Join Strat-Talk Today

Going to first blues jam tomorrow (won't be playing)

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Cerb, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

Two weeks ago my girlfriend, the only one of us who has a FB-account, saw a local ad on there told me that there's a bassist in our little suburb looking to start a band. I told her to tell him that I was interested. We got in touch and texted some and we may actually get something going.

Anyway, he invited me to tag along for a blues jam at a local bar tomorrow, the singer from his current band is coming also. I won't be playing but am very excited to see what's going on and how it works. There will be 5 more jams after this one until the summer and I'm hoping to work up to actually join in.

I haven't been on a stage with guitar in hand since high school 21 years ago, just before I stopped playing for 16 years and already feel jitters just thinking about it.

Very much hooing for the band thing to happen too, while at the same time being afraid of not living up to expectations. Mixed feelings :D

2. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

Take your guitar....just in case. :cool:

3. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

Good or bad...be you
    Aint that why you picked that thing up to begin with.
    Good luck

4. Cerb

That would seem like an excellent way of ruining the little confidence I've built over the past couple of years :D

5. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Have fun at the jam. I love to watch the local open-mic blues jams. At the last one I attended, a guy with a flute and a guy with a violin wanted to get their chance on stage, so they were put up there together, just the two of them. They made some of the most fun to listen to music of the evening.

6. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Dude you'll be fine. It's a jam after all. It's much different if there patrons paying a cover to get in but a jam or open mic night is way less pressure. I'll bet too that if you get up there after the first half of the first song you'll be enjoying yourself too much to even remember you were worried. Also if it's anything like 99% of the blues jams I have attained there will be at least 2-4 other guitarist playing too and you can always sit back in the mix and follow along.

7. Cerb

Cool! I'm very impressed by muscians who can just get to gether and jam. What did they play?

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  8. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I hope it works out!
    Have fun!

Groovey and Cerb like this.
  9. l88vette

l88vette Strat-Talker

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the support you will get from the other people there. I don't know how they are run in Sweden but here a house band plays a few songs and then people sign up to play. While you sometimes get a few showoff's most everyone is encouraging and the songs are kind of agreed upon by the people on stage. Because of various skill levels most songs are not too difficult. Expect the 1,4,5 songs and some of the standards. Take your guitar and see how it is going. If it feels like a good group of people be honest and let them know you haven't played for awhile and they will make it fun. Now get up there and give em a little Sweet Home Chicago!

10. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

Have fun. And Kip it simple. It’s blues jam, I, IV, V. And maybe a vi. Just follow, you don’t need to lead on the first night back at it. I find with the right lubrication, usually 3 or 4 IPA’s is all that’s needed ;)

11. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

Cool, someday I can say I knew him when he was just a little can of fish.

s5tuart, Groovey, Mansonienne and 2 others like this.
  12. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

It was a slow Ian Anderson flute kind of relaxed instrumental blues thing. :) I didn't recognize a particular song I'd heard before. Later I saw the violin player and told him they were the most interesting guys to listen to of the evening.

My favorite guitar playing has been when a couple guys and I pick a simple chord progression and just take turns doing rhythm and lead with it, so I could relate to the loose format of the pair's set.

Cerb likes this.
  13. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Strat-O-Master

I have a very similar story. Played in bands in my teens and 20's. Quit playing for 30 years or so. Started playing again. After a year of getting back into it I play in an open bar jam every week. Been doing it for six years now. Started playing solo open mic's a few years ago as well. Just do it! You won't regret it.

14. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Just a word of encouragement from me. Go for it. Life's to short, and if you wait until you're perfect, you'll never do it.

As a side note, your future band mates may be checking out your confidence more than your abilities.
    Be confident, and smile. If you play a wrong note, smile wider. I'm not kidding. Wearing a legitimate smile (not a fake joker smile) is one of the best things you can do.

I would definitely bring my guitar. 100%.
    If you don't get a chance to play, well, at least you were willing to.
    If you do get a chance to play, go do it.
    Nobody is going to heckle you if you mess up.
    You won't be injured in any way, if you mess up.
    Same is true in reverse, you won't be offered a record contract, and you won't be fighting off the paparazzi if you play great.

It's just a local jam. Have fun. That's what it's there for.

15. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Same here - stopped playing for 15 years and just started jamming at the local pub a couple of times a week (about 9 months ago). Considering I am no novice, I was still petrified. After a few jams I relaxed and it's been an absolute joy. I use it as an excuse to practice and learn new songs at home then take them out to play.

16. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

As it should be.

JurnyWannaBe and Cerb like this.
  17. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Just play Johnny B Goode and you'll be fine.

18. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

Enjoy it. It is all about having fun. And Happy Birthday btw.

19. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

The Nudist retreat is no fun if you keep your clothes on. Get up there and bare yourself.

s5tuart, jimyjazz, dueducs and 4 others like this.
  20. Cerb

One more year until... Thirty-ten?

Groovey and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.