Goodbye Beer, Goodbye Wine and other things

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by misterwogan, Aug 1, 2020 at 6:27 AM.

1. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

Ever since my surgery on 10 June, I have had a serious problem with alcohol. I just don't enjoy it anymore. What were previously my daily tipples: Beer and Wine - I now cannot tolerate, the taste is just awful. I've being trying over last last weeks to just force it down, but now I've given up and have no beer or wine for a week. I'm keeping a bottle of Laphroaig single-malt scotch in the cupboard and had a double measure of this last night watching a film - the drink lasted me two hours!

I mentioned this to my doctors and they seemed to think that this was a good thing. I could only reply, "Are you feckin serious?, I'm Irish and now I have no vices at all, the Irish government will take my passport away". In much the same way, I now cannot tolerate fried bacon and eggs either. I've gone all continental with a wholemeal roll, German ham, cheese and salami for breakfast.

Whatever next???

Bcorig, Dare1, abnormaltoy and 12 others like this.
  2. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

About 8 months ago I had a health scare and had to change my eating habits, as in no more junk, especially at the WV level... I've lost 50 lbs, and something I'd never thought about: Eating junk food and eating out is expensive! The money we've saved by not doing so is quite noticeable. And of course, we all feel better...

And all that money can now go to new gear...

mabley123, rgale, bbarott and 9 others like this.
  3. BlurgyWurgyWibble

BlurgyWurgyWibble Strat-Talker

Similar situation, although for different reasons. It ocurred to me recently that every major mistake, screw up, failure in my adult life could be attributed to alcohol in some way or other.
    That and I realised it had become an excuse to avoid responsibility. Just one beer .. just one .. poof! Its the next day and I'm hungover. I'd be lying if I said I'd given up completely but I've stopped drinking spirits and stopped drinking daily. Aiming to just damn stop.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 12:54 PM
  4. soulman969

soulman969 Strat-O-Master

LOLOL.....now that IS a dilemma. A man without a country. :D

5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Stateless too huh? You're having a time and a half.

misterwogan likes this.
  6. soulman969

He's a Denver guy with a great rep and following. Paid his dues for many years before he got some recognition nationally and internationally with SOB. Love his stuff.

BlurgyWurgyWibble likes this.
  7. BlurgyWurgyWibble

BlurgyWurgyWibble Strat-Talker

Yeah, I was reading his bio recently. Huge respect.

He's got the basics right.

soulman969 likes this.
  8. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Intruder alert! Intruder alert! Strat-Talk Supporter

You can do it

9. Boubou

Boubou Strat-O-Master

Wine tastes like crap anyways, you won’t miss much

10. soulman969

He's a great song writer but unlike the '70s we're living in an era when the music industry does not always seek or reward great song writing skills. :(

BlurgyWurgyWibble likes this.
  11. stormsedge

stormsedge Strat-Talker

I really should change my eating habits. I've not missed alcohol for nearly 27 years, and like you, it has lost its luster. On to better things.

12. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Better to quit for that kind of health reason than some other things. Say, serious liver damage or something.

13. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Strat-O-Master

Tomorrow marks exactly six months off beer for me. I used to drink it just about every Thurs, Fri and Sat night. I haven't lost a pound (in fact, I've gained three) and any money I've saved has indeed been blown on gear.

I'm about ready to relapse.

misterwogan likes this.
  14. soulman969

Isn't it crazy how that happens.

For ten years I tried really hard to drink myself to death. I mean I'd be at the liquor store at 8:00 AM to stock up for the day and became thoroughly addicted both mentally and physically.

Today, or thereabouts, marks 10 years sober and what I once couldn't live without (and I really mean that) I don't give much thought to at all these days. Haven't been in a bar in years.

But the greatest benefit is all of the gear I can now own by not spending hundreds of dollars every month drinking myself into oblivion like some scene out of Leaving Las Vegas. :)

Gitrhack, xland, mabley123 and 5 others like this.
  15. misterwogan

I'v never done that. I just like to drink when I'm doing creative work and now that I have several months of convalesce (and more surgery) ahead of me, I was looking forward to drinking, playing and recording. But the surgery appears to have destroyed my palette.

Groovey, soulman969 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  16. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Practice, practice, practice... :D

If your palette is destroyed maybe you can now drink Bud without retching?

simoncroft, Groovey, Chont and 2 others like this.
  17. misterwogan

You're quite right as usual. I've just ordered 8 x San Miguel 5% from Aldi on Deliveroo. I don't have a lot of choice, remember - I'm housebound.

18. Hydr0

Hydr0 Strat-O-Master

you are complaining that you don't like alcohol anymore? I say consider yourself lucky and embrace it. I feel like you will now have an advantage in life over many others. Make no mistake, a vice is burden. Save the money you'd spend on alcohol and use it to buy guitars!!!...after a few years, you might be able it save up enough for a pre-CBS strat..think of it that way. Maybe you're just kidding about being upset? All i could say is Congrats!

rgale likes this.
  19. scampos

scampos Strat-Talker

Hello. I will make a different comment than most people. Sorry you lost the taste of things that were pleasurable for you. My father had the same thing many years back. He had a surgery, I don't remember what it was, and he told me that after that he could not taste anything other than milk! So, nothing had any taste! He lived off milk, yoghurt and such for a while. Luckily for him, these things are actually nutritious.

Well, it all came back. After a while (weeks, months ? I don't know) the tastes came back. He was a fan of whiskey as well, and he welcomed them back. He was not an alcoholic, and never drank more than a dose or two at a time, but having heart problems didn't help as he got older. But he enjoyed it while he could.

I hope it will come back to you as well.

misterwogan likes this.
  20. misterwogan

Thank you, your story has cheered me up a bit. I would not have cared about loosing my taste for alcohol if it had meant that I became better at the other things that I do - but I haven't unfortunately.

scampos likes this.