Join Strat-Talk Today

Gilmour wiring w/Super Switch?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by beachgod, Oct 14, 2013.

1. beachgod

beachgod Strat-Talk Member

Hi
    I want to do the David Gilmour toggle switch mod to my Strat but the wiring diagrams I find for it show a standard 5 way switch. My guitar has a Fender Custom Shop Super Switch with like 20 lugs on it. I'm trying to do this on the cheap (free) since I already have a toggle switch and I'm assuming I can use the Super Switch but I have no idea what to do. I could buy a 5 way switch and it'd be problem solved but using what I already have would be cool.

I'd appreciate any help with this. Here's what my switch looks like and the pinout:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is what I want to accomplish. I could do this with a 5 way switch as shown easily, I'm just stumped with the one I have.

[​IMG]

2. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Strat-Talker

A superSwitch is really a 4 pole 5 throw (4P5T) switch - just use any two of the four poles, side-by-side (A & C or B & D) is easiest to wire. Use the Common (0), 1, 3, and 5 lugs as you would on a standard 5-way with 0, 1, 2, and 3 lugs (which is really a 2P3T with 2 'extra' throw positions)

Hope this makes sense and is helpful.

3. beachgod

Thanks! I'll give it a shot, it makes a lot more sense when you explain it that way.

4. Skinny Nitro

Skinny Nitro Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Not sure that will work as the standard 5 way links 2 lugs on the same layer to the commons in positions 2 & 4.

The normal 5 way has 2 layers which have the commons C wired together and the pickups wired to the bottom layer B.
    In position 1 the bridge on lug B1 is connected to the B common wired to the A common connected to A1 lug.
    In position 2 the B1 and B2 (middle pup) lugs are connected to the B common.
    In position 3 the B2 lug only is connected to the B common.
    The diagram should make it clearer.
    The superswitch connects the different lugs to the commons '0' one at a time. There may be a way round but it needs a wiring expert to figure it out.

Attached Files:

5. beachgod

Thanks, Skinny Nitro. I'm going to go the easy route. I just ordered a Fender 5 way switch and will yank the Super Switch out. Maybe I'll use it on a Partsocaster someday.

6. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Strat-Talker

Probably best.

7. beachgod

I got my switch and wired it up per the attached diagram. I'm really enjoying it but there's a "mystery sound" I'm not sure of: the 5 way set to Middle pickup only and the toggle on. Is this possibly bridge and middle in series? No mention is made anywhere of this even being a setting but it sounds different to me than the middle pickup and the toggle off.

[​IMG]

8. hotpot

hotpot Strat-Talker

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  9. DarrenD

DarrenD New Member!

Possible to wire the bridge in SERIES?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.