Goin in for surgery on election day

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Bangbang, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Bangbang

Bangbang Senior Stratmaster

On election day I do in to have the my left ankle scoped and get the joint "cleaned" out. I hope that this reduces my pain.

2. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Stratmaster

it's rough getting old, ain't it ?:D how long has your ankle been bothering you ? did you injure it somewhere along the way ? or is it arthritis ? a motorcycle wreck 26 years ago, left me with just one. the other one is mechinical.:D I hope everything goes well for you.

3. imwjl

imwjl Strat-Talker

Good luck, and remember to vote ahead of time. I hope it works out and fixes the problem, and hope the recovery is speedy!

4. Bangbang

I have had several surgeies on the ankle and my lower leg sometimes it helps sometimes it does not....this will be the 4th attempt on my ankle. This is a result of being run over by a car in 1972. I almost lost my leg just under the knee. I am lucky I did not get killed. The car was a small one and I was thrown about about 50 feet. It was almost 2 years before I could walk without assistance. I wish I had taken up the axe then. It healed up after I had two surgeries 6 months apart. Had bgone grafted from my hip. I wa actually able to resume my favorite hobby......kick boxing and earned a blackbelt in karate. However arthritris set in at 42 and took me out of the sport. I really miss it. I gained 100 pounds. Ughhhhhh Do you have phantom pain? I am an exrider of a 1970 Triumph. I almost bought a Harley a few months ago but my wife started crying so hard I changed my mind. I get "bike fever" every spring.......funny thing was two weeks later I passed out from choking on a cough drop and hit a telephone pole. I was fine but I totaled my car. Bike fever left me after that.

5. S. Rock

yep, I can still feel my toes. I think that that is something that never goes away. it has something to do with the nerves. in a way, it kinda helps me to walk. I just take a step and walk. most people can't even tell. I almost bought a '76 Triumph when I bought my first motorcycle. but the shop was too far away. so, I bought a '76 750-4 Honda. in '78, I bought a GL 1000 Honda Gold Wing. I rode it all the way from north Louisiana to Chico, California and back. that's the one I was on when a 15 year old made a left turn into me. yeah, if one nurse hadn't came into the room to check on me, I wouldn't be here right now. yep, every once in a while I think about riding, but I couldn't afford it now anyway. plus, I'd have a hard time trusting the drivers up here. it's dangerous enough in a car or pickup truck.
    where are you located in Michigan ? my wife is from the U.P.. so, you haven't been playing that long ? in '72, I was in Germany playing my new Framus accoustic outside the barracks. ;o))

6. Bangbang

I live in Walled Lake Michigan but used to ride downtown Detroit.Lots of fun. I almost moved to Baraga Michigan in my early twenties but my wife refused to go. I love it up there. I should have gone anyway.LOL I just started playing electric just over a year ago so I am still makin noise.Ughhh! :mad:I keep at it though. My 57 year old brain changes the learning curve.

7. S. Rock

well, I'll be 57 in December, so I guess I'll never play the fiddle.:D I'll ask my wife if she's heard of those towns. I've only been to Marquette twice. we met when she was living in Vermont and I was in Baton Rouge.

8. synchro

synchro Strat-Talk Member

I'll be interested in hearing how this goes for you. I have a bone spur on the front of my left ankle that I'm thinking of having removed.

9. 56Chevy

56Chevy New Member!

With some of the stunts we all pulled as kids, it's a miracle we are not all dead. LOL

10. Bangbang

Bone spurs are a piece of cake. Just do it:!:

11. Bangbang

No Crap:!:

12. S. Rock

yep, I had a motorcycle go out from under me one night at 80 mph. it started a high speed wabble with the front tire and then the back wheel started dancing. that's when I came to the conclusion, "I'm gonna lose it".:D

oh, I wasn't wearing a helment either. in '78, in Louisiana, we didn't have to wear a helment. after that, I did.;)

13. synchro

I had a spur removed from my left shoulder 18 months ago and it was barely an inconvenience. A pleasant nap of about 30 minutes and by the end of the day I barely even felt any pain.

14. JimiBryant

JimiBryant New Member!

any sort of leg/ankle/foot pain is just no danged good.

best of luck on the surgery, hope you get a chance to
    vote before ya go in!! ;)

15. Bangbang

I already voted.

16. synchro

So how'd it go. Are you dancing the Boogaloo yet? :)

17. Bangbang

I had a bout 24 hours of pure pain till my doc boosted up the pain meds. I am doing the Crutch Strut.

18. synchro

Was it basically just a debris cleanup, a bone-spur removal or was anything else involved? (If you don't mind my asking.)

19. Bangbang

Yep.......a debri cleanup.....this is the 4th in 10 years now. I am walking on it without crutches today. Put in about 10 hours of practice(noise):rolleyes: in 2 days now. Its been bone on bone now for about 12 years. I also get cortisone injections for pain.

20. synchro

This gives me an idea of what to expect when I get mine done. I was hoping to have surgery on Friday and be back to work by Monday and it sounds feasible based upon your experiences. I've had my right knee scoped four times and it's not really a big deal anymore.