Got really frustrated with my playing the other day

wyldelife

Strat-Talker
Sep 30, 2011
Norway
Got really fed up with my playing the other day.

I was trying to make a video where I improvised over this backing track and did five attempts in total. Halfway through the fifth try I got really frustrated with myself.

I found myself playing very boring lines that didn’t really say anything at all.

When I get frustrated playing guitar, I tend to take it out on the guitar in the form of playing very heavy handed.

It doesn’t always work in my favor, but this was one instance where it produced some usable tones.

Here’s the result:

Ever had something like this happen to you? Where a certain feeling, be it anger or sadness, helped you up your game a little bit?

nungesser

crash into your windshield of love
Apr 28, 2014
Ireland
"change is as good as a rest"
I usually have to just relax and play something really really simple and just focus on the rhythm or beat or even mute the strings and just play kind of percussively

RadioFM74

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 5, 2016
Italy and Switzerland

I was trying to make a video where I improvised over this backing track and did five attempts in total. Halfway through the fifth try I got really frustrated with myself.

I found myself playing very boring lines that didn’t really say anything at all.

When I get frustrated playing guitar, I tend to take it out on the guitar in the form of playing very heavy handed.

It doesn’t always work in my favor, but this was one instance where it produced some usable tones.

Here’s the result:

Ever had something like this happen to you? Where a certain feeling, be it anger or sadness, helped you up your game a little bit?

Well, sometimes what "bores" us and we consider to be "being stuck in a rut" is actually pretty good to everyone else's ears. Your improv hear sounds very good. I have to constantly remind myself: you don't have to jump through a loop backwards to make good music, and sometimes that good old phrase can still sound fresh…

As for harnessing whatever feeling carries you up and through – I'd say it's an important ability for an improviser. If you're feeling that "heavy handed" lends feeling to your phrases, follow that vibe. Do whatever – so long as it makes you inspired.

Danny D

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 2, 2019
The swampy desert.

Here’s the result:

You sound great! Really digging the pocket. You're in there my friend. And the tone...oh the tone.

98bigapple

Strat-Talker
Feb 14, 2018
North Carolina
Very nice. Sweet tone and phrasing. I find sometimes I pick up my guitar, solo over some backing track and everything is magic. And some days I can put on the same exact track and everything is awful. It's like it's in the air.

Heavyriff

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 8, 2019
NE PA
Channel your anger grasshopper. The result is worthy. I get so pissed off sometimes when playing the drums that i just let loose and beat the s**t out of them and that I could care less attitude can actually lead to progress.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
Channel your anger grasshopper. The result is worthy. I get so pissed off sometimes when playing the drums that i just let loose and beat the s**t out of them and that I could care less attitude can actually lead to progress.

THIS...

If you feel bored that's what comes out in your playing. Don't get caught up in a loop.. Which is what you did..boredom, no matter how expressed is just not interesting. Anger or any other emotion with passion is.

WhiteWabbit

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 6, 2014
Canada
Beautiful stuff! I got into a physical altercation (not quite a fight) during a jam once that led to my playing going to another level. Any emotion be it sadness, anger or joy can bring out great inspired playing.

dublindave8456

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 22, 2019
dublin, ireland

Here’s the result:

well .....

that was outstanding......
have you still got take one ?
so we can compare....
maybe it wasn't so bad......

Chipss36

Strat-O-Master
Oct 1, 2018
Texas
It such a strange thing, sometimes you need to lay off a week or so,
Sometimes play through it. As you did here and find something new, and tasty.

sometimes it takes the woodshed, and learning new stuff…

sometimes change things up, put away the electric and study classical or something.

But by god keep er movin…