Got a Player Strat - any mods/quick fix to make it shine?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by piage84, Sep 20, 2021.

1. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

I don't know where you're getting the idea that the Armstrong mod somehow creates a kind of long distance humbucker. It does not.

Humbucking relies on having two coils wound, or wired, in opposite directions relative to each other. The ac current induced in one coil is 180 degrees out of phase with the equal or near equal current induced in the second. The two signals therefore cancel each other put.

If you connect two identical pickups, the coils therefore wound or wired in the same direction as each other in parallel or in series, the effect will actually be to increase hum, not defeat it.

Moreover, the Armstrong mod does not produce the same audio tone as a proper humbucker concentrated at the bridge or the neck, so thinking you create an HSH guitar audio wise is misguided as well.

2. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I put a color coordinated strap and beer bottle washers on mine. Perfect:thumb:.

totost likes this.
  3. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

[​IMG]

Really... you should let us see this Player Strat!

piage84 and Cerb like this.
  4. ThreeChordWonder

From personal experience with my HSS Player Strat bought last year:

1. Check the tuner nuts (the big ones holding the tuners in place through the headstock are tight. Mine weren't on either my Player Strat or my Player Tele.
    2. Same with the neck to body screws.
    3. Proper setup: truss rod/neck relief, string height, intonation, check for sharp notes near the neck, adjust the nut as needed.
    4. Check for high frets. You can try whacking them with a rubber mallet before getting the files out.
    5. Extra springs or tighten the trem claw, or both.
    6. Decent strings.
    7. Pickup heights.
    8. Locking tuners (meh) or better still Fender Vintage slotted ones.
    9. Electronics mods - wire the volume and tone Telecaster style and use the redundant tone pot as a blender. Don't do it the Armstrong way, use my way. It works better because it's self defeating in P-3, 4, and of course 5, and the bridge pickup can't be active in P-3, P-4 or P-5.
    10. New pickups. For an SSS I recommend Seymour Duncan SSL-1 bridge and neck, SSL-1 RWRP middle. YMMV of course. You WILL get humbucking in P-2 and P-4 if you use a RWRP middle, but connecting identical winding a polarity pickups won't humbuck..
    11. Fret sprout. Wait until your guitar has acclimatized to its new home first.

SSS Strat Type Neck Blend w Push Push Self Defeats and No Bridge in P-3 to P-5.jpg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  5. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

its your guitar of course but ... you just got it.

I hate to repeat what's been already repeated but I'd play it for a while and see what you think of it before you change anything. its one thing to file some sharp fret ends but why mod things just for the sake of modding ... maybe it already shines.

CtStrat, budglo and piage84 like this.
  6. totost

totost Strat-Talker

dont know what happen with some players strat but i will never trade mine for suhr, or no others guitars, i had some american serie strat and standard, very happy with the player ,this guitar give me all the sounds i want, nothing wrong with stocks pickups, i put d allen tru 62 on my player number one and d allen dover on my player number 2, just personal choice

piage84 likes this.
  7. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-O-Master

If it plays great, sounds great, frels great.. Keep playing.
    Any mod would be a Callaham block if the arm is wobbly or loose. Is what i usually switch out.
    Locking tuners is not a mandatory upgrade

8. piage84

piage84 Strat-Talk Member

You are right!

Forgot to do that

Attached Files:

Justin226, AndyF, Willmunny and 3 others like this.
  9. piage84

piage84 Strat-Talk Member

Not sure how to properly use this forum yet!! I can't cancel this second post! :)

10. Leofender

Leofender Strat-Talker

SHINE you say... Give her a good old rub down with some polish!

lol

CalicoSkies, WhiteWabbit and piage84 like this.
  11. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

Looks like a keeper to me! And if no one has suggested it yet, you might give the guitar time to adjust to the humidity in your house before you file/sand the fret ends: the fingerboard may simply be dry and has only shrank a bit because of it.

12. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Strat-Talker

I replaced the stock tuners with the Fender locking model. Its a direct replacement. I then took the strings out from under the string trees, cleaned and lubed the nut. That was it. I am rather liking the stock electronics. I am tempted of late to drop the single humbucker guard in it and EVH out for a while though... :)

Je1279 and aviamsi like this.
  13. ThreeChordWonder

Seymour Duncan Hotrails, JB Junior or Pearly Gates mini humbucker in the bridge.:thumb:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  14. DonP

DonP Strat-Talk Member

You might want to rethink this as you bought your guitar used.

The frets may have been fine when they left the Fender factory, but after a year plus in your dry country the neck wood may have shrunk.

I have a 2021 Player's Series bought new. The fret ends are perfect. But winter is coming and I won't be surprised if I have to do some fret work.

I bought a 2009 MIM cheap because of fret ends, and a 2019 cheap because it also needed fret end work.

I haven't found any upgrades yet (2-3 months), but I have some Highwood saddles I might use because I hate the hand slicer Fender saddles with the poking height screws. I might put a spacer under the string tree. I have a set of Fender locking tuners when the strings wear out. Just little things. I might try the blender mod.

15. AJS000

AJS000 Strat-Talk Member

I've just got my 2008 USA Standard Strat back.
    Got Gen4 noiseless pickups put in.

Blocked tremolo, TBX tone & mid boost.

A **** load of routing was done. So had a local expert luthier do the mods.
    Had to re-rout the original pickup routing to make it deeper for new pickups.

Gutted to find the body is HSH universally routed from factory.
    Guess all standard Strats were like that back then.

16. Je1279

Je1279 Strat-Talk Member

I have some future plans in the works but for now I added Fender locking tuners, a Fender Elite Strat bridge (flat saddles and push in trem arm) and a Fender Elite Strat string tree.

17. ThreeChordWonder

^The aftermarket roller string tree rollers actually roll. The Fender ones don't.

Good call on the trem, but I found aftermarket block saddles were all I needed.

I have Fender staggered height locking tuners on both my MIMs but used Kluson locking tuners on both my DIY Strats. My DIY Teles all use Fender Vintage split shaft tuners.

Je1279 likes this.
  18. bigreen505

bigreen505 Strat-Talk Member

If you have a good local luthier, take it to them for a full setup. and maybe a new nut. In my experience, quality control on the Player guitars is terrible, which doesn't mean they're bad, just that a lot of little things as already covered in this thread slip through, and the difference between the good ones and not so good ones is pretty big. It also means that having a good luthier who knows Strats inside and out go through the instrument and yield noticeable improvements.

Je1279 likes this.
  19. stylemessiah

stylemessiah Strat-Talker

Send it back and buy a proper Strat with a 6 screw trem and vintage Klusons

If thats not an option, anything else in the thread :)

20. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

I just picked one of these up last week. And promptly did the fret ends on both of the guitars in my avatar. They weren't causing any problems. I just felt like doing it. Knocked all the corners off of the fret ends. It seems to have helped a little. No more sharp pokey bits to catch your skin.

piage84 likes this.