Join Strat-Talk Today

Got some work to do on this one

Discussion in 'Ace's BASS Place' started by ido1957, Nov 30, 2019.

1. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

I needed a bass for the jam I play at. Budget was around $300. Having played a friend's Fender Precision Elite I can say with confidence, this is not an Elite lol. It's a Squier Affinity I picked it up this week at L & M.

I ordered a file for the fret sprout, and the action and neck will need attention once that is done. It actually sounds ok, through the old Ampeg combo we have in the backline.

Looking forward to tinkering with this to see how much it can be improved - with the stock parts. I'm not planning on any upgrades, just make it easier to play.

IMG_2410.JPG

2. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

HNBD!

ido1957 likes this.
  3. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Senior Stratmaster

A worthwhile endeavor ( well, maybe :whistling: ) !!!

ido1957 likes this.
  4. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Looks like a fun project. My first bass was an old Dean Hollywood blue burst like this one.

SANY5518_zps68fc8ff7.jpg

vid1900 likes this.
  5. ido1957

Yep - I've taken the plunge and started tinkering with setting my guitar up. It's mainly economic now that I'm retired and watching my pennies. My normal luthier tech has nothing to worry about. He may actually see this one in his shop if I screw it up enough. Happy Thanksgiving All.

6. ido1957

Finished almost the entire setup after probably 4 hours of working on it.

truss rod - way out, at least a full half turn CCW to correct it.

bridge saddles - lowered the E the rest were good.

nut - filed the E slot a bit, A just a touch.

intonation - was really long process as it was hard to get a steady reading on the tuner but eventually I got it. E and A had large amount of adjustments (they were sharp)

fret sprout - I just did the G side fret sprout from 12th fret up. Then figured I would wait for the block I ordered because using a small file was too tedious. I scratched the edge of the fretboard on the G side a bit - took some of the varnish off the edge. But this is a cheapie so I don't really care. I did get rid of enough sprout to make it so it doesn't not cut my hand anymore lol.

Hoping the block comes soon but Amazon says 10 days which is unusual but maybe it's coming from China.

7. ido1957

So I used a file to file off the fret ends - what grit sandpaper would I use to smooth out the rough edges or polish the fret ends and the edge tops so they are smooth?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.