1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Gilmour Switch installation

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by AnotherStratelite, Oct 15, 2020.

1. AnotherStratelite

AnotherStratelite New Member!

Hi all, I've recently bought myself a mini toggle switch and recessed mounting thing for the 7-way "As Used By David Gilmour Though Possibly Not, Even He Can't Remember Specifically" mod for my strat.

Would anyone be able to tell me what type of tool I might need to use in order to cut the hole in my scratchplate.

I've seen a few pictures of strats people have simply drilled a circular hole in and to be honest find it quite ugly, I prefer the straight line almost grain of rice looking slot the recessed switch pokes out the top of.

If there's anything I should know before attempting this myself, tool etc. I would be interested to hear some advice and am open to just abandoning any thought of doing it myself and simply leaving it to a professional at the strat's next set up.

2. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

I've thought about redoing mine with the recessed toggle... or just ditching it altogether LOL. I don't use it either.

you can get parts here (a bit pricey though)

https://www.stratcat.biz/4031p.shtml

or probably wing it yourself with a dremmel pretty easily.

I've contemplated using a ruler to draw lines on the underside between the tone and volume pot and the screw holes for the switch. Wherever these lines intersect is your center point and you can figure it out from there.

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

Here's how I did it in my SX Strat-oid (left in avatar). I went with master volume/tone, kept the standard (upgraded) 5-way and used the rear tone hole for a two way mini-switch, supported by appropriate washers. Up engages the bridge always, down has it follow the 5-way.

20201015_112035.jpg

StratoMutt likes this.
  4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

you guys... just use a push/pull switch.. that way in a few weeks when ya are thinking, "that was a lotta effort for nuthin'....", you can pull it out, put the original pot back in and be back to a normal "null" point with no extra holes anywhere.. how sweet is that?

r

5. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

When I did mine I just used a dremmel tool free-hand. You need a steady hand but it's pretty simple.

6. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunny Frankenstein Silver Member

Or just leave it as is and play it looking normal with the pot in the down position.

Nate D likes this.
  7. AnotherStratelite

you guys... just ignore the thread and keep scrolling.. that way in a few hours people aren't seeing your unhelpful post thinking, "that was a lotta nuthin'...." you can pull yourself together and choose not to criticise people for wanting to modify their guitar in a way that doesn't affect you in any way whatsoever!! Stay on the null point that my interest is at in people who post guff that adds nothing to the discussion. How sweet is that?? :)

Thanks for the useful input, I'll ask around see if I know someone who has one!

CyFan4036 likes this.
  8. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

perhaps you may want to pull yourself together and not criticism someone for sharing almost 60 years of experience with installing mods, then uninstalling them for clients... Most like this are. . Yawn!!

But that aside, welcome, plug in and put the beer in the 'fridge..

r

CB91710 and Chont like this.
  9. AnotherStratelite

Yawn indeed.

10. train

train Strat-Talker Silver Member

Buy new s. Plate (10.$ u.s.) then you and your Dremel can make your dream hole without fear.

11. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

I bought one at Harbor Freight for less than $20 and it came with everything I needed. Good luck, man...I really liked that mod!

AnotherStratelite likes this.
  12. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

When I did a Black Strat build, I was able to order the scratchguard with the slot installed: https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/it-begins-gilmour-black-strat-build.389521/
    Outside of springing for the new guard, it depends on the tools you have available. A router would be optimal and give you the cleanest result, but drilling two small holes in a line and then working them together with a file to form a slot would also work if you take your time with it.

CyFan4036 and AnotherStratelite like this.
  13. AnotherStratelite

Thanks for the link, worth it for Winston alone

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.
  14. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

My mini toggle

I'm on board with Ron though as most all "add on" switching I've done (which is quite a few, teles and strats) I did via push-pull.

Rigging up different Strat pickguards (pup changes) I've had through the years, I did have a mini toggle in the parts box leftover from tearing up a pickguard I had it on (for neck on) as well as a p/p for series.

So decided to use it up on this geetar.

Simple small hole to drill is all.

Mini Toggle-  neck on sjtalon.JPG IMG_2696.JPG

Stephen James likes this.
  15. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

In answer to your hole question, for a person without a dremal tool, I should think if one took the slot width appropriate drill bit diameter, marked on the bottom of the pickguard the slot needed, then drill a hole on each end of slot marking, you could file the middle piece out nice and neat.

As far as your rebuttal to Ron's first post, I just want to KINDLY say;

When you start a thread on these sites, you are going to get all kinds of opinions/suggestions that can end up different than what you EXACALLY want to know/do as we all like to just talk shop.

So you get, I did this, or I did that.......................because of whatever reason.

We should all try to not feel injured by what someone else posts by taking it as any personal slight or attack. People by nature like to voice there opinion or suggest their way of doing things for reasons of pride or more often,
    they want to help the next guy by offering OPTIONS in a way to go about things.

So take those posts for what they are worth, or just scroll on and find what you need.

One can learn a ton of things from those like Ron on here that have hundreds of been there, done that projects they can share with us.

I have found that a person can never take for granted how invaluable, or time saving, knowledge from actual experience can be.

So what gets posted usually isn't intended by nature to bash what the OP is looking to do, but just to throw another option out there for consideration.

Sometimes in jest, the wording could be taken wrong when we don't personally know each other, so it can be easy to take offense sometimes.

Happy Pickin !

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Tone Guru and CB91710 like this.
  16. CB91710

CB91710 CB91710 in a Legible Font Double Platinum Supporting Member

G&L mounted the switch "above" the knobs on the S500, closer to the edge of the guard.
    Recessed mount is going to be more difficult because you need a bracket to hold the switch, and that bracket has to mount to the bottom of the guard in a way that won't show on the surface... with means securing it using the volume and tone pots, or glue.
    Glue is a problem if the switch needs to be removed, and also prone to breaking loose if the switch is hit.

I'd agree with Ronkirn that a P-P pot, or a Fender S-1 switch, would be the cleanest and retain the stock appearance.

1_s5_copy.jpg

17. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-Talker

+1 on the push/pull.