Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Gibson

Votes: 34 89.5%

• Total voters

Chuck8436

Senior Stratmaster
May 12, 2017
Texas
TL;DR : Dean USA, Dean USA Custom Shop or Gibson?

My birthday is around the corner, and I had a conversation with my dad about selling my LPC and replacing it with something that checks more boxes for me. He was very supportive, and within 30 minutes of listing it, the LPC sold. So now, here I am. I dont want to own an ocean of guitars and since Ill be moving in a few months, I would like to have maybe four guitars tops. Four that I really love. I already have three. So Im looking to replace the top spot, previously occupied by the LPC. I'd been thinking about doing this for a few months, so I already have a few finalists. I thought about doing a warmoth build, but decided against it. Because if I end up hating it, Im screwed. I also prefer set necks. Anyway, I like the Gibson 70s explorer, thats a finalist. It checks many boxes for me, but Id prefer an ebony fretboard and I absolutely dislike the binding on it. If it werent white, maybe Id like the binding better. On the other hand, I was considering this Dean USA V. Pictures attatched.
I love everything about it, EXCEPT the lazy logo. Id like an inlaid one. And that trademark symbol is kind of lame on a high end guitar like that. Another concern I have, is that I like the feel of a nitro finish, and I dont want to drop 3 grand on a guitar that feels cheap. That logo situation is already pretty off putting. Boy, is it pretty though.
Thing is: I know what to expect from Gibson. They arent perfect (no one is) and I dont expect to be super blown away by a production model. (Aint no way Ill be able to afford a custom shop). With Dean: Ive only had experience with lower end models. And 9 out of 10 of them sucked. But We're talking sub $500 guitars. Ive never even seen a Dean USA guitar in person, let alone played one. And for 3 Gs, I would want to be VERY happy with it.
I have been considering a Dean from the Custom Shop, but I dont know if theyre going to take longer than 7 months, which is when I'm moving. Ive heard five months, Ive heard more than two years. And if I hate it? Im screwed. Plus, is it worth the additional $1000 or whatever theyll charge me just for a proper inlaid headstock logo and a nitro finish? I also find it offputting that I cant get a quote without providing my credit card number. Other than that, this video kind of worries me. I dont want that dude with the beard and the rings anywhere near my custom build. Lol.

Ive heard glowing reviews of USA Deans. Ive read posts on other forums. But I am curious to hear your opinions. In before "Deans are so ugly, Why do you want a pointy gimmick guitar?"
I like the pointy headstock, sue me.
dean1.jpg dean2.jpg

Last edited:

Chuck8436

Senior Stratmaster
May 12, 2017
Texas
Dean for life. Just so much cooler!

then again, I’m biased.
Everyones biased. Lol. Thanks for your opinion. I love the look of Dean guitars. Even before I knew how to play. So why Dean? What have you played/ have you owned that makes you prefer them?

AngelDeVille

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 25, 2017
ABQ
Are you saying you may want to sell it to me? I dont know how I feel about HPs. Im not a fan of asymmetrical neck profiles. I didnt even know they made HP Vs though. How is it?

I have an older (2004) flying V and the only reason I'm parting with the HP over the older one is because I can get more $$ from the HP. Other than that I like it a lot more than the standard. The heel joint alone is phenominal...

mine is the alpine white, I'm just across the border in New Mexico. and I did ditch the etune, it was total carp...

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/USA/Flying-V/High-Performance.aspx

Chuck8436

Senior Stratmaster
May 12, 2017
Texas
I assume that Dean makes good guitars because so many people say so, but I'll never know because they don't make any models that float my boat, and I cant get past the fugly headstocks.
I get that. Ive heard a lot of bad things about their import models, but I havent heard many complaints about their USA models. But someone has to love Dean to begin with to pay that much. If only they had some USA models locally to check out. Ever. But thats the price you pay living out in the country.

Chuck8436

Senior Stratmaster
May 12, 2017
Texas
I have an older (2004) flying V and the only reason I'm parting with the HP over the older one is because I can get more $$ from the HP. Other than that I like it a lot more than the standard. The heel joint alone is phenominal...

mine is the alpine white, I'm just across the border in New Mexico. and I did ditch the etune, it was total carp...

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/USA/Flying-V/High-Performance.aspx
If it werent for the small pickguard and all the chrome, I mightve taken you up on that offer. It just doesnt check enough boxes for me. I didnt even know they made the etune for V headstocks. Lol

Blue Beagle

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 10, 2016
Liverpool, England
If it werent for the small pickguard and all the chrome, I mightve taken you up on that offer. It just doesnt check enough boxes for me. I didnt even know they made the etune for V headstocks. Lol
The chrome covers come right off, it was the first thing I did when I got my Les Paul HP and also replaced the knobs. It looked horrendous.

Chuck8436

Senior Stratmaster
May 12, 2017
Texas
The chrome covers come right off, it was the first thing I did when I got my Les Paul HP and also replaced the knobs. It looked horrendous.
Yeah, the knobs arent my thing. I dont mind the covers so much. But the truss rod cover isnkind of unsightly. The main issue for me is the pickguard. I prefer the full one.

Polarbear

Don Poleone
Apr 18, 2011
England
Everyones biased. Lol. Thanks for your opinion. I love the look of Dean guitars. Even before I knew how to play. So why Dean? What have you played/ have you owned that makes you prefer them?

ive played many, owned two. I remember hearing about them in school which was around 2008. Been a member of the Dean Owners of America (DOA) since 2009 and have always loved the ML shape. I just think they’re coolest guitars in the world, yes they get stick for being pointy or hit n miss but heck, the best rocks stars in the world have played them! dimebag, rik emmett, ZZ Top, Dave Mustaine...

Yes, Gibson have more history and are better at holding value but can you seriously get cooler than this?

9C014815-2C73-445C-B5DC-9CAF5A06DA7B.jpeg

I remember having that picture on my wall when I was a teenager. I would stare at that guitar for hours and I’ll never not have a Dean. I regret selling my ML, but I’m on the verge of getting another.

whatever choice you make, you’ll make the right one.

Chuck8436

Senior Stratmaster
May 12, 2017
Texas
ive played many, owned two. I remember hearing about them in school which was around 2008. Been a member of the Dean Owners of America (DOA) since 2009 and have always loved the ML shape. I just think they’re coolest guitars in the world, yes they get stick for being pointy or hit n miss but heck, the best rocks stars in the world have played them! dimebag, rik emmett, ZZ Top, Dave Mustaine...

Yes, Gibson have more history and are better at holding value but can you seriously get cooler than this?

View attachment 448191

I remember having that picture on my wall when I was a teenager. I would stare at that guitar for hours and I’ll never not have a Dean. I regret selling my ML, but I’m on the verge of getting another.

Thanks for that! Funny thing, I also learned of Dean as a teenager in 2008

Chuck8436

Senior Stratmaster
May 12, 2017
Texas

View attachment 448191

Looking at that headstock, see how much better it looks without that stupid trademark symbol? I dont get why thats on that expensive V. Thats the one thing about it thats really making me second guess