Good Les Paul Copies

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by jgfust, Oct 26, 2014.

1. jgfust

jgfust Strat-Talk Member

I've been really wanting a les paul but don't have money to spend on a gibson. I was wondering if anybody could recommend any good les paul copies besides epiphone that they like. I've been looking into the chinese made Tokai love rocks but can't find anything about how good they really are or if they're consistent in quality. Can anybody give me advice on copies they've enjoyed?

2. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

Agile makes a pretty good copy IMO. I've owned a few and thought quite highly of them.

3. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member

I had a VINTAGE V100 for a time that I REALLY loved! Super cool guitar that looked, felt, sounded, and played great. Check em out.

4. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man

I have an Epiphone traditional pro LP with the probuckers coil tapping, and and it sounds amazing out of the box. Just had to do minor adjustments as most all guitars do. It has better sound than some Gibson LP's I have had. I wouldn't throw Epiphone out of the mix. If you look around I am sure you can find one under the 499 asking price. That's just my opinion.

5. go49ners

go49ners Senior Stratmaster

6. mw13068

mw13068 Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

I have a Jay Turser goldtop that's an excellent player.

I'm selling it actually, as I'm looking for a Semi-hollow. I have it up on my local CL for $240.

I put some GFS "Dream 90" P-90's in it. Here's a video I made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJazq4VM_aE

[​IMG]

7. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

I just got an Agile AL 2000 For 225.

Ive gigged with it. Its my new number one.

8. Camlobell

Camlobell Strat-Talk Member

Agile - Rondo Music

9. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man

Jgfust, I don't know what price range you are looking for. I can tell you this there are a lot of LP copies out there and it can be confusing as hell. I spent close to a year looking for a "step up" LP to take the place of the two I had. It can all come down to you as the individual as to what you want in feel, sound and reliability. Do a lot of research and play as many as you can before you buy. Relying on what someone else says about a guitar may not be satisfying to your ear or taste.

10. James

James Strat-Talker

Set-necks can be squirrelly.......and your stuck with it.

Play the guitar before u buy it.

11. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    IBANEZ ART models are nice and can be had super cheap. Same for the Dean RVO line.

12. tbp0701

tbp0701 Strat-Talker

Have a budget in mind, as I have a few thoughts.
    - I tried a used PRS Singlecut SE a couple weeks ago, priced at $300 at a Sam Ash. I keep thinking I should go see if it's still there. I thought it was much better than the lower end Gibson Les Pauls on sale for not much more.
    - If you're able to budget in the $700-$1K range, there are used US Hamers. I have a '95 Artist Studio. It's not an LP, but it's a great guitar (and was on the bottom end of that range).
    - If looking over $1K to about $1,400, I've seen quite a few nice looking used Heritage H150s in that range.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  13. BadBrad

BadBrad Strat-O-Master

What's your price range?

In the $500 range, the Epiphone Tribute Plus is a nice LP for the money. Made in China.

In the $800 range, the Prestige Heritage seems to get rave reviews, and they are beautiful looking guitars. Made in Korea using Canadian wood.

In the $2000 range, I like the Gibson Les Paul Traditional. In 2013 they started making them without weight relief, so I think I'd personally want a 2013 or 2014. The 2013 has '57 pickups and the 2014 has '59 pickups. The 2014's also have an anniversary inlay at the 12th fret, which I'd rather not have, but it's not a big deal.

Going up from there you can get into a Custom Shop Reissue LP. The R8 plain top seems to be the best value, and I like the looks of a plain top just fine. I worry that the extra chunky neck might be too much for my small hands, though, so I'd need to try one first.

The R9 looks like my ideal, but they are quite expensive, even used.

14. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Silver Member

Check out the Orville or Orville by Gibson guitars. Go to the My Les Paul forum and read up on them and the history. They are as close to real Gibson as you can legally get. I had an Orville LPC and the quality of these Japanese-made guitars would rival anything coming out of the USA.

15. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member

You should be on the lookout for a GOOD *USED* Epiphone. If you know what to look for you can get them for dirt. Though I no longer own them (traded up for a Gibson Standard) I got the brown burst for $200 and the Korean cherry burst for $300. I tweaked them a bit and they were positively awesome. Though the cherry was considered a better guitar I liked the brown burst better in many ways.

Good luck.

Attached Files:

16. Michael919

Michael919 Most Honored Senior Member

Another vote for Agile. Very good value for the money.

17. blade1158

blade1158 Strat-Talk Member

Michael Kelly makes a very nice LP style guitar. Check one out if you have the chance.

18. wildhawk

wildhawk Most Honored Senior Member

Never played one but there's been tons of positive comments all over the net the last few years to justify taking a close look at them.

19. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

What's your budget? I know the Japanese Tokais are good, but I haven't tried the Chinese ones. I would still buy one in preference to an Epiphone though as I can't stand the shape of that Epiphone headstock. I have heard good things said about the Chinese Burnys too.

Have you looked at the prices of used Gibson LP Studios? I grabbed one (with P90s) for only £500, & it's hard to think of anything that's better value than that.

20. agiehler

agiehler Strat-Talker

I've owned an Agile AL-3100 a few years back. Ebony board, MOP inlays, Alnico pickups, binding all over. I sold it as I'm a Fender man, but that guitar was great in terms of fit/finish/playability. At the time, that was their top of the line model I believe. For $420 you can't do any better. Unless you are a brand snob, forget Epiphone IMO. The agile was finished better, felt more solid, had bigger frets that were perfectly dressed, much better fretboard. The only downside for me is that they only offer one standard neck profile and they only offer poly finish. Both of those are personal preferences, but honestly now that we're talking about it I might order another one :twisted: