Good home bass amp recommendations?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Boneman68, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Boneman68

Boneman68 Strat-Talker Platinum Supporting Member

I have an old Crate BFX15 DSP amp and recently busted out my bass and man what a disappointment. I think the tone and effects options offered are pretty lousy, seems best tone I get is when I put it in Hall mode. Anyway, originally got it while living in a small apartment, now I have a house in the mountains and can get loud! I feel like the modeling amp and the fact it’s only 15 amps with a small 8 inch speaker is likely it’s downfall. Good for hearing something out of it, but not much else. Thinking it’s time I upgraded that. Curious for some recommendations that won’t break the bank, produce good punch for my Epiphone Rumblekat, and that will sustain me for the next 10 years. I won’t need to take it on stage either so I don’t think I need a 500 watt amp, lol, but then again maybe I do?

2. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Senior Stratmaster

Do you already have a Guitar amp?

3. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

I have a Markbass nano with their 210 cab and love it. Found it used on Craigslist for a fair price.

4. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

I have a little Fender Rumble 25. It’s for home use since I don’t play bass out for anybody. But it does sound good… real good. It has effects and presets so you have a lot of great sounds built in it you can edit and store your own. It’s not too expensive at $221 or there abouts.

EE0D6529-F6D3-4266-861B-B75AEB3C93FB.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    Handsome McClane and Kimex like this.
  5. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Rumble 40's sell like hotcakes down here.

bbarott and Kimex like this.
  6. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

Nobody needs 500 watts, unless they play with a drummer and guitars. Even a 140w bass amp (which is inadequate to match some drummers) will be enough to generate noise complaints. Not just in apartments, either.

The conventional (old) wisdom is that you want 4-5 times the wattage of the guitar. And 10s are punchy, while a 15 can produce a deep and full low end.

I used to run a 280w rig with a 15 and two 10s. It was adequate, there was no reason to mic up the bass unless we were also going to mic up the drums. Any show big enough to mic the drums has sound reinforcement. So there's no situation where you actually need more than 300w.

Unless you get a big Ampeg, 300w needs to be solid state. Some of the new bass heads pack gig- level wattage into a 5-8lb box, and solid state sounds fine turned up or down. If I was gigging bass, that's what I would be shopping for.

7. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I have a Rumble 100. It is excellent. Plenty loud enough, some built-in effects and XLR. It is also quite light, given it has a 12-inch speaker.

Electgumbo likes this.
  8. dublindave8456

dublindave8456 Senior Stratmaster

very nice bass !!!

Electgumbo likes this.
  9. Kimex

Kimex Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

I Have Fender Rumble 40. 1x 10 " speaker. Weight, 18 ibs, - 8,16 kg. I like its sound.
    I dont think you can use it live. It have overdrive, but i prefer to boost with a pedal, if I want it loud.

Electgumbo likes this.
  10. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

11. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-O-Master Platinum Supporting Member

Check out the Peavey Max Bass series. Great value for the money and full featured. I have the 150W 12" and I love it.

12. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Blooze daddy Silver Member

I have an Ampeg BA-115 in the music room. Way more than adequate when we jam

13. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Senior Stratmaster

I'll second the Fender Rumble. I have a newer version Rumble 40. Only weighs 18 lbs and it's loud enough to jam with a moderate drummer. Sounds great, relatively cheap.

14. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Senior Stratmaster

I have a Traynor SB110 I picked up used. It is quite amazing. It puts out a lot of sound and has surprisingly deep lows for single 10" speaker. I haven't tried it live yet but I did jam with a couple of buddies. It was more than loud enough. It has an XLR out so it should be OK live as a stage monitor while hooked up to the PA.

15. Straticus

Straticus Strat-Talker

I haven’t purchased it yet, but I am 99% sure it’s going to be the Blackstar U250 Unity Bass Combo Amp. Plan is to pair it with a G&L Tribute 2000. The time I got to play with those two little gems, I was able to create every bass sound under the sun.

16. soulman969

soulman969 Most Honored Senior Member

500w would be massive overkill for a bass amp that's only used at home.

Wattage alone won't always tell the whole story so I would typically suggest a buyer actually try several to find one that's satisfactory for the bass or basses they play. For instance. A 5 string bass will require more power and a speaker/cab capable of adequately handling the extended low end than a 4 string bass.

In general most 100w 1x12 combos will be more than adequate for home play with both five and four string basses. Some companies like Ampeg offer 60w-75w 1x12 combos that are also good choices. The 100w 1x12 Fender Rumble also works well. Others like GK and Hartke also offer very good smaller bass combo amps.

At one time or another I've either owned or played through all of them even gigging with them when I had a FOH PA to do the heavy lifting. It depends on how much you want to spend but any of these should go for under $500 new and 50%-60% of that used. My best advice is don't go too small or too cheap or you may be dissatisfied.

17. dublindave8456

dublindave8456 Senior Stratmaster

If you are going to have a Jazz bass.....

you make sure it's a good un.....

that's a beauty.....

Electgumbo likes this.
  18. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

Our bass player has a little Markbass that he uses for practice and even very small venues. Not sure what model it is, but it is about the size of a Pro Jr and sounds great.

19. pazman6

pazman6 Senior Stratmaster

I have a Peavey TNT (15") that a guy from work gave me for free (I think it is 200W). Slaved a Hartke 4x10 off it in parallel and it works for everything from sitting in the room jamming to live full volume metal band rehearsals - also nice because it raises the TNT to a level that is easy to make adjustments. Heavy as hell though, so it doesn't leave the rehearsal room. You can find them on craigslist for cheap occasionally. I got it in 2003 and it is still rocking hard as ever. The bass combo is between the PA cabinets.

20180630_180534.jpg

20. Mikeylefty

Mikeylefty Be Kind Silver Member

If space is a consideration, this is what I have for my home studio. The 200w head about the size of a paperback book, hook it up to a speaker box you already have, or get the TC Electronics cabinet with 2 8" speakers. The head use to be a little over a 100 at Sweetwater but it's gone up. I didn't have room for another big square box and I can stow this away when not needed.

[​IMG]

Electgumbo likes this.