Good article on Guitar Centre and what might happen next.

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by MetalPedal, Jun 6, 2018.

1. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster

2. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster

Sorry, I can't link the non-FlipBoard version. Can someone else try to link directly to the article?

abnormaltoy likes this.
  3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

LInk worked for me.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I get the article fine from your link.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  5. PastorDATM

PastorDATM Strat-Talker

Yes, nice article about Guitar Center. Thanks for the heads-up. I would also like to see them succeed. They are my closest music store with a large selection. Cheers! Dave

abnormaltoy likes this.
  6. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Blooze daddy Silver Member

wow! something nice being said about GC. Who woulda thunk.

abnormaltoy and Bob the builder like this.
  7. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member

I for one am a fan of brick n mortars. I’m that way even with clothes. I enjoy the convenience of online shopping for some things, but certain things like jeans or guitars.......well you gotta “try em on” to see how they fit. I hate having to return ship stuff. I’d rather KNOW I’m buying the right thing the first time. I am a believer that there is room and reasons for both web-based AND real life purchasing.

8. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Me too. I know if I don't use my local guitar shop, it wont be there when I need it. There are those of course, that try there, then buy online...

abnormaltoy and circles like this.
  9. ChukkerNation

ChukkerNation Senior Stratmaster

I know they get a lot of flack but I’ve always had good experiences at GC. I hope they pull it out too.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  10. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster

I’ve knocked on GC for years, with good cause. But I have to say that my local suburban GC is a better store than it was 18 months ago — more (and more clueful) staff, improving selection, and some little changes to the layout that make it more inviting. Small sample size, but they do seem to be going in the right direction.

abnormaltoy and MetalPedal like this.
  11. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

Interesting article and it makes clear, once again, that the excessive debt from the Bain LBO has almost ruined the company. They can turn it around, maybe, even with that debt dragging them down.

As for in-store buying. I'm willing to buy inexpensive guitars online but if I'm spending over about $350, I want to try it out first.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  12. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

The GC near me in Avondale is a great store. The guys that work there are very dedicated to the success of the store and very knowledgeable.

I ordered a couple of used items a few weeks back and had them delivered to the store (as I always do) for pickup. I like to do this just in case the item isn't as described on the web site....

I ended up keeping one item, a nice acoustic guitar and returned the other item (an amp) fully expecting that they would reimburse me for the entire charge minus the shipping cost, which was $30. Nope, they gave me a 100% refund....like I said, makes me want to go back....

Another vote for hope that they make it....

abnormaltoy, MetalPedal and gwjensen like this.
  13. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster

I too have been patronizing a Guitar Center in my vicinity and have been very happy with the service, sales staff, and (within reason) the selection. One cool thing is that I can order something from them online, and if there is a problem, resolve it at the store rather than return ship it. It’s the best of both worlds.

14. Strums

Strums Strat-O-Master

I really hope they make it. They have a nice mix of online and store front business. If they go under we all lose.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  15. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind

leveraged buyouts are the Bain of any company's long term existence

I do hope they can turn it around

16. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

Guitar Center is lot like Gibson in the fact that they are attached to other companies whose results and choices affect them whether they like it or not.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  17. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

Just shuffling the deck chairs here.

When I lived in Westlake Village I went down to their Corporate center store. It was a total joke.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    abnormaltoy likes this.
  18. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

i doubt all guitar centers are like is, but i had to go to tyler, tx the other day to see my lawyer and i decided to stop in the gc. all the people who worked there just kind of looked at me with sour faces as if to say, "hmmmphf".
    they didnt have a very good selection of strats or teles either.
    they did have the exact cab i needed for my jcm900 for cheap but it was beat up really bad......looked like hendrix had his way with it.

johnnymg and abnormaltoy like this.
  19. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

Here's what I want from GC:

Replace the "Glory Room" (that I never see used) with a space you can wheel an amp [or two] of your choice in, and try it out at a range of volumes, to really test it out, and not annoy those around you. As much. Be set up to do that! Have a trolly handy, the walkways are pretty open anyway, wheeling stuff around is easy.

In the room already have one [or two] best selling lunch box amp, bedroom amp, practice amp, big amp, to compare to already. If it's busy, have a sign up sheet. If it's really busy, build out another. Right now it's almost impossible to side by side amps, or at least enough of a pain it's never done.

The way merch is displayed (or even selected) seems pretty much random. And for being THE guitar store repping, say, Fender, they should stock at least one example of each type of guitar they make. They don't have to stock everything, just a good cross section. It's not terrible now, but should be expanded. Same with an amp lines. They have the room!

Lastly, and one that will never happen, have all the guitars at grab level.

Oh and free beer.

That's about it. Not much really I think.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    abnormaltoy, Namelyguitar and Grux like this.
  20. mscjr

mscjr Strat-Talk Member

I like GC - there's usually an upbeat, positive vibe to the place whenever I visit. I go in, play whatever I want, grab a pedal or some strings (sometimes a guitar). This is in contrast to other more local offerings - where I'm made to feel guilty about not buying anything... having to hear sob stories from the owners about online retailers w/ 0% financing while I peruse their new (but worn like used) inventory.

I know GC gets a fair amount of hate, but I try to visit one every time I'm in a city that has one (or two). I'd like to see them do well, I enjoy shopping there.

abnormaltoy likes this.