Glut of used strats coming

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by alderre, Sep 22, 2017.

1. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster

I can't wait for this alleged used Strat glut. Let the price-crashing begin! I want a couple of early American Standards, and an Ultra, and a John Mayer, and oh wow is it going to be fun to pick through the CS guitars...

2. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris Silver Member

why are you only interested in 2008 and on? they did the major upgrades in 2006. i have a 2007 and its awesome.

3. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster

I hoped on a 629 (no dash) 8 3/8 with extra Pachmyr decelerator grips listed as a 686, and priced accordingly. Set of '83 cocobolo presentation target grips NIB included, shoulder holster, 2 speed loaders with hand loads tailored for that gun for $425.

Heard horror stories about recoil, but the long barrel and weight made it really easy to shoot. Girl I was hanging out with at the time (5'6", 100 pounds soaking wet, size 0-) could shoot it fine.

liltimmy and mechanic like this.
  4. randypttt

randypttt Senior Stratmaster

The op might consider the glut of American Standards coming up caused by the glut of new American Professionals.
    Newer models and older AS's caused by the glut of buyers seeking something "new".

5. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

But, I put forth this question: Isn't Swamp Ash really water-logged tone wood as well??

mechanic and carolinaeasy like this.
  6. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Where's that eye-roll smiley?

7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

Here's one:
    [emoji849]

8. GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL Senior Stratmaster

I had an 8 3/8" pinned & recessed 29 that I got for free. The owner had another local gunsmith do a trigger job and ended up with single-action push-off. He brought it to me to have it repaired, but didn't want to put the money that I estimated into it, so he wrote it off to me.

I was doing warranty work for S&W at the time, and had access to unfitted hammers and triggers, so I fit a new set and sat on that gun for 15 years.

Eventually traded it for a mint Martin D15M.

LongLiveRock54 likes this.
  9. alderre

alderre Strat-O-Master

I may be wrong but I think '08 is when the logo changed for MIMs

Love this
    [​IMG]

Hate this

[​IMG]

fldog and heltershelton like this.
  10. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris Silver Member

yes, you are right about the logo. I have one of each and the newer black logo seems to give them better tone.

11. artgtr

artgtr Artgtr Silver Member

I guess I collected almost everything I always wanted, 3 large gun safes - full can't fit any more, all military type. Got into big belt Feds w/tri-pods, fun but $$$! Harley's - & old Triumphs, my 2nd wife said you can keep them, but riding days are over. So hot rods & lots of guitars.
    So if you don't want lose $ on these items you don't sell them.
    I have my last guitar I told them, if over a short period of time I get tired of my last Strat they would take it back for what I paid on trade in on an a CS Tele, & I did.
    IMG_1620.JPG
    I probly lost track of what this thread is about, I don't buy guitars because I can resell them, or count on the upcoming glut to buy more. I have enough for now. But hey is that a Masterbuilt hangin' there & how much?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  12. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

13. LongLiveRock54

LongLiveRock54 Senior Stratmaster

I'll take your old Triumphs. PM me for my shipping address.....;)

jimyjazz and artgtr like this.
  14. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster

@GunMonkeyINTL Mine was a transitional model, not pinned but recessed. TT, TH, RR, WO, already had a trigger job (or was really great from factory, even for a revolver it was pretty smooth pull and broke like glass). Never measured the pull weight but it couldn't have been over 2 1/2 - 3 pounds.

15. GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL Senior Stratmaster

SA S&W trigger pulls are great from the factory. All the reason you need to leave them alone. If you're going to work any part of it, you keep the polishing to the trigger, and leave the hammer alone. That glass break is a function of the precise and short engagement on the sear of the hammer. A couple strokes with a ceramic stone can turn an engaged hammer into one that pushes off.

Hold on to that revolver. It's only going to go up in value. I sometimes regret trading mine, but then I rememind myself that I have an American Martin, and didn't have to pay out American Martin money.

16. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

As an owner of one of the earliest American Standards, I can say mine is the best playing strat I have owned so far (I’ve owned over 20 from MIM through EJ, EC, and AVRIs). I just need to find an early maple neck American standard and I’ll be set for life. Or until all those baby boomers die off and I’m in my 50s buying Pre-CBS era strata for cheap.

17. artgtr

artgtr Artgtr Silver Member

I think the glut would start - when Fender figures out how to produce better guitars, than what they have already made. At some point - I think they will figure out how to reproduce all those fantastic traits & sounds & mojo. What do you think would happen if someone figured it out, produce all the mojo that a Pre-cbs Strat has & sell it for the price of a mim? Wow, or make vintage new guitars out of old growth wood, that's already been done, I believe.

18. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster

No can do. I had to sell my entire collection for certain reasons...

19. alderre

alderre Strat-O-Master

The psychological effects of poor logos may not be the same on everyone. It's important to me. Just like color. Or headstock size.

20. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Senior Stratmaster

The prices of MIMs, anyways do cycle. I don't know why. I guess the reasonably priced ones go and the dreamers thinking they can get $700 for a stock MIM with swapped pickups or bad relic jobs just hang around. Then people who actually want to sell their guitars put them up for reasonable prices and others who decide they need to sell now undercut them and for a bit there are bargains. I once bought an awesome 06 MIM with a full EMG loaded pickguard (and I should have kept it) along with the stock loaded pickguard, a brand new uninstalled pickguard, a soft case and a hard case for the low end of just a MIM guitar. The guy had listed it at nearly double that amount and had flakers and people who never showed up and just gave up and listed it cheap. I called and drove there immediately.

Overall, though, the average price follows new prices up. 5 years ago, I would send $200 offers to every $350 MIM listed and was successful 50% of the time. Now, the going rate (near me) is $300 and guys are listing them for $500.