Going nuts on the LP Trad

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Stratoman10, May 27, 2021.

1. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Just picked up my LP and had a nice little string buzz on the D string. Took a look and they all look pretty low in the slots. it's a 2016 so I guess it's due. Now for the big decision. TUSQ, bone, graphite or some other miracle material. The only thing that bothers me is that i just had it in the shop maybe 2 months ago for it's yearly going over and that never got mentioned. My vision, especially close up is pretty iffy. So if I can see it I'd think they could too

3bolt79, Bowmap, Nate D and 2 others like this.
  2. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather Silver Member

I've never had one, but I've always been interested in the TUSQ nuts...

Nate D, ZlurkCorzDog and Stratoman10 like this.
  3. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

Bone. Traditional, hard, yet easy to shape.

Took me three blanks to make a nice one. A nice skill to learn. The proper slot cutting files are expensive.

What I used:

Worth every penny. The widest range of widths and increments of all the quality sets I looked at.

https://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/luthier-tools/files/guitar-nut-file-set-10-files/

Proper slot spacing is deceivingly complex. With a mechanical pencil, this makes it easy.

https://www.philadelphialuthiertool...acing-rule-nut-and-bridge-string-layout-tool/

Nate D, ZlurkCorzDog and abnormaltoy like this.
  4. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7

Did the dude have glasses like this? :whistling:

proxy-image (35).gif

5. Roca81

Roca81 Strat-Talker

I have a Tusq on my Schecter and I really like it.

6. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

Nylon

Nate D likes this.
  7. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

Having made one decent nut, much of it is by feel. Slots too high? It does not feel "right" and makes a sharp note.

Too low creates buzz. The simple bits.

The rule I went buy was wound strings should sit halfway down in the slots. Plain strings can nestle in the slots completely. Accomplishing that is harder than it sounds. It is all about getting the radius and overall nut height correct.

I think the theory is wound strings grind into the nut slot during repetitive tunings more than plain strings. Wound are rasp-like.

I intentionally left the overall nut height slightly high. This gave me two ways of landing in a happy place. After several months, I still have tiny bits of potential adjustments available.

Make your own nut and see for yourself.

Esg877 and ZlurkCorzDog like this.
  8. Esg877

Esg877 Strat-Talker

That's a pretty tricky thing to do. Unless the OP really wants to learn new skills in lutherie and buy some quite expensive files (that are also not very durable IMHO), I'd avoid that. Probably going to get less than optimal results, even on his 2nd or 3rd go. With so many cheap, quality pre-cut nuts in the market, I'd say too much trouble. But congrats to you for getting it right! :thumb: Nice skill to have if you're a builder.

About the OP question, I've been hearing great things about unicorn horn nuts. My daughter swears they are magical. :D

Really, if the nut is hard enough, I feel any material is good, and honestly I haven't experienced much difference between some good ABS plastic and bone. Never had Tusq. The slot cuts DO MAKE a huge difference. If you can get a properly pre-cut, with all slots right and radius'ed (if that's a word), then adjusting nut height is as simple as placing a tough grit sandpaper on the table, and sanding the base of the nut off little by little until it seats at the right height. Just place the nut on the sandpaper just like it would be in the guitar (base down), and move the nut back and forth to remove material at the base. Alas, lower slots, but no need to fiddle with the slots. My 2 cents.

ZlurkCorzDog and StratoMutt like this.
  9. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

As long as the slots are cut properly I don't think the material of the nut makes much difference unless one plays a lot of open strings.
    I certainly don't hear a difference on fretted notes.

10. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

11. TepidPilot

TepidPilot Strat-O-Master

12. RL21980

RL21980 Strat-O-Master

I had a Tusq put on my LP Tradtional (also a 2016) last year at the suggestion of my local luthier. I really like it. To me (and it may be completely in my own mind) it brightened the guitar up a bit. Which for a LP is a huge plus.

13. Stratoman10

Turned out it just needed a twist on the truss rod. Tech told me he's seen quite a few lately. It started getting hot here in the last week or so

14. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

Fwiw, I think I like graphite nuts. Since we put graphite in nut slots it makes sense to me to just make the nut out of graphite.

I had a cheapo les paul with a graphite nut and it had great tuning stability.

My gibson, with nylon nut is pretty good but I think the AL 2000 was just as stable if not better.

Stratoman10 and Nate D like this.
  15. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

i am in the build the slot up with dust and superglue and re-cut the slot camp.

but if your tech is a guru i would have him use a non slotted graphtech and slightly file the slots towards the tuners for less gibson string pinch angle.

16. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

I like bone. But it’s pretty much only because I like the way it looks.

Tons of great options out there. Graphite is great and nylon is close to what the old Gibsons had if I remember correctly.

Keep us posted.

17. Stratoman10

If it turned out I did need a new nut graphite would probably have been my choice. Just for the reason you brought up

3bolt79 likes this.
  18. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Platinum Supporting Member

Glad it was just a rod adjustment. I have properly a half dozen black tusq nut for strats in my parts bin. Funny the only guitar I installed one on so far was my Telestrat SG. I don't have nut problems at the moment.

Stratoman10 likes this.
  19. Esg877

Esg877 Strat-Talker

Believer7713 likes this.
  20. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

You might be able to get it to stop by adding a little more relief in the neck. The relief may have changed in the couple of months.

Esg877 likes this.