Giving my 50s CV Strat a bit of a facelift

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by mattlikespizza, Aug 1, 2020.

1. mattlikespizza

mattlikespizza Strat-Talk Member

SO. I can't stop modding my 50s CV Strat, and I'm finally done. I initially installed some Fender Hot Noiseless pups and did a handful of other small changes like making the neck satin, but one of the Fender pups ended up having some issues so I returned them.

I was going to go with some Wilde PuPs, but I saw that ProAudioStar was selling the Fishman Fluence Strat set and battery pack for $224 before I used a 15% coupon code, and I couldn't resist. I LOVE the fluence pups in my Strandberg. They are incredibly articulate and the pick response is something that's hard to explain, but I can't say enough good things about it. So I ordered up the kit and picked up a new Fender 5-way switch, along with a new pickguard/knobs and a Kluson plate. I've always been more of a modern guitar guy, so I can't do 60 cycle hum. (the black on the copper tape is electrical tape to help potentially avoid any small chance of a short because I was worried that the cavity might not be deep enough. I'm not very savvy when it comes to electronics, and the added 9v had me worried.)

To add some flavor to the mix, I picked up a small toggle switch so I could turn the HF Tilt feature on and off when needed. So far I really dig it on. Overall, I'm blown away by how good these PuPs sound. I'm finally getting those iconic (noise-free) Strat sounds that I've been chasing, along with having the push-pull for added "hotness". It's really made me freakin love this guitar. I highly recommend checking them out if you spend most of your time playing/recording in front of the computer.

The whole goal for this guitar was to use the money saved on buying a Player Series to make it perfect for my needs, and I'm super happy I went this route.

Here are some quick photos:

IMG_20200731_170437.jpg IMG_20200731_190346.jpg IMG_20200731_190350.jpg IMG_20200731_212555.jpg IMG_20200801_104355.jpg IMG_20200801_104404.jpg

2. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Strat-Talker

Nice guitar!

I like your choices. You've turned it into a very versatile instrument.

The CV50s guitars are great right off the rack IMO. I gigged with my CV50s Telecaster straight away and had no complaints. But, like you, I kept modifying, sometimes just to see the effect it would have. Now the only thing left of my CV50s that's original is the body. ;) I'm thinking about getting an MJT body and then put all the original CV50s parts back together so I'll have what's become a partscaster, and have the stock CV50s too. This is what my CV50s body looks like with all the new parts, ha, ha.
    IMG_20181010_095511742_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Jaguar Convert Strat-Talk Supporter

What did you do with your stock pickups. Selling them?

4. mattlikespizza

Thanks man! Love that trans cream color, and that neck really sets it off. I'm sure I'll end up doing the same thing. I've always had a soft spot for full rosewood necks, so I'll eventually replace the neck when it ends up needing larger scale fretwork. Tinkering is just as much fun as playing for me. ha

For now, I think I'm going to hold onto it as a full pickguard in case I ever sell the guitar. If I change my mind, I'll toss you a message.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Jaguar Convert Strat-Talk Supporter

Cool. I’ve got an extra set already, but these are definitely some great, affordable pickups. Some of my favorites, for sure.

mattlikespizza and Chicago Matt like this.
  6. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 Deeply SHY. Strat-Talk Supporter

Hi, @mattlikespizza

I think that black pickguard looks nice with the Graphtech saddles :)

The Fluence pickups and battery plate sound interesting.

mattlikespizza and Chicago Matt like this.
  7. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-Talker

So, you could stop modding :D

Seriously, looks good.

mattlikespizza likes this.
  8. Dan_Q

Dan_Q Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Great work. That looks fabulous :thumb:

9. Belltonenblues84

Belltonenblues84 Strat-Talker

I have 4 classic vibe strats all 3 are heavily modded. 3 got a callaham tremolo system & full steel block 1 got a guitarfetish tremolo system with a *shorty* steel block. .1uf capacitor and a 3 way switch.

The fiesta red 50s FSR w/ gold hardware got slider 59s

The sunburst 50s got raw vintage rv50s with a replaced middle pickup (so it's not rwrp i just bought a raw vintage rv50 neck pickup to replace it).

The vintage blonde 50s got Ron Ellis 54s in it.

The CAR 60s got a set of don mare super sports.

They all sound very different from each other

10. macoshark

macoshark Strat-O-Master

I know a lot of members like to tweak there Strats. Some of those seem to never be able to find what there looking for in there mods. It's all good and hats off to Mattlikespizza for a good job on his tweak of the CV50s. I'd like to be able to do as nice a job some day.

11. Belltonenblues84

Belltonenblues84 Strat-Talker

Here's the vintage blonde one

12. mattlikespizza

Thanks man! Pick up a Squier when you can and get to moddin'! I'm just happy that Fender offers cheaper models that allow for this. Covid has me pressed for cash, so I had to sell a dream guitar and build this up as a cheaper alternative. I was able to pocket about $700, and I honestly don't even feel like I downgraded. If anything, my tone got better. haha

Sounds great! I almost went with the blonde color when I was eyeing up options and I almost regret not going that route. But.. I'll always want what I didn't go for. ha, the dream is to eventually build up a Blonde or Daphne Blue Warmoth partscaster with a Wenge or Rosewood neck, but Covid led to me being laid-off, so I'm stuck for a bit.

Here's a quick clip of a riff that I've been toying with on the new Strat. The tone isn't anything special because I recently discovered Rory Gallagher on youtube and just started trying to recreate his sound in Bias FX 2 (my main rig). I got lazy/sidetracked and just started playing when it sounded passable.

The Doo and Belltonenblues84 like this.
  13. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

Sharp!!!

14. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

Modding CV's feels kind of dirty because minus the cheap trem block, they are just so great stock. But yeah, it happened to me. I replaced the bridge assembly with a $20 MIM bridge just to get the larger block. Then I ended up doing and EC conversion with vintage noiseless pickups and the mid-boost kit. Fun guitar, and it's great now but it really didn't need me messing with it.