Gidday from Sydney - oh' and also its NGD for me (almost!)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Parksie, Mar 18, 2021.

1. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

I do – but does he seem like the kind of guy who would go and defraud somebody, by selling a counterfeit guitar? Surely not? Regarding your last question – about the case candy... it is the headstock that has convinced me – the case candy only assured me further, I would be very, very surprised if this was not a genuine Fender product!

Does anybody else want to chime in? I could be wrong on all of this? I don't think I am!!!! – but I could be?

C'mon gang – help us out here!?

2. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Heres a pic showing the plate with the V serial number.

Maybe it will help!

s-l800-3.jpg

3. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

A couple more pics.....

s-l800-9.jpg s-l800-5.jpg

4. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

It looks genuine to me anyway – good luck with it, I'm SURE you will love it :thumb: !

5. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

The seller just confirmed that he didn’t change the pick guard....

6. SonOfLerome

SonOfLerome Strat-O-Master

At worst it’s a partscaster, neck and body didn’t leave from the factory together.

But in all honesty it seems to me that the much more likely thing is that either the shop or someone who owned it in that 2 year period between 88 and 90 swapped the PG. I really wouldn’t worry.
    Once you receive the guitar we can tell you for sure by looking at the electronics and neck heel I believe.

Parksie and J4ME5 like this.
  7. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Strat-O-Master

Good looking Squiers there Parksie.
    I also believe your new AV is genuine but not a 62. I'm sure your going to enjoy it.

Parksie likes this.
  8. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Well Im not getting a lot of comfort sadly.

I purchased what I thought was a 62 AVRI only to earn that its neither a 57 nor a 62.

I now have a guitar being shipped to me that I had no idea what it is.

SonOfLerome likes this.
  9. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

Well at the moment the best guess seems to be an AVRI 57 with a changed pickguard as the only obvious mod. I think the 'incorrect' for '57 12th fret dot spacing is correct for the Fender reissues of that period.

If you wanted a '62 surely you wouldn't have gone for a maple neck?

If you've paid and the thing is on it's way the only thing I can think to do is wait till it's with you then post up detailed pics of the electronics, neck butt etc etc and hopefully that will be confirmed. If it is then the only thing you need to do to restore it to 'original' is switch the guard back for the single ply 8 hole '54-'59 style.

Anything could have happened to the original guard ... swapped in the store on arrival with a damaged original and swapped for the only spare they had. Maybe someone said they'd buy it with a different guard and so the store swapped it but they never returned to pay and pick up. Maybe the current owner simply forgot he himself changed it. It could have been quite a while ago....

PS. Have you run the serial number through Fender yet?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  10. Nokie

Nokie Strat-Talker

Now that is interesting. I never heard of the "infamous" 57/62 AVRI Strats. That a few made it to market would mean that, not only was there a confused builder, but a final check quality control worker (s) wasn't catching the error. I know one such Fender qc guy who is very much the geek when it comes to parts details BUT I don't know that they all are - and there are several working that final step. It would be interesting if more online ads, beyond this one Reverb seller, have noted this error. The one you're buying seems to be another example and if it is from 1986, that would add a bit more credibility to the story.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  11. EXTRABLUE

EXTRABLUE Strat-Talker

does the headstock have the same serial #

12. EXTRABLUE

EXTRABLUE Strat-Talker

13. Mutza

Mutza Strat-Talk Member

Hey Parksie !
    Yeah ...great score !Looks ridgy didge to me !
    I have an avri '91
    62 reissue ...beautiful guitar !
    What's the serial no. on the neck plate ? It would most probably have a V0.....prefix.
    Mine was bought brand new and came with a single ply 8 hole pickguard... so maybe they do get a few things wrong back at the factory !
    Onya
    Muz

14. Mutza

Mutza Strat-Talk Member

Woopz... didnt see the pic of serial no. before...!
    My 91 model avri serial is
    V075625... so yours looks about right for the year.
    Muz

15. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Muz, thanks for chiming in - appreciate it.

I've had the guitar for a couple of weeks now and its quite an amazing guitar.

Beautiful tone and the neck is incredible.

Interestingly, one thing that I hadn't discussed on this forum or brought up before is the tweed case.

I realised only a few days ago that the case is actually an original Fullerton tweed case which I understand was only made between 82' and 84'.

The case is not from 1989.

So......what does this mean?

The neck we know is dated 6 August 1982 and the pots are dated May 1989.

We also know that the neck is a 57' reissue and the body is a 62' reissue (as there is no extra drill hole that has been covered by the pick guard).

So not only did I end up with the Fullerton 82' neck I also ended up with the original Fullerton tweed case.

Based on this info I can safely assume that the guitar didn't ship like this from the factory.

I have to assume that there was an 82' Fullerton 57' reissue in the shop in Singapore and somehow the body was swapped out for a 1989 62' reissue body.

The original Fullerton tweed case then remained with the guitar and was then sold to my seller in April 1990 when he walked into the shop and purchased his dream 'Hank Marvin' style stratocaster.

The case literally looks brand new apart from some oxidising showing on the brass locks.

I've seen original Fullerton cases in very poor and worn condition sell for $700.00 so a case like the one i have in 'collector grade' condition would be worth much more.

So overall this purchase has proved a very good investment plus its a dream guitar to own and play.

IMG_0220.PNG IMG_0332.jpg

16. Mutza

Mutza Strat-Talk Member

Great investigative analysis Parksie !!!
    Strats with stories are even better !
    They are an enchanting desireable instrument and some more than others....I think yours is right up there
    No matter its build it looks absolutely beautiful and I bet it does sound as good as it looks....
    Muz

Parksie likes this.