Join Strat-Talk Today

Got a 5e3 with some mods on eBay

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by SilvaStrat, Nov 9, 2019 at 8:01 PM.

Tags:
  1. SilvaStrat

SilvaStrat Strat-O-Master

I kind jumped on a auction , kind on impulse on eBay this morning , on a 5e3 , but I think I got a good deal after all , I got it for 500 delivery included , it have a bunch of mods done to it , I just want to know if you guys are familiar with those mods ,and or if they are good , I will list the seller add , and one picture, is all I got on info right now until it get here

sellers add

Up for sale here is my beloved modded Tweed Deluxe 1x12 tube combo amp. Normal channel has a great clean sound and the Bright channel excels at natural power tube overdrive. No master volume on this amp so you have to crank it to get it to break up.

A few mods were done to make this amp more versatile. First it has the 6G3 mod to isolate the Normal and Bright channels from each other so that adjusting the volume of one channel does not affect the other. Both the Normal and Bright channel coupling capacitor values were changed to tame excess bass. This really tightened up the overdrive on the Bright channel. The filter cap values were also changed in the power section to tighten up the bass as well.

This amp has adjustable cathode bias achieved with a knob located on the left side of the chassis. 1 ohm resistors are installed to make it easy to measure the bias on each 6V6GT power tube.

This amp has a Mercury Magnetics output transformer, vintage GE 6V6GT power tubes, a vintage GE 5Y3GT rectifier, and a nice vintage Westinghouse 12AX7. Finally, a 12 inch Eminence Wizard speaker was installed.

This was my favorite amp. Only selling because of car accident left me unable to play anymore. This is a good amp and needs to played and not collecting dust.

32A53971-2A51-45CC-9AC9-8ED9E369E2D3.jpeg

CB91710, Stratbats, 3bolt79 and 2 others like this.
  2. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

I do not know about the mods. I am building my first. But congrats on winning the auction. I think it is good score.

SilvaStrat likes this.
  3. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Some of these mods would not be desirable for me. Fortunately, schematics are readily available so reversing a mod should be straightforward. Make sure you know how to discharge the caps before you open up the amp. Safety first.

I would not want the channels isolated. The interaction is one of cool features of the amp.

Stratoskater, dbolt and SilvaStrat like this.
  4. roadhog96

roadhog96 Strat-O-Master

I was thinking the exact same thought, you said it first.

5. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Those mods while desirable for some would ruin the amp for others. This one below kills the beauty of the 5e3.
    This one below tells me something else is going on. You don't need a 1 ohm resistor to measure the voltage at the cathode. You just read the voltage there and divide by the cathode resistor value to get the current. This has been converted to fixed bias. So...another non-5e3 thing.
    A 12ax7 in v1. All buzz/gain no tone. Get a 12ay7. The JJ will be fine.
    The speaker. Wrong one. If you still have that Blue put it in there.

Lowering the value of the coupling caps is goofy. .1uf and the one .02uf. That's not how you tame the woof. I actually like the woof. You decrease the gain in the stages by lowering the value of the cathode bypass caps.

This may be a wonderful amp for you. But...well you know. It ain't a 5e3. Its a Frankenstein.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 10:26 PM
    Stratoskater, CB91710, Omar and 3 others like this.
  6. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I undid the mods to the 5E3 amp I bought a couple of years ago. No regrets.

7. fezz parka

My advice is to find a tech and return it to 5e3 specs. There may be other changes to the amp as well like the phase inverter.

You got it for a good price. And you may like it the way it is. But if you were really looking for the 5e3 experience, it won't be in that amp as it is now.

8. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

+1 on liking the woof of a 5E3. It’s part of what makes it a great amp.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019 at 12:04 AM
  9. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

The sum of all the parts and returning to generally stock specs seems like a good value for what he paid! Looks like a nice cabinet and mostly unmolested chassis, along with that pretty pricey Mercury transformer and the workmanship is at least so, so! I'd be really interested to see what the seller is calling "adjustable cathode bias" just for the info's sake. I can understand how the cathode bias could be made variable, but I'm not really sure I see any benefit to it!

Seems Like A Deal To Me!
    Gene

dirocyn likes this.
  10. fezz parka

Look at the pic.

Screenshot_2019-11-09-21-58-55.png

It's fixed bias like I said a few posts up. Pays to read the thread.;)

Nate D likes this.
  11. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster

Silva,
    It's good to see that you follow recommendations and suggestions from the wise folks here at strat talk. I have relied on the wisdom of our fellow members to steer me in my direction for the "holy grail" sound. It was only a few weeks ago that a 5e3 was suggested, something you apparently looked into.
    I got mine about 6 months ago and love it to death.

It's exciting when you have several "go to" amps, to get that sound out of your head.

Play the heck out of it with your variety of guitars, you may really love it that way. If you do keep it that way. You can always pick up another fully stock 5e3.

ENJOY!

PS: it's nice to have such a motivated member with us.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019 at 5:30 AM
    Nate D and SilvaStrat like this.
  12. hexnut

hexnut Strat-Talker

I don't buy any thing that's been modified but that's just me.

SilvaStrat likes this.
  13. The Ballzz

Thanks. I did read the thread and was still curious as to if what the seller had alluded to having been done was actually something different, unusual or stupid! He did supposedly use the phrase "adjustable cathode bias" which would definitely be a different thing altogether and that pic did not show me clearly enough to see where that pot was tied into and/or what was actually going on, unless I make assumptions! Either way, it all looks like reversible stuff, other than the drilled hole and at least it was not a vintage piece that got butchered!

And yeah, I realize I'm likely considered by some, or even most as a troll, but I mean no harm to anyone. Just a bored old fart who doesn't really know what else to do on Friday or Saturday nights when I should be gigging, like I've done for the rest of my life!

Thanks For Keepin' Me Honest,
    Gene

Miotch, fezz parka and SilvaStrat like this.
  14. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

FYI @SilvaStrat i’m glad you got a 5E3 for a great price. I think you’re real close to getting that thing back to in fighting shape as a 5E3.

If you like it the way it is, rock it. No sweat and no harm at all. You do you man.

CB91710 likes this.
  15. fezz parka

You can see the diodes in reverse polarity. Can't see the cap....but its got to be there somewhere. And the other clincher for fixed bias is the old 1 ohm resistor on the cathode to ground. You wouldn't need that if the cap and resistor was there. You'd just read the voltage there and divide by the resistor's value to get the current.

Text in ads can be tricky. Especially when people don't understand that fixed bias doesn't mean what they think it means. :D

Triple Jim likes this.
  16. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Let us know how it sounds !!

jrbirdman likes this.
  17. The Ballzz

You make a good point! In the end, the answer to that query is what really matters, whether it theoretically should sound good or not!

The Tweed Need Indeed?
    Gene

Miotch likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.