Gidday from Sydney - oh' and also its NGD for me (almost!)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Parksie, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Hi all,

Ive been a member of the Squier-Talk forum for a while now and I thought I would say hi to everyone on the Strat-Talk forum as Ive just paid for a new guitar yesterday and Im now waiting for it to arrive in Sydney sometime next week.

To give you some background I have been the owner of a really nice 2011 Gibson Les Paul Custom in Black for the past 10 years and last year I finally got the Stratocaster bug!

I currently have a 1989 MIK S serial Squier and also a 2012 Simon Neil Squier pictured below;

IMG_9326.jpg

I replaced the pickups in the MIK with Fender 57/62's and it sounds amazing.

Since getting the Strat bug Ive been researching lots of models and have pretty much decided that I would like to get an AVRI because I really want to experience that classic original Fender tone.

I may already be getting it from the 2 Squires but to be 100% certain I was keen to get a genuine made in the USA Strat!

So yesterday I pulled the trigger on a 1988 Fender 57 AVRI in Fiesta Red.

I've attached a couple of pics below but the resolution isn't that high.

Once the guitar arrives I'll take some more pics and post them.

s-l800.jpg s-l800-1.jpg s-l800-7.jpg

From what I can see from the photos I received from the seller the guitar looks super clean.

It's a one owner guitar from new and I am very excited about this new addition!

I would be very happy to hear any comments or opinions anyone may have about this model as Im keen to learn more.

Hope you like the guitar and keep rockin!

Cheers from Sydney!

PS....I think its an 88' however it could be an 89' due to the saddles having FENDER stamped in reverse.

I'll take the neck off and check dates when I get it to be certain!

2. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Congrats on your new guitar.
    You got a red thang goin on haven’t you!?

I was wondering.....has the pickguard been changed on that 57 AVRI? I would expect it to be a single ply....

3. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Thanks mate.

I like fiesta red with rosewood necks a lot.

Although this 57 AVRI has a maple neck I couldn't pass it up as the price offered was very attractive.

In regards to the pick guard from what I have read on Fuzzface the 57 pick guards were mono layer.

The 62's were 3 layer.

https://www.fuzzfaced.net/fullerton-vintage-reissue-specs.html

Not 100% sure if this is correct but it may be.

Cheers.

NateH likes this.
  4. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Have I been ripped off????

The seller said it was a 62' but I assumed it was a 57 due to the maple neck.

Were there any 62 AVRI's with maple necks??

5. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

Hello – and welcome! A beautiful collection you have there! Red is (in my opinion...) the BEST colour for a Strat!!

Yes – the 50s Strats had a single-ply pickguard, if you wanted to change out the pickguard – the part number you would need is: 0094245049

https://darrenriley.com/store/stratocaster-pickguard-0094245049/

I would (personally) add then, 'Aged White' plastics – part number: 0991368000, or Pure Vintage '50s – part number: 0992096000

https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-stratocaster-accessory-kit-aged-white-0991368000/
    https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-american-vintage-50s-stratocaster-accessory-kit-0992096000/

OR – you may be totally happy with what's on it already, in which case – all that will be left to do is play the sh*t out of it... so – regardless of pickguards and plastics – you have yourself a BEAUTIFUL guitar there, enjoy it :) !!!!

Parksie and stratobiker like this.
  6. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

I don't believe there would have been any '62s with Maple – but I wouldn't worry buddy, I think the seller is just mistaken... the pickguard looks like a '62 pickguard, but everything else points to a '57! A lot of people don't like a single-ply pickguard, and many change it out to a three-ply – that's what could have happened here!! Me – I like the simplicity of a single-ply, though I do like three-ply too! I REALLY think this a genuine AVRI '57 and you have NOTHING to worry about – I could be wrong of course, but I REALLY don't think I am – so... don't worry :thumb: !!

Parksie likes this.
  7. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

James, thanks for your input.

The guy I bought it from doesn't seem to be the kind of guy that would change a pick guard.

He told me he bought it in Singapore from new in 1990.

He also told me he was in his 70's so not a youngster!

I didn't met him as he is in another state.

What makes you think its a genuine 57 AVRI?

Can you let me know more as Im very freaked out right now!

Thanks!!

8. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

A

Also, now that Im checking ever little detail - why would the volume and ton knobs b cream and the pickup covers still white?

Im freaking out!!!!!!!!!!

9. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

I just found this on REVERB

https://reverb.com/au/item/38424037...MIy7XL96G87wIVRgVgCh1C-g5bEAQYASABEgJoMfD_BwE

10. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

I personally wouldn't worry about the plastics, people change these all the time – and they can be changed back!! With regards to why I think it is genuine, well – I'm not an expert, but the link you posted to Fuzzfaced – if you look at the headstock on yours – it looks the exact same to me, as the one on Fuzzfaced – and indeed the one you linked to on Reverb, it's a very subtle tell – but it's enough for me to be convinced. There's an extra roundedness on the headstock of these models you see – and yours has that, and it is I believe unique to this series – so, unless I am SORELY mistaken, you have nothing to worry about! As to the plastics – again, it could be totally innocent – maybe he lost one, and bought the wrong replacement set – maybe he had all 'Aged White' at one point, and lost the original knobs – whatever the case, I personally wouldn't let that concern you TOO much :) !!!

11. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

Here's another: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1988-FEN...630936?hash=item28abe56b18:g:1kgAAOSwXA9eVTTR

This looks a lot like yours – I would say THIS is what yours should look like, and with a new pickguard – and new plastics, as linked above – yours would look like this! This has the same subtle headstock, the same curves, the same vibe... as I say – I could be sorely mistaken, but it would be VERY sorely!!!

Has anybody else any thoughts on the matter? Let's put this man's head to rest :) !!!

12. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

The guitar is still in the buyers state and hasn't ben shipped yet although I have payed for it already!

I have emailed the seller asking if he changed the pick guard so Ill wait and see what reply I get.

Interestingly today I asked if he had the original tremolo as it wasn't showing in the photos and this was his reply;

Yes, it does. Actually I have a Hank Marvin style tremolo arm that I ordered from the UK. It’s called Easy mute tremolo bar. I paid $110.00 for it, but if you’re interested it’s yours for $60.00.

Below is the image of the original Fender tremolo arm which looks legit.

Unknown.jpeg

13. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

How do we explain the differences in the pick guard screw positions.......Im not liking this at all. Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 11.42.25 pm.png

14. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

Seeing all that sweet, sweet (printed) Case Candy would be enough to rest my mind – honestly!! I would be VERY surprised if this is not a genuine USA Fender!

15. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

You have very nice taste in guitars. Welcome!

Parksie likes this.
  16. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

So you think seeing this photo of the Fender case candy would confirm its authenticity?

Unknown.jpeg

17. Malurkey

Malurkey Senior Stratmaster

Welcome! :thumb:

Parksie likes this.
  18. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

Easy!! '50s pickguards had only 8 holes – and from around '60 onwards they had 11 holes, some '59s had 10, 11 – it varied I believe, but at one point they settled on 11... – the pickguard on yours is not the original pickguard I should imagine – but that doesn't mean the guitar isn't genuine, though... he may have drilled an extra couple of holes to make the '60s pickguard fit – but... if you were to change back to an 8-hole – the holes would be covered.

19. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Thanks matey - Im just a little freaked out right now about the possibility that Ive been ripped off!

20. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

I just don't see how this guy would have done this....

He didn't sound like a veteran guitar geek.

He was just a guy.

Know what I mean?