Got a 5e3 with some mods on eBay

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by SilvaStrat, Nov 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

It’s not a master. There is a normal and bright channel and they both have a volume knob. The cool thing with the 5e3 is the unused channel still affects the channel you’re plugged in to. Then the tone knob acts as a kind of gain/dirt control in addition to altering the tone. This is the magic of the 5e3 and how you get all the different tones out of it. You said the owner modded it to make the volume knobs not interactive, this is why it is doing nothing. This is the one mod I would never do to a 5e3.

Google how 5e3 volumes interact and you will find several videos showing how it’s supposed to work.

dbolt, Nate D and SilvaStrat like this.
  2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Most Honored Senior Member

No, originally it had two volume controls for the two input channels. One is for the "bright" channel and one is for the normal channel. They are early in the preamp, and are sometimes known as "gain" these days.

You said that someone removed the usual interaction between the two volume controls, so this is probably the result.

Edit: I didn't notice the second page, so I hadn't seen @Stratoskater's post when I wrote this.

Stratoskater, Nate D and SilvaStrat like this.
  3. SilvaStrat

SilvaStrat Strat-O-Master

Hum , I understood now , sorry guys I am a bit slow , :D, so the volume is what it is , I thought it was a bit louder because of the volume mod

4. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster

Eminence speakers are just top shelf across the board from what I can tell. You can’t go wrong - they’re all high end. I’ve had 4 different ones and they are killer.

5. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Not his Rob. This one, while it may work for him, is not a 5e3 anymore. Fixed bias, summing node to cut down on the interactivity. It's more 6g3 than 5e3.

SilvaStrat, Stratoskater and Nate D like this.
  6. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Senior Stratmaster

Nice at any rate. I'd enjoy it, exploit it, and when its time, maybe return it to a 5e3 one mod at a time. Or not. Its still tweedy, which is the main thing for me, and my go-to, favorite tone family of all.

SilvaStrat and EC Strat like this.