Good deal Day

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by Strategist, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Strategist

Strategist Strat-Talker

So I stopped into my local music store, a small m&p one, and see this Martin 00-18 hangin'. Get a quick blood rush and as he takes it down I see the Sigma decal & MIK. but the Sitka top looks nice and it only has a couple marks, nothing bad. So I barr the 7th and even with bad set of strings it rings forever. So I go check out the net to find everything out about it and think I'll take my chances @ $70 [the going rate]. Take it home and do a fret level job and a slight neck relief and add some Thomastik Plectrums and it's amazing. Works best with a pick but the aged Sitka makes it ring all across the range. Doesn't have the thump on the lows like other 18s I've had and has great action. Mahogany & Sitka in a small box, sweet geetar.

Oh, and a new Martin 00-18V is $2400!!

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      12.3 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      21.4 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      17 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      24.6 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      3 KB
      Views:
  2. StratDen

StratDen Senior Stratmaster

Sigma was the affordable division of Martin for a few years using similar specs and woods with assembly in Korea. Congrats on your find!

3. Strategist

Strategist Strat-Talker

Found that it's got solid Mahogany bac & sides as compaired to plywood veneer and has all the apointments a regular one would have, less bracing on the inside. Albeit plastic nut, compensated saddle, pins & cheaper tuners, it has mahogany neck, rosewood board & bridge and a very nice aged sitka top. I've decided it's possably a '96 and since it wasn't used much that tuners are tight and the intonation is spot-on.
    I'm like a kid with a new bike...lol

4. Laylas Daddy

Laylas Daddy Banned

Great Find!!!

5. Strategist

Strategist Strat-Talker

More research revels that the mahogany & sitka are a 3 ply-wood, probably pine center ply, which accounts for better tones across the range. Top is only .230" thick so theres still a lot of M&S wood in the construction. Also they stopped making in Korea in '91 so it's older than I thought.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011