Gloss Urethane relic?

mdlm

Strat-Talk Member
May 9, 2014
Spain
I got GAS for an Ultra Luxe strat, I love the look of the guitar but I wonder if the body finish on this model will get relicated "quickly".

According to the fender website, the guitar body has Gloss Urethane finish. From what I see in some photos and videos (), it seems to me like a satin finish.

Do you think it is easily relicable? (I hope so ...)

Intune

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Just google polyunsaturated relic. You’ll see they look really really odd. If you play it long enough it may start to show signs of where. It just takes a really long time. The polyurethane finish is basically bomb proof which is the whole point. The are made to last and look new forever

=KARMA=

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 24, 2015
Londinium
I got GAS for an Ultra Luxe strat, I love the look of the guitar but I wonder if the body finish on this model will get relicated "quickly".

According to the fender website, the guitar body has Gloss Urethane finish. From what I see in some photos and videos (), it seems to me like a satin finish.

Do you think it is easily relicable? (I hope so ...)

Don’t even think about it! 😉

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
+1

DIY relic jobs most often suck.
Relic jobs on poly are 100% always horrible.

The poly doesn't feather and fade into the wood the same way nitro does.

Della Street

Parasite
Jan 9, 2022
USA
yeah, you can do it.
naturally - no, but unnaturally it can well be done. i've molested a few urethane-finished guitars and they look great in their forcibly-aged state.
but something tells me you won't be "relic-ing" a $2,200 instrument no how. it's just irrational. these kinds of pastimes are better saved for cheaper stock.
good luck with your new ultra-luxury strat.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
Of course, I mean a natural relicate...
Natural relic on a poly finish will be limited to chips and dings... typical "hangar rash"... from impacts.
It really doesn't wear much from contact with your skin.
The neck finish tends to wear through pretty nicely.