traditional I sold last month. Then I tried a PRS Custom 24 10 Top. Night and day difference. I can now safely say that I am not a Les Paul guy and don't think I ever will be but someday I might buy a Custom 24. It worked out well though as I ended up buying a Martin HD 28 instead.

9. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

That's good info and if I was in the market for one and was going to fork out that much money I definitely would want to play it first.

simoncroft likes this.
  10. BallisticSquid

I wonder how an SE or an S2 would have compared to your experience with the Core Top 10 model. Those are a bit too rich for my blood. I'd be afraid to take it out of the house! :)

Congrats on the Martin!

simoncroft likes this.
  11. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Senior Stratmaster

PRS all the way. I may never buy another brand again.

12. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

I tried some of the SE line and did not like them. Not sure what a S2 is?

13. guitarface

S2 is American made, maybe with Asian electronics? More affordable American made, less frills- plain, satin type finishes on some.

BallisticSquid likes this.
  14. BallisticSquid

I seem to recall that the assembly of the S2 guitars is done overseas but final setup and quality assurance is done in the US. The carve of the guitar is simpler also to cut costs, so you won't see the recesses in the wood for the knobs. Both satin and gloss finishes are available.

The S2 line falls in between the SE and Core lines.

15. mscjr

mscjr Strat-Talk Member

PRS makes a fine instrument "knocks on the clipboard, hear that??! Even our clipboards have tone!!!!!". That being said, I've only had two, a custom 24 and a CE24 - and while both were fine instruments, I ended up getting rid of both but still have a Les Paul.

If I were faced with the choice, I would choose a Les Paul EVERY TIME for the sole fact that I can be wishy-washy with keeping things, and the LP is going to hold its value significantly better.

16. lonegroover

lonegroover Senior Stratmaster

I have a PRS SE Singlecut, and it's a lot better made than either of the Gibson LPs I had. Wouldn't swap it for either of them.

Stratoskater likes this.
  17. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

I should perhaps add that (IMHO) Paul Reed Smith comes across as an arrogant, condescending knob in all the videos I’ve seen of him. He maybe a lovely bloke but I don’t see it.

BallisticSquid and mscjr like this.
  18. guitarface

Pretty sure they're "made" in Maryland, whatever that means. You might be thinking of something that reverend or sterling by musicman does.

BallisticSquid likes this.
  19. BallisticSquid

You are right. Here's a snippet from a 2013 PRS press release about the S2 line (bolding is mine):

"PRS Guitars’ new S2 Series instruments – the S2 Mira, S2 Starla, and S2 Custom 24 – offer the fit, feel, and attention to detail of PRS craftsmanship in a fresh, straightforward design. Meaning “Stevensville 2,” the S2 Series is named for a second manufacturing line created inside the PRS Stevensville, MD shop that blends new manufacturing techniques with practiced quality control and workmanship to create instruments at a new price point for players. "

20. BallisticSquid

There's a video of him dropping nuts made from various materials on stage to demonstrate their tone qualities. I'll give him this though...he's passionate about guitars and making guitars and his company makes a quality instrument.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.