Join Strat-Talk Today

Gotta get a Flying V

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Thunderhopkins8, Jul 7, 2019.

1. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

The V. What other guitar looks just as at home playing some blues licks as it does riffing out some Metallica? I don’t know if I’d go as far as saying they have a distinct tone but they are light and very comfortable to play ala ‘classical style’. Avoid though if you prefer to play while slouching on the couch.

Thunderhopkins8 likes this.
  2. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

Just the opposite. Sitting with the V is super comfy. The back v part around your leg. I did not believe that, until I got mine together and put it to use.

Dope, nah. I do use mine working thru method books.

3. helsinkirocks

helsinkirocks Strat-Talker

I'm a lefty also! Vs are my favorite shape for sure. Gibson actually currently offers a lefty V (found it on ZZSounds and AMS)
    [​IMG]

I also own a few myself.

Jackson RRXT
    [​IMG]

A parts"caster" v (still in progress)
    [​IMG]

And my crown jewel, a GJ2 Concorde 5 Star Special Edition. Only 10 were made, this is likely the only lefty. Handbuilt and signed by Grover Jackson.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  4. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Yep... Got a Kramer Focus 4000 (RR style) V. It's really comfy as long as I remember to grab the 90 degree cable.
    Jackson used a Strat style jack on the upper fin... for some reason, Kramer stuck a regular flat plate on the lower fin adjacent to the control cavity.
    One of these days I'm going to mod the thing and refinish it. It was my only guitar for close to 8 years and shows its age.

5. Thunderhopkins8

Thunderhopkins8 Strat-O-Master

What’s the tone like on V’s?

6. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

My favorite V shaped guitar is the Jackson Rhoades . They had one at GC near me last year and I was surprised at how comfortable and easy to play it was !

7. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

I'm not into V's at all.. but I am a huge fan Michael Burks.. they didn't call him Iron Man for nothing, and he's wringing the the neck of that V for sure.. RIP Mr Burks.. :thumb:

8. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Actually I would think a symmetrical Flying V like a Gibson would be the easiest electric to just flip over without looking weird.

[​IMG]

TomH8, JB74 and Thunderhopkins8 like this.
  9. Paul47

Paul47 Strat-Talker

I recently picked up this damaged new Epiphone Flying V for basically half price. It had separated at the neck joint after taking a whack. Nothing too serious, just a quick glue and clamp job. I put a screw in the back just to make sure nothing would move and it's been solid as a rock. I'll remove the screw and dowel it properly at some point. I put a set of Seth Lovers in it and man this thing sings. The neck is really nice and chunky, unlike the Gibson 'The V' I had back in the day. It weighs next to nothing as well.
    V1.jpg V2.jpg

Edbso, CB91710 and Thunderhopkins8 like this.
  10. davidKOS

davidKOS still at it Strat-Talk Supporter

I just cannot play a V, the body shape is wrong for me.

As for the SG, why, I love them...they were the improved Les Paul! I've had several SG's over the years.

11. Thunderhopkins8

Thunderhopkins8 Strat-O-Master

Ironic how Les Paul himself didn’t like the way SG’s looked. From what I’ve read, SG’s are Gibson’s best selling guitar.

davidKOS likes this.
  12. davidKOS

davidKOS still at it Strat-Talk Supporter

They definitely outsold a lot of other models in their time period.

Les also was ready to drop the Gibson endorsement as he was divorcing Mary Ford and didn't want to fork out any more money to her.

The first SG's were Les Pauls:

https://www.vintageguitar.com/1817/gibson-sg-les-paul/

[​IMG]

"Developed under the aegis of Ted McCarty and introduced as the “new Les Paul,” the SG heralded new directions and a new marketing emphasis for Gibson"

CB91710 and Thunderhopkins8 like this.
  13. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

I had one. I sold it almost as fast as the Firebird VII I had. ;)

Neil.C, JB74 and davidKOS like this.
  14. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

shecksy!

JB74 likes this.
  15. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

I have said elsewhere that I was never an SG guy, and yet there is one in 'the room'. I always maintain it belongs to SWMBO, but she hasn't been playing it much... and I have. Yeah, the guy who doesn't like SG's...

The pickups in it are 'classic 61' sweet and full of all the vintage sound you'd expect from a much older instrument. I sincerely do not know if we simply lucked on this instrument, or if it were breathed on by the guitar gods or what.... but there is something about it that I just cannot put into words and it prevents me from moving it on.

I dare not mess with it, in case I get some bad juju or something too.

and it's a common run-of-the-mill 2018 SG standard in the autumn fade or whatever it was called. tobacco burst is probably the accurate description.

I've never owned a V.

I still want that black gibson custom flying V... because it looks great. I can't afford the hendrix monterey anniversary one, but that would be a holy grail guitar if one came my way.

I think all of those gibsons are polarizing.... the v, the moderne, the firebird, the RD artist.... plenty of "intrinsic beauty" in the eyes of the beholder...

And for me they'd only be a purchase if I "had spare cash" and that's not something that I can forsee.

Thunderhopkins8 and davidKOS like this.
  16. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Since we're sharing and all...here's my Vs
    [​IMG]

Believer7713, CB91710, Nick-O and 4 others like this.
  17. wmachine

wmachine Strat-Talker

Yes, "gotta have one" in the mix. Nothing like a V.

[​IMG]

JB74, dbolt and Thunderhopkins8 like this.
  18. kris ford

kris ford Strat-O-Master

I used to own this looker, have owned like 3 black ones, 2 faded, and this creamy thing:
    v3.PNG
    One of the black ones was a GRECO..pretty nice actually! I "Gibson-ized it": ( should I self report to mark Agnesi? ;) )
    010_1.jpg

All and all, a solid rock tone, but somewhwere between a LP and SG (would definitely say a V doesn't have a signature sound to be totally honest..)

19. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

The first decent electric I had was an ultra V style - frustrating to sit with - it was made by Guild, and was in the late 80's shredder vein complete with a Kahler locking trem.
    As a result, I never took to V's, until I got to play an actual Gibson, vintage style V - holy cow, the tone was immense! Don't know if it was the pickups or all that extra wood down near the bridge, but it was one of that fattest sounding electrics I had ever played.

20. strattopper

strattopper Strat-Talker

Love mine... 2016 Gibson Flying V T
    [​IMG]

JB74, dbolt and Thunderhopkins8 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.