Good instructional videos?

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by rocks, Jan 2, 2009.

1. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

I've watched a few really good guitar instruction DVD's and was curious which other ones were worthy of checking out. I've seen a couple by Warren Haynes, great stuff. I've also checked out the Fretboard Roadmaps DVD, pretty decent but would be better if I had the book too. I've seen a few Hendrix ones, I forget who was doing the teaching but I wasn't impressed.

2. dennyn23

dennyn23 Strat-Talker

If I were you I would start off at Free guitar lessons - justinguitar.com. That site is priceless, and free! Its got stuff ranging from beginner all the way to master classes and is taught all by way of youtube video links from the site. Covers the Blues, Rock, Metal, Jazz, etc. Great site and one which I regularly visit. Great resource no matter the level of playing. Also, Fretboard Logic is one of my favorite books.

3. imwjl

imwjl Strat-Talker

I picked up the Eric Johnson DVD for $12 at used book store and it's worth it at that price. I order instructional DVDs from our library system. My local library has a few and there are easily 12 or so in the on-line catalog. I'm not sure all places have as good a library system as we have.

Not DVD, but I am about 2 months into a subscription to Truefire TV and like it. You can only get the video web-based or with a disk purchase, but you get the collateral material for the videos. Similar but different are the freeguitarvideos.com folks lessons where you get a video, jam track and .pdf files of the lessons. The two product likes have helped me a lot.

4. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Senior Stratmaster

Anything associated with The Guitar Grimoir is very in depth. Not a "here's the quick way to cheat to sound like...", genuine theory and instruction. Their "excercizes" book still has me cramping 20 minutes into practice.

5. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

Looks like some more good stuff to check out. I've also got the house of blues blues guitar 1 & 2, both pretty decent and I've picked up some good riffs from them both.

6. dennyn23

dennyn23 Strat-Talker

If you're into blues, I would highly recommend the Blues section on Justin Guitar. Also, Search for slowhand blues guitar in google and you should find a site dedicated to Eric Clapton. It has all kinds of tab and instructional videos online and for free. I get all kinds of good stuff from these sites. Also, I can't stress enough youtube. Its free and you can get all kinds of good ideas for licks and tricks from experienced players. I usually type in "blues guitar licks" or "blues guitar lesson" and it comes up with all kinds of stuff. Great way to expand the lick arsenal.

7. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

Cool, I have a youtube downloader so I download all the good videos and sort them by topic. It makes it nice to be able to pull up the videos even when I'm not online. I'm already to the point that I'm going to have to grab another external hard drive to store more.

8. patl

patl Strat-O-Master

I recommend *not* using any of the "In The Style Of" video series. I haven't seen one yet that was helpful beyond just showing a few licks.

9. patl

patl Strat-O-Master

I have the HOB videos also. Part 1 is really basic, but there's good stuff there. Part 2's more challenging for my current skill level.

10. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

yes I know, the Hendrix one sucked and the guy teaching it appeared to be a moron. I have the HOB 1&2 and I liked them both. Coming from a background of mainly playing bass most of my life the first one was a good start even though I know most of it. The second I'm also enjoying, I go back and forth between that and the Warren Haynes DVD's. I've gone through Warrens slide DVD a couple times, but I can't get mine to sound anything like his does, I must have a defective slide ;)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  11. Diamond Jim

Diamond Jim Strat-O-Master

I've got a couple of those Curt Mitchell videos, which I mainly just watch for kicks these days. Sometimes I'll rent vids from netflix. They have a decent selection, but without the booklets and such that originally come with the vids I don't get much out of them.

Jim

12. Monkeyfied

Monkeyfied Strat-Talker

13. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Strat-Talk Member

i highly recommend the ronnie earl dvd for blues.

14. gcconspiracy

gcconspiracy Strat-O-Master

Andy Aledort (sp?) does DVD's for Guitar World... they are actually quite decent, and although they are not amazing, they do come with full tab books (except the hendrix ones!!!), and they only cost about 10 bucks each I think. You have to find them on the magazine rack though.

15. legendarytoby

legendarytoby Strat-Talk Member

You can buy the guitarworld dvds on there website if you didnt get them when they came out. I got Begining Hard Rock and Heavy Metal I really like that one.

16. legendarytoby

legendarytoby Strat-Talk Member

I recommend any thing by rockhouse though cause you buy a dvd and you get access into their online community which is quite good. They also put picture in picture on the lessons so you can see the left hand and a close up of the right hand. You also get downloadable backing tracks and tabs and stuff. I got the Alexi Laiho (Children Of Bodom) and while thats kind of advanced for me right now (got it for christmas) still motivates me and I pick up things here and there

17. Bruster

Bruster Strat-O-Master

I tend to agree, to some extent, but I'd recommend you have a look at this site:- Blues Guitar Lessons - Texas Style While Anthony uses SRV throughout the series, there are some valuable tools, that you can get just from his free lessons. You can even get his pod casts through iTunes. It's a specific style, of course, But I found it helpful when figuring out numerous rock and blues tracks.

18. patl

patl Strat-O-Master

Oh yeah, I love the steviesnacks site, and started another thread on the topic.

19. bobthecanadian

bobthecanadian Strat-O-Master

Instructional videos?

I like the Doug Seven DVDs. I have gone through the four that I have, but what I have been through is very good... if you like modern country guitar that is.

Ronnie Earl's Blues Guitar With Soul is also another very good DVD.

There are two by Danny Gatton that will keep you going for a couple of years.

I saw one from Warren Haynes that was pretty good as well.

John Pattruci's Rock Discipline.

Eric Johnson

etc...

Actually, there are a lot of good instructional videos out there.

These are just a few that I liked.

20. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

I have the Warren Haynes and the Danny Gatton, both are excellent. You are right, The Danny Gatton one is incredible and will keep me busy for a long time.