1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Got a speeding ticket this morning

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Lonn, Oct 17, 2020.

1. uncle daddy

uncle daddy Strat-Talker

I'm normally respectful when it comes to the police, but the pull was total BS and he knew it.

nickmsmith likes this.
  2. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

In California, they have a "penalty assessment" (tax) tacked onto most all fines.
    Pretty much any moving violation is going to cost you $300+
    Cell phone and seat belt violations are $162 for the first offense
    Most equipment violations are $196+
    Actual moving violations start at $237, red-light violations are $490.

CASpeed.jpg

3. Paignton boy

Paignton boy Strat-Talk Member

And this is why we’re getting out of the EU

nadzab, Numbercruncher and nickmsmith like this.
  4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

Lol

duzie likes this.
  5. duzie

duzie Senior Stratmaster

Driving the speed limit on the highways here in NJ may get you killed .

Stratbats, TIMB, space and 4 others like this.
  6. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

Yeah, obviously this fellow has not driven on US highways very often. If you’re going 20 mph over in California, you may get trampled for being too slow. Everyone’s in a rush.. all the time.

soulman969, duzie and CB91710 like this.
  7. CB91710

Yep.
    Being respectful and apologetic is the easiest way to "talk" yourself out of a ticket.
    Yes sir, no sir, I don't know sir, I'm sorry sir.....

That all works a lot better than "I pay your salary and I'm not answering any questions!"

15 years ago, I blew a stop sign and clipped a guy making a left in front of me.
    4-lane road, shadows from trees, and a slipping stop sign in the middle of nowhere. Honestly, it was not a legal configuration, as there was one sign outside of the 15 degree cone of vision.

Regardless, motorcycle officer took statements from the other guy and his kids, then came over to me.
    "On the phone?"
    "Didn't bring it with me"
    "What happened?"
    "I ****ed up"
    Dropping his notepad to his side, "Ok, now give me something I can put in my report"
    "Didn't see the stop sign"

He did not issue a ticket. I expected one to show up in the mail, but I never got it, even though he was completely within his rights to cite me for it.

2 years later, the city installed a signal, so I have a feeling that was not an uncommon occurrence.

Yep... you can talk your way into jail or a ticket by answering questions, but you can also talk your way out by being honest.

8. CB91710

Same in CA... you'll end up being a hood ornament if you aren't doing 5-10 over.

Particularly now with freeway traffic being lighter. CHP has reported a huge increase in tickets for 100+, and accidents have been increasing in severity.

soulman969 and duzie like this.
  9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

Sammy says "Hi!"

10. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Senior Stratmaster

Oui monsieur!

Toured around France and Europe for eight weeks in 2018. All the folk from everywhere were really cool. No tickets but having a US license plate made me a lot less concerned about blowing through camera traps.

NC

11. jayoldschool

jayoldschool Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Did you ask to see the radar display? You're allowed to. Did that for my last ticket I got in the US. Trooper said no problem, we walked back to the car, and my ticketed speed was flashing on the gun display. Paid the ticket. You're not a bad person, a ticket is just a tax.

CB91710 and StratoMutt like this.
  12. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Age old game which focuses on some state citing out of state drivers for just enough over the limit to make it a major traffic offense and a big $$$ fine.

For instance. Would I be guessing right if I guessed the posted limit was 70?

So he cites you for 91. Not 90. Not 85. Not 88 or 89 but exactly one mile more than 20 mph over which then makes it a more major offense with a much higher fine and probably double the points. Cute trick huh?

Iowa is another state famous for playing this game. As you travel across country on I80 posted speed limits are typically 75 mph or more and states like Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, and even Nebraska aren't very picky about enforcing it especially when you're in the middle of where the **** am I and the roads are straight, clear, and mostly unoccupied.

Even on I76 from Denver to the Nebraska border it's not uncommon to be doing 75-80 mph and have a car pass you doing 100 or semis on your tail.

But.....magically in Iowa the posted limit drops to 70 mph and if you've been truckin' along for 500-1000 miles doing 80-90 mph with impunity you best remind yourself you're in Iowa and you should not be "corn-fused" about it either because the state smokies will nail you especially in those spots where they cleverly drop the posted limit down to 60 mph.

It's the only part of my 1100 mile annual drive back to Wisconsin where I'm always looking over my shoulder or in a median for unmarked state patrol jobbers and I kick my speed back to 70 mph and live with it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    JP68 likes this.
  13. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Sorry Dad.....I've learned my lesson and promise never to do it again.:oops::rolleyes:

nickmsmith and CB91710 like this.
  14. rockon1

rockon1 Strat-O-Master

Haven't gotten a ticket in 16 years. Almost did last november though. Train went by and I failed to wait until the lights stopped flashing. The gates were already up. Its a 180 ticket but far worse its 5 points against your license. I think 6 and you gotta go to drivers classes. He gave me a warning as I fumbled for 10 minutes trying to find my registration, lol.

15. mad axe man

mad axe man Senior Stratmaster

91 in a 55 or 65?

stratnutz likes this.
  16. Nick L Plate

Nick L Plate Strat-Talk Member

Lots of fantasy and posturing here. Once a policman has initiated the procedure, you're going to get a ticket 99% of the time because all their actions are logged and an officer has just about no discretion. They're there to generate revenue, and often have to write a set number of tickets. Letting you go works against them in their job. Mouthing off is a self-defeating, impulse-control failure. Unless you can clearly see an error in the procedure, you're not going to get out of getting a ticket. You can roll the dice on the cop not appearing at the court date, or there being as technical issue if you contest the ticket, but odds are against you, big time. More likely, you'll pay more. Thing is, if you're speeding, you're speeding. Avoiding the high MPH penalty, and of course avoiding "reckless driving" are important objectives, if you have a chance of proving your case, which most of us do not. Sorry. This is why speeding tickets such and why I never exceed 72 mph in a 65 mph zone, because that's the margin they give you most places.

soulman969 likes this.
  17. valor19

valor19 Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

Last time I got a speeding ticket I went to court and the office never showed. In addition, he never filed his part of the paperwork apparently. So the ticket was dismissed.

soulman969 likes this.
  18. valor19

valor19 Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

Also, if you are from out of state I think the ticket is merely a fine and does not show as a driving infraction on the record of the state you live in, and should not raise your insurance. At least, that is what happened to me the one time I got a ticket from a different state. It was just a hefty fine. Not much they can do with my license from a different state. Don't get me wrong, the fine still sucked.

19. stratnutz

stratnutz Senior Stratmaster

Guilty as Charged!

20. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

Every time I drive on I-85 in AL between Opelika and Montgomery it's like a racetrack. I was going over there about once a month last year, driving from Atlanta. If I'm going 80 it seems too slow. The only time I've seen a trooper or local cop was when there was an accident.